Menu

Info needed- no debate please

Hello all,

I am a bit of a lurker but have come previously for advice and check on certain threads for insight and information. Today I am asking for some of my own.

I need information on the effects of anti-depressants on teenagers--specifically a 17 year old with possible mild depression or bi-polar disorder. I am not looking for a debate but would really appreciate personal experience or links to studies on either side. Please PM me if you are more comfortable doing so.

Prayers for my sister and her family would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I am a bit of a lurker but have come previously for advice and check on certain threads for insight and information. Today I am asking for some of my own.

I need information on the effects of anti-depressants on teenagers--specifically a 17 year old with possible mild depression or bi-polar disorder. I am not looking for a debate but would really appreciate personal experience or links to studies on either side. Please PM me if you are more comfortable doing so.

Prayers for my sister and her family would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

You could ask asta (a poster here). She knows quite a bit.

The book Spark by John Ratey might be helpful even if used as only an adjunct therapy to drugs.

Good