Menu

Tell me what I am looking for!

delaney

Okay I feel like I am in unsettled curriculum land. I feel disjointed. I would like something that connects all areas of learning so the daily flow is more natural. I feel like we shift gears all day! Please some veteran mama tell me what I am looking for!!!:confused:

Guest RecumbentHeart

Hmm .. you mean something like a Unit study approach? Heart of Dakota has that from what I've seen. I'm not familiar with others that are out there although Living Books Curriculum links art and music study and even parts of science (maybe some other relevant subjects) up with history.

I used to feel that way too. I now use MFW which connects history, science and bible plus adds tons of fun stuff that I would not think to do on my own (music, cooking, art, read alouds etc.). I also use Phonics Road which puts all of my LA together. I can not say enough good things about PR--it rocks. Then, I pretty much add math to the mix and I am good. (math is Math Mammoth) I went from curriculum wilderness to curriculum paradise. (OK as much as one can this side of heaven) I wonder what curriculum is in heaven--can you imagine?! ;)

You've also got a lot of separate components. If you could find a way to integrate some of those there wouldn't be so much skipping around. Some of them could also be dropped.

It looks like WWE, SWO, R&S, Story grammar, and BFIAR. Although I haven't seen it any kid who is doin the assingments in BeyondFIAR is doesn't need to spend time on WWE 2. But if you still wanted to do WWE lessons you could use your history, science or BFIAR books. You don't need Story Grammar and R&S.

You don't have to do TOG, HO, and SOTW. Yes they are all good programs, but it is better to do an okay program well then to do 3 good programs poorly. Pick the one you like the best and sell or hide the others.

I also think both BFIAR and TOG should lend them selves to a more cohesive day. If you did math and R&S the rest of your day could easily be based on BFIAR and TOG. You could even switch back and forth each day. So one day you'd do R&S and math, then TOG. On the next day you'd do R&S and math, then BFIAR. Then back to TOG the next day.

I think Living Books Curriculum fits what you're describing very well. In case it helps, I reviewed their 1st grade curriculum here: http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/3905.php

and their 5th grade curriculum here: http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/3954.php

I love that they are well-suited to multiple age groups, regardless of how they are listed. You could have multiple ages doing the same "grade" but have them in their own math/grammar suited for their level.

Some questions to ask yourself:

What order are you doing the work in? Are you alternating between children after each subject or do you go over the work with one child and then work with the next?

Are you combining things as much as possible? You know having their writing projects relate to what they are studying in history or science?

Are you frustrated with the currriculum or some of the curriculum you are using? Or are you frustrated with the progress being made?

Could it be because it is winter outside and you all have cabin fever? Or that you are just sick of using your present materials and want a change? Do you want to drop everything for a month or so and just do a unit study or lapbook from homeschool share and just have the kids read and do math along with it?

Lots of things could be going wrong. What I did to find my rhythm:

I found a curriculum that has a safety net (Oak Meadow) to use as my core. It aligns with state standards but gives me freedom to make my own schedule.

I built up a rhythm to our days. I figured out that combining students did not work out for us so I work with my oldest, give her assignments for her to do on her own and then I work with my youngest.

Hope you find what works for you.:001_smile:

I used to feel that way too. I now use MFW which connects history, science and bible plus adds tons of fun stuff that I would not think to do on my own (music, cooking, art, read alouds etc.). I also use Phonics Road which puts all of my LA together. I can not say enough good things about PR--it rocks. Then, I pretty much add math to the mix and I am good. (math is Math Mammoth) I went from curriculum wilderness to curriculum paradise. (OK as much as one can this side of heaven) I wonder what curriculum is in heaven--can you imagine?! ;)

I am using all of these same programs and hope for the same results.

Just to let you know, its okay to need a change. I have been hsing for 10 years, but dynamics change and so our curriculum needs do as well.

I started PR a couple of months ago. I do it with each dc, one after the other so I stay in LA mode. Then do math with those that need me. We just started MFW & I am liking that we are all together. It feels natural to do those lessons toether.

I've been making daily work packets for dd, and I like it because it pulls everything into *1* task. It feels like less, even though we're getting all our little separate subjects done. For something that is a writing task, I toss in a sheet of paper with a note at the top for what it's for. I chopped up workbooks, etc. Just feels nice to tackle *1* thing instead of 6 or 7! :)