Menu

If you have more than 5 kids...

What type of car/van do you drive?

Since minivans only hold 5 children, I've been curious what I'd have to do if I were ever to have more children than my van will hold.

Not that a 5th, let alone a 6th, child is all that likely for me. :tongue_smilie:

We recently bought an 8-passenger Sienna. I love it. :) The 8-passenger Odyssey is also nice. We are almost certainly done with 5, but that extra seat is useful and will be good to have if we get a surprise 6th. I don't know what I would drive if we had 7. There aren't many options at that point.

We recently bought an 8-passenger Sienna. I love it. :)

Ooh, I want one of those.:drool5:

I have an older Sienna. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could get 5 kids into it. Every time I have to squish the 3 olders into the back , they elbow, and punch, and kick, and ...you get the picture. They make me crazy when they're too close.

I have an older Sienna. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could get 5 kids into it. Every time I have to squish the 3 olders into the back , they elbow, and punch, and kick, and ...you get the picture. They make me crazy when they're too close.

We replaced our 7-passenger Sienna (a 2000). We squeezed all five kids into it. There is definitely more room in the new van!

7 kids and we have a 15 pass. Ford Econoline. We used to have a Dodge Ram 15 pass. I hated it. Would not recommend it. I LOVE the Ford Econoline. It drives so much nicer than the Dodge. 15 pass. are hard to come by and we looked for a long time before finding this one. Hard on gas, but what do you expect for a bus like this, right? Plenty of room for our family plus several other kids when necessary. :001_smile:

7 kids and we have a 15 pass. Ford Econoline. We used to have a Dodge Ram 15 pass. I hated it. Would not recommend it. I LOVE the Ford Econoline. It drives so much nicer than the Dodge. 15 pass. are hard to come by and we looked for a long time before finding this one. Hard on gas, but what do you expect for a bus like this, right? Plenty of room for our family plus several other kids when necessary. :001_smile:

Sue, let me know if anyone in the area is ever giving one away ;) LOL!

We just bought a used Toyota Sequoia. We absolutely must have 4WD where we live, otherwise we would have gone with the Odyssey or Sienna. We can comfortably hold 6 kids and there is a decent amount of room behind the 3rd row. And, we get 20+ MPG, which I think is awesome for a 4WD SUV.

Previously we had an Expedition. I was always worried because the 3rd row seats didn't have head rests. Also the storage behind the 3rd row was super small.

When I was pregnant with #6, we bought an 8-seat Sienna. It is so nice! There's plenty of room for carseats and in the backseat, and there is SO much room in the trunk area. When we had #7, then I still could drive the Sienna around town with all 7 kids (my oldest turned 12 not too long after #7 was born, and he rides in the front seat). We also have a 12 passenger van, which we use when we all (including DH) need to go somewhere. Now we're expecting #8, and I am so sad that the kids and I will no longer all fit in the Sienna! But on the other hand, now when I run errands, I usually leave the kids with my oldest 2 kids, so I will still drive the Sienna around town (all by myself, or with just one or 2 kids), instead of the big van!

We've had an 8 seater Suburban then an Expedition.

Suburban was better due to cargo space behind the third row. But I really liked the Expedition.

However, both were older and did not have head rests or shoulder belts in all positions. And I was getting a less than desirable install with one of my car seats. Then since we weren't sure we were done anyway...we replaced the vehicle. (we like the ability to transport others when the need arises as well, it was killing us having our vehicle maxed out)

So, now we're in a Ford 12 pass. We're missing the head rests in every position...but..the seats are tall enough to fit my 13 yr old right now. I've heard about having head rests installed so I'm going to look into that for future use. But for now, we're ok.

When the kids were smaller and I had three in carseats and three older dc, we drove a 15-passenger Ford Econoline. We downsized when my olders left home, but only to a Tahoe that seats 8. I now drive a Volvo sedan that seats 5 to shuttle kids to dance, gym, etc.

We took the middle two seater out of our windstar mini van and bought a three seater bench from a junk yard and put it in. So now it's an eight seater. They make the seats so you can put the two in front or back and vice versa so we just put in two three seaters.

