Menu

I feel stupid asking this...Math Facts?

trying my best

Please excise my question... English is my second language and i was born and raised oversees and just now learning about American way of teaching. In my country we never had terms "math fact" ... i saw people were talkign about 1st grade math fact... What would that be?

Again, I am sorry for sound so stupid.

Math Facts would be something like :

1+1= through 20+20= That might be considered basic addition facts.

1x1= through 15x15 = That might be considered basic multiplication facts.

Same with basic subtraction and basic division.

This way when the child begins to learn more complex operations and the concept of solving unknowns....they are not struggling to simply remember or solve 15 + 8 or 20 -13 or 15 x 7. They will KNOW these basic facts, thus developing in more advanced math operations and concepts will be less of a struggle.

Hope that helps.

Blessings.

I would describe math facts as knowing the answers without having to calculate them. It's not that their the most common problems, as much as the basis for all arithmetic that follows. For example, not knowing multiplication math facts (that is, the times table, from 0 to 10 or 12) would make long division much more difficult and tedious.

So "math facts" are simply the ANSWER?

Well, not exactly....

The answer is "20" but the math fact is "2 x 10 = 20", if you see the difference. Math facts are just the basic arithmetic relations that you would normally expect a person to have memorized.

You will also hear talk about "fact families" which are just the group of related math facts. For example a fact family relating (2,3,5):

2 + 3 = 5

3 + 2 = 5

5 - 2 = 3

5 - 3 = 2

The concept is useful to help concrete learners (to whom each of those equations is a separate thought) extrapolate and generalize. To an innately intuitive thinking child, once they know one the other 3 will be obvious, and so it's good review but you can breeze over it more quickly and spend the time on something else. :D

Well, not exactly....

The answer is "20" but the math fact is "2 x 10 = 20", if you see the difference. Math facts are just the basic arithmetic relations that you would normally expect a person to have memorized.

You will also hear talk about "fact families" which are just the group of related math facts. For example a fact family relating (2,3,5):

2 + 3 = 5

3 + 2 = 5

5 - 2 = 3

5 - 3 = 2

The concept is useful to help concrete learners (to whom each of those equations is a separate thought) extrapolate and generalize. To an innately intuitive thinking child, once they know one the other 3 will be obvious, and so it's good review but you can breeze over it more quickly and spend the time on something else. :D

Thank you guys! that now making sense to me