Menu

how would you have handled this?

If you lived in a rural area and you went out (too late, really!) for a walk with your girls. On the way back home there was an ADORABLE puppy, say around 6 months old, playing in a yard about .7 mile from your home. The puppy ran to greet you, and you see that the (apparent) owner is whistling for the dog. The puppy starts to nip at your greyhound, whom is a LOVE but is also a wimp, so you start try to keep the dogs separated. The puppy continues to rough house your dog and you try harder to keep them separated because you can see that your dog is going to bite the puppy, who just bit his privates. The puppy then decides to run up the road and the owner does NOTHING other than whistle a little longer. You have your dd run to get the puppy, but running makes the puppy run away further. You try several times but then you are too far from the puppy's home so you continue on to get home as it's getting REAL dark. There are several more times where the puppy nips at your dog and you fight and fight to keep them separated. You assume that at any moment the owner will arrive to get the puppy, it never happens. You realize that you could drive the dog home but you're now fuming that it's been 30 minutes since the owner saw the incident with you and your puppy and she STILL hasn't come to get her puppy. Your dd stays out playing fetch in the dark and you have flood lights on. After an hour, you bring the puppy inside and keep your dogs apart from it. AN HOUR and she couldn't drive .7 mile to get her puppy. And she couldn't come out of the door of her home to get it when it wandered off with us. I'm not 100% sure she saw the scuffle with the dogs, but I feel that she most likely did.

Some past history: this woman is a TOTAL b*tch and it's been said that her yard looks so lovely since she came into OUR and dug up our flowers while we were away on vacation. Yes, I still get ticked off when I drive by and see her glorious blooms. I sometimes fantasize about removing all of her flowers during the night and put them back where they belong. She's a known trouble maker and I just could NOT do her a favor. BUT, this is the first time I've EVER reacted this way. I'm a HUGE animal lover! We kept an eye on puppy when dd came inside but finally just brought him in. After dh called, the husband came to get the dog and was NOT HAPPY. :001_huh:

I would have handled it just as you did. You did not lure the dog away. You called the owner once it became clear that they were not coming to get the dog on their own. The emotional state of the husband is not your concern.

:iagree:

Walk the other way next time. Don't be surprised if you find the puppy squashed.

I would have handled it just as you did. You did not lure the dog away. You called the owner once it became clear that they were not coming to get the dog on their own. The emotional state of the husband is not your concern.

I agree, but I was really upset that they didn't get their puppy sooner. It

:iagree:

Walk the other way next time. Don't be surprised if you find the puppy squashed.

:lol:I can't walk the other way. The road becomes impassable a little further down. My kids and I would absolutely DEVASTATED if we saw that dog dead. I was really upset because she lives on a busier dirt road than I, and I was upset at how many cars SPED past us as if they didn't see a woman with two children, both walking out and coming back. We were definitely visible.

When I had the pup in the home, I was just DYING for dh to get home. He has told me NO MORE ANIMALS, it's another animal or him (to which I respond, "Boy, I'm going to MISS you!":lol:) and I was chomping at the bit to say, "Look what we got! I know you love black labs. Isn't she cute?" :D

The puppy was in a safe place.

it was, but I was upset because they had NO way of knowing! They probably saw the ruckus between the dogs and they saw the puppy run off. They couldn't see the puppy once it reached their next door neighbor's house, where we really tried to catch her! She's SO frisky!!! They never came out and an hour later, they still never inquired. I could have never done that. The SECOND our greyhound runs off, I'm in the car out looking for him. And when he WAS safely inside someone's home, I didn't know for over a day. I was a wreck!

I'm still shocked by the fact that she came and dug up your flowers. Seriously? Did she leave, like, holes where they were, or patch it over? I'm dumbfounded....

my other neighbor is the one who told me she did this. She was wise enough to put the dirt back in. Who knows, maybe she even watered so I couldn't tell at all? But my flowers WERE gone, LOTS of them. And she's got huge clumps of them all in her yard now. She even had the nerve to come up here with a shovel to see if she could dig up some wild daylilies which are growing by an abandoned foundation on our land. :glare: I told her NO, that I was going to use them myself. Well, I'm certain she helped herself because there are HUGE masses of them in her yard now.

The neighbor who told me about her is the same one who's husband drug a fallen tree out of our field. We cut down all our own trees and burn them to keep our house toasty warm in the winter. Dh carefully plans out how many trees he needs each year depending on the size. When we had a tree struck down by lightning, we BOTH were thrilled that it saved dh some work. Then one Sunday morning we went off to church and he dragged it into his yard and chopped it up. We saw that he had raked the road to cover the marks, and we also saw the trunk all sliced up and ready to be split. He has no acreage so he can't cut his own wood. They also assume they can just use our acreage when ever they want. When they did do some clearing so they could move their home, they asked if they could store the trees on our land. Three years later dd cut open her head while playing on them. We had to get forceful to get them removed. The huge piles of dirt they placed in our logging road, WITHOUT PERMISSION, still sit untouched. We've spoken to them about this several times.

And then there's the neighbor who cared for my animals while I was away for 10 days. She clearly had a party in the house and didn't clean up well. What really ticked me off was that she took my car out. I'm very tall, she's very short. When I went to go out the first time after my return, I couldn't even get in the car because the seat had been moved up so much. The thing that REALLY ticked me off was that she had to have searched through my house to FIND my HIDDEN keys.:cursing:

I smile and wave but dh and I keep to ourselves. We have NO desire to have anything to do with these people. I used to extend myself to them but not anymore. Thankfully I rarely see them as we have a lot of space between us.