What type of car/van do you drive?

Since minivans only hold 5 children, I've been curious what I'd have to do if I were ever to have more children than my van will hold.

Not that a 5th, let alone a 6th, child is all that likely for me. :tongue_smilie:

Before any of my older kids were driving, we had a 15 passenger Dodge Ram. My dh nicknamed it "Flippper" because of all the bad press that came out the week after we bought ours....sigh. I really loved that van and I miss it so much. It handled terribly, but I got used to it. What i really loved was that not only did my kids fit comfortably, but everyone could bring a friend.

Faithe

a big behemoth van, that's what. a van that I hate, that I can't wait to get rid of and that I will throw a party the day it goes buh bye.

15 passenger chevy express (with the last bench out so we can have room for stuff). if you get one, get the all wheel drive. and, if I could do it all over again I'd demand the vinyl instead of the upholstery. I can't begin to tell you how many times kids have thrown up, dogs have thrown up, sodas have spilled. BUT as far as reliability, it starts. It's also an American car, which means it falls apart. The hinges rust and break, the door handles break, the panels pull apart from the walls. Yes, we bought it brand new and it's only 6 years old and that kinda stuff should not be breaking.

I dream of Miata's and jeeps. What I would give to have my Benz wagon back.:glare:

Yay, Ford (insert large number)-passenger vans. That's what most large families in our community drive.

Also, if you're looking, you can really look all over the country. The cost of a plane ticket and driving it home could end up saving you money over what might (or might not!) be available locally. Just find a reputable repair shop and have it checked out wherever it is before you go. I've had friends who have done this for their last three cars, and they always end up with a really good deal!

There are 8 of us and I drive a 15 passy Chevy Express. We also took our rear bench seat out and it has been great space-wise. We bought ours as a used *lease* vehicle with extremely low mileage. It was like-new. It was also cheaper than anything else we could find for us at the time.

My friends have Ford and Dodge vans and I hate them. The center of gravity is *off* or something. In the Express, the rear axle has been moved back so you don't have that rear *hang over* beyond it. It also seems to sit lower to the ground maybe? Anyway, it drives and rides like a car to me, compared to feeling like I'm in a truck with my friends' vans.

That said, like one of the previous posters, I find myself dreaming of much smaller vehicles. :lol:

I only have two but when my parents had 12 or 14 kids living with them, they had a shuttle bus. You know, the kind where the seats face each other on both sides of an aisle. This was when they didn't have little ones in car seats. Not sure what they would have done then.

We have a 15 passenger Chevy Express. I really, really, really, really wanted a 12 passenger but we could not find a used one. We probably would have kept the 8-seater Suburban plus my dh's little car and taken 2 cars when necessary, but some lovely driver on a cell phone totalled it when I was newly pregnant with #7. Thankfully noone was injured.

I cried when my dh brought the Express home. I was not ready for it. But I'm used to it now. The kids love it!! A friend of mine has one and she described it as driving around a living room. That's exactly right. :001_smile:

What I wouldn't give to find a 9-seater Suburban. Sure enough that would come my way and we'd outgrow it in 9 mos. Oh well.

We have a 12-passenger Ford E-350 that was converted. The 2 middle bench seats were taken out and captain's chairs put in. So now there are 10 available seats.

I don't love it. But .. I love it. LOL IT works.

I wanted to go with the Ford Excursion but my husband was right...I would have hated the kids climbing over the seats and at the time we had 4 in carseats! The van worked better.

IT has a lot of power which I love and a ton of space. We bought it on Ebay. :)

I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan. It seats 7 people. It's been a great vehicle and is also big enough to haul things, like a twin bed set that I bought. :)

I used to have a Dodge Grand Caravan. I loved the space inside of it. But it had almost 300,000 miles, and things were breaking right and left. Somehow, we managed to survive summer in Florida with no a/c. It guzzled oil like crazy, and when we tried to get it fixed, our repair shop just told us to get ourselves a new van. :lol: