Menu

Looking for a new computer,and need some direction...

Here are our wants/needs...

Our only pc went down (yeah), leaving us with my Mac, a net book, and an iPad. It is really the boy's computer, and they use it for gaming, and my eldest does homework and takes an o line class on it. I'm sure he can do the online class on my Mac, he just has't.

The boys really want to continue using their games on a similar system, because they don't (and I don't) want to rebuy. We really have become a Mac family and love the fact that our current Mac is 3 or 4 years old and we have had no problems.

What would best fit our needs? My husband would love a Mac laptop, but would that play the kids' games? He travels frequently overseas and would love to use skype.

Anyway, just starting to research. Thanks.

What kind of games do they play? Dh likes computer games, and there are a *ton* of games out there that are only for PC, especially older ones. I think that newer games (as in, the past year or two perhaps) more often come in a format where the same disk can be used on either Mac or PC. Either way, though, as far as I know (and I grew up a Mac user) there are, in general, a lot fewer computer games available for Mac. This gap is closing, but it's still pretty big IMHO.

I have a Mac laptop, and it is possible to play computer games on it. However, the only games I've ever played on it are Sims 2 and Sims 3. Sims 3 is supposed to work fine, but in reality runs slow, and I have the minimum system requirements. Sims 3 works better on my husband's laptop PC with Vista installed. (Sims 3 is one of the games where the same disk can be installed on a Mac or a PC.)

So if you really want a computer for your sons to play computer games on, my guess is, you'll want to get another PC.

Here are our wants/needs...

Our only pc went down (yeah), leaving us with my Mac, a net book, and an iPad. It is really the boy's computer, and they use it for gaming, and my eldest does homework and takes an o line class on it. I'm sure he can do the online class on my Mac, he just has't.

The boys really want to continue using their games on a similar system, because they don't (and I don't) want to rebuy. We really have become a Mac family and love the fact that our current Mac is 3 or 4 years old and we have had no problems.

What would best fit our needs? My husband would love a Mac laptop, but would that play the kids' games? He travels frequently overseas and would love to use skype.

Anyway, just starting to research. Thanks.

Boy that's a tough one. I don't know about a Macbook being able to play games but I don't see why an iMac couldn't handle it. Those are quite powerful, even in the base models. I agree with the PP though- there definitely are more games available for PC than Mac- what do your boys play?

As for Skype, I use it on my Mac and love it. I also really LOVE iChat. I have family all over the place that I use to it to video chat with (well the ones who have Macs :D) and it's so easy to use and works every time. - That's Mac for ya! :D

This is my absolute favorite electronics shopping site and they are having a killer sale right now I wish I could take advantage of but perhaps you can?.

http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/10-2954/index.html?cm_sp=ShoppingGuide_3-_-UltimateCompSale_010511-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fHomepage%2fShopping%2fbnr_homelinks_compsalebak.png