Hedges to be taken out without your knowledge or consent in

:lol::lol::lol:Did MariannNova pay you to say that? :D

The only reason I have decided against this is the lady is WEIRD, WEIRD, WEIRD and it would be just my luck to have her peek out her window sometime past midnight to see someone digging up her flowers.

I've also heard this same woman's kids have stolen from mailboxes. I had one package stolen in 15 years and unfortunately, it was my elderly aunt's baby pictures. There was money inside, too, and a book, but I could care less about those. I'll never see the pictures. :sad:

I would have done my best to shoo the puppy away, not chased it, and just left it out....

Now, that's not to say that I think what you did was wrong ;) I think you did a kind thing for the puppy.

We had a puppy that would run if you tried to catch it. We never tried to let it out without a leash :glare:, but he was fast and would get out. Once he was out, it was either chase him closer and closer (and once onto) the busier roads or ignore him. As long as no one else came along, he would come back in. Really, it would take three seconds of ignoring him before he would be begging to come back in. Heaven help us if anyone walked by the house. It was NOT their fault (our fault for letting him get loose), but egads it was irritating to have to chase that beastie and horrible to watch them trying so hard to help and knowing that all they would accomplish is chasing that foolish dog closer to traffic (and winding themselves).

So, when I run across this I make myself as unattractive to the puppy as possible and move along.

I would have done my best to shoo the puppy away, not chased it, and just left it out....

Now, that's not to say that I think what you did was wrong ;) I think you did a kind thing for the puppy.

We had a puppy that would run if you tried to catch it. We never tried to let it out without a leash :glare:, but he was fast and would get out. Once he was out, it was either chase him closer and closer (and once onto) the busier roads or ignore him. As long as no one else came along, he would come back in. Really, it would take three seconds of ignoring him before he would be begging to come back in. Heaven help us if anyone walked by the house. It was NOT their fault (our fault for letting him get loose), but egads it was irritating to have to chase that beastie and horrible to watch them trying so hard to help and knowing that all they would accomplish is chasing that foolish dog closer to traffic (and winding themselves).

So, when I run across this I make myself as unattractive to the puppy as possible and move along.

oh, we shooed her away more times than I can count but she just thought we were trying to play with her. I really hope nothing happens to her.

We had a neighbor move in with a pug that she didn't let stay in the house. That dog was so lonely he would run to the back fence (our back yards faced each other) and socialize with my dogs and kids. Then one day, he managed to figure out how to get over the fence (some wood was piled up at the fence in HER back yard). We called her to let her know that her dog was in our yard, barking incessantly at our back door. We tried to let him in, but he was SO hyper and it upset our chihuahua so much (you know how uptight they are) that we had to let him back out. We met her at the back fence to hand the dog back over and she took him inside, but then half an hour later, he was back outside and back in our yard in seconds. It was a situation of her really not being ready to own the dog. She worked nights, the dog kept her awake, so she kept him outside all the time. She wouldn't move the stacks of wood, because the house was a rental. So the dog spent a lot of time in our yard till my husband figured out a way to block the dog from climbing on the wood in her yard, but that didn't really solve the problem of the dog having to spend all his time outside and clearly being bored and lonely. Our neighbor mentioned off hand getting rid of him, and I offered to help find a home (I didn't want her taking him to the pound and I knew someone with a soft spot for pugs I could probably have talked into taking him :001_smile:) but she said she didn't want to get rid of him because she paid $350 for him. :confused::confused: But she wasn't really enjoying the experience of owning him, so whatever. She's moved away now.

That's completely insane about the flowers. We "rescued" another neighbor's dog off the street and within half an hour we were being thanked by his owner. An absolutely beautiful white boxer.

I'd take it home, and train it to dig up the flowers in her yard. :)

Where we live, if you call animal control, the owners have to pay $50 to get the animal back. After the 3rd time, the cost increases. I'd just keep doing that, and hopefully the puppy would end up in a better home.

Man...I'm thinking that you should be able to get a 'neighbour' inspection along with a house inspection before you buy.

First item on the list...Do you believe that you can rearrange your neighbour's landscaping without their knowledge or permission?

Anyone that states, "it would be a surprise!" automatically fails, and we move on to the next listing.

Man...I'm thinking that you should be able to get a 'neighbour' inspection along with a house inspection before you buy.

You jest, but we actually sort of do this. If we're interested in a house, we "case the neighborhood" looking for someone friendly and chat him/her up. You'd be surprised the things people reveal about neighbors they're not fond of. We've avoided nightmare scenarios by doing this.

You jest, but we actually sort of do this. If we're interested in a house, we "case the neighborhood" looking for someone friendly and chat him/her up. You'd be surprised the things people reveal about neighbors they're not fond of. We've avoided nightmare scenarios by doing this.

Interesting. We're looking at acreages, so that may be a wee bit difficult, 'casing the neighbourhood'.

Plus, we'll be the new ppl. Small towns aren't always 'sharing' to new ppl.

I would have yelled for her to come get her d*** dog away from mine. If she was too far away to hear me, I'd have done what you did the first time. If it happens again, I'd be calling animal control each and every time. I'd also invest in surveillance cameras for as much of the property as possible. At the very least, I'd be getting large signs that say that the property is under surveillance!

People are insane :angry:

Plus, we'll be the new ppl. Small towns aren't always 'sharing' to new ppl.

We've always lived in small towns, and folks in New England are particularly tight- er...lipped. ;) However, if someone is causing trouble in a neighborhood, we've found people are usually more than happy to out them.