Menu

coping techniques when you feel like you are "losing it"

I feel that I can't really discuss this with my friends/family IRL because they are either dealing with major problems of their own or are as concerned as I am. My 15 year old dd is having major leg surgery on the 21st of this month and it has been hanging over my head for several months. Two days before Christmas I found out that my mom has uterine cancer and is having surgery on January 19th. Two days before Christmas we found out that my oldest daughter is suffering from depression/anxiety and OCD and this has been very stressful. On top of all of that I have had chronic severe pain since October that the doctor can't figure out. I was put on a pain pill which apparently I am addicted to because when I ran out a few days ago I had major withdrawal symptoms that night. I'm back on it now but hate to be on it. My bloodwork was abnormal so I am seeing a rheumatologist today so hopefully he will be able to help me.

I realize that many people have it worse than I do but sometimes I feel like I am "losing it". I'm a christian and pray about this every day but it doesn't seem to help. Because of the pain I am unable to exercise very much so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm also having chronic severe fatigue so I spend much of my "free time" in bed.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer any additional coping techniques. I know that I will get through this but it's going to be a long month.

You need to bundle up (if it's cold) and sit in the sunshine every chance you get. Sip some tea or coffee. Flip through a magazine or read a few pages from a new book. Find spare moments to refresh yourself with quiet...no phone calls, no homeschool obligations, no negative thoughts. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug:

The only way I get any relief from things like this is talking to my husband, and he tends to "talk me down". He will go through certain steps with me to put things into perspective. It helps if you have someone you can lean on during this time.

And, it is important to make time for yourself, alone. Even if it is only for 5 minutes.

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes, you just want to lock yourself away from the world for a while and pray it all goes away.

One other thing, it always helps me to write these things down. It tends to keep my mind busy, and then I can fold that paper up and put it away, like giving myself permission to stop thinking about it for a while.

:grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Everyone has given you good advice and support here. You DO have alot on your plate -- (and I thought I had alot on mine --:001_huh:) --

Meditate -- that's my best advice -- sorry, it's the best I can do. Just little snippets of the day here and there. Present moment awareness -- even with all that is swirling around you, take time to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and try to clear your mind of everything and simply repeat a phrase or word that gives you some amount of peace -- (ex: Jesus, Lord have mercy, a few words from scripture) -- sometimes if I have a panic attack in the middle of the night (and those have been happening frequently lately), I will go into one of my kids' rooms and sit by their bedside and listen to their breathing - it is even, it is slow, it is an odd little thing that works for me - I will usually fall asleep sitting on the floor at their bedside.

And if you 'google' Present Moment Awareness' - there is a book written by someone named 'Shannon' something and it is the simplest, easiest way to begin calming your mind. When you have time and energy for the big guns, get a copy of The Presence Process by Michael Brown (I think that's his name) -- it's big guns, but it works.

In the meantime -- :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

What helps me:

vitamin D

vitamin B

sunlight

fresh air

exercise...even if its just walking to the end of the block and thinking about things. Seriously, a different place, alone, can really help focus your thoughts/prayers.

Also, keeping my diet in check. Limiting sugars and carbs. Having enough protein. No junk.

I'm sorry things are so hard. My sister had your symptoms and doing an allergy test and eliminating gluten and several other things helped her. Even now she'll have a little flour and she'll feel it in her joints and general lethargy. She spent 2 years before this on pain pills and it was the final straw in her marriage, but she had family and friends to help her put everything back together.

Which leads me to my final piece of advice, let some people know that things are hard. Let them help you, pray for you, talk to you. My youngest has a debilitating, progressive epilepsy. So often I've tried to protect my friends and family, but doing that deepened the wound inside. I've had to learn to let people minister to me. Sometimes that's hard, but its an important thing to do. Human connections are really vital at these times.

Thanks for the ideas. I found out that I have fibromyalgia and I'm also being tested for a few other things. I'm on a different medication so I'm hoping that will help.

I ended up calling a friend yesterday and that really helped. I'm also trying to force myself to take a few minutes to read or listen to music and that has helped a bit. I will just be glad when January is over with.

Thanks for the ideas. I found out that I have fibromyalgia and I'm also being tested for a few other things. I'm on a different medication so I'm hoping that will help.

I ended up calling a friend yesterday and that really helped. I'm also trying to force myself to take a few minutes to read or listen to music and that has helped a bit. I will just be glad when January is over with.

I was researching something the other day and came across a thread of people talking about how taking GABA has helped their fibro immensely. Maybe you could look into that for getting some relief?

More :grouphug: