Menu

What questions to ask of home health agency?

We are interviewing someone from a home health agency tomorrow (and visa-versa) about providing care for my mil. We have a great personal referral on the agency, which is small. We live very near by and are available most of the time, but like to have someone there during the work week for the day shift. She needs someone to drive her around a little, fix her fattening meals, clean her house, feed her two cats, help her into the shower if she is feeling weak, etc. She's not a pushover but does have a pleasant personality. I need ideas of what to ask the agency before coming to an agreement. The person meeting with us owns the agency, but will not be the one providing care.

I'd ask to meet the person providing the care and to have a preliminary meeting with that person and your mil with you there too. What's to lose? Personalities meshing is critical. When I did this with my Dad, I lucked out and the woman was a gem with a good sense of humor since my Dad loved jokes and banter. Subsequent helpers were a disaster because of the difference in personality to the point that it depressed my dad. That's where I'm coming from with this.

Also ask how long the caregiver has been with this agency, where else they worked, if you can read the references and/or speak with the families of others she has cared for. I assume the agency does the background checks and has the person bonded.

If I remember more later I'll be back!!

Mary

We are interviewing someone from a home health agency tomorrow (and visa-versa) about providing care for my mil. We have a great personal referral on the agency, which is small. We live very near by and are available most of the time, but like to have someone there during the work week for the day shift. She needs someone to drive her around a little, fix her fattening meals, clean her house, feed her two cats, help her into the shower if she is feeling weak, etc. She's not a pushover but does have a pleasant personality. I need ideas of what to ask the agency before coming to an agreement. The person meeting with us owns the agency, but will not be the one providing care.

The most important thing is ...can you meet the caregiver who WILL be caring for your MIL. It's kind of hit or miss, either they click or do not click.

Will it be just one caregiver? If not,how many?

What are the policies re: keys, money transactions/shopping, no shows by caregiver.

Agree on a schedule or what is to be done. Ask to leave a communication notebook in the house if necessary (between you and staff) if the agency will agree to it.

Please make sure you obtain a 24 hour phone number for the agency.

GL!

Definitely ask about the policy for no-shows! Ask about criminal record checks and clearances, and background checks on the caregivers. The agency should be bonded, you can ask about that.

Further, don't leave anything 'tempting' around that someone might be interested in, like cash, credit cards, jewelry, that sort thing. You never know......