Menu

Teaching Textbooks vs. Math Mammoth

I'm looking at both of these to use with my ds10 and dd11. We were using RS but it just isn't getting done and my dc don't seem to like it. I want to switch to something that they can do by themselves. I'm looking into a more teacher intensive history program so I really need to free up some time where I can. Math seems to be the one subject I wouldn't mind my dc working on by themselves. Besides the price, for those of you who have used both, which do you prefer? I like TT because it seems more visual and I think it would work well for my ds10 who is a slow learner. Others who have used one or the other are welcome to give their reviews as well. Thanks!

We use both TT & MM blue (along with Singapore and others). This hybrid approach works well here. I don't try and align the lessons.

Take the placement test for TT. Dd6 is doing TT3. Dd7 is finishing up TT4 soon.

I love the MM approach. Maria is a genius. You can't go wrong blending the 2 programs, imho. (Or, in my case, 3+ programs) :)

Although TT is 'independent' -- as well as MM (written to the student) -- mom/dad still need to be intimately involved with math instruction...daily. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

We tried TT for a month and then returned it. We went back to MM. I think MM gives better explanations. You might want to look at CLE math (Chrisian Light Education) as another independent option. We use MM and CLE (different kids). I like them both. MM is mastery approach and CLE is spiral.

Gently, I caution against letting math be wholly independent. If things go poorly in math it is much more difficult to get back on track than if things go awry with history. :) Even though we use two programs that are worktext in format (instructions are written to the student), I still check in with them frequently. :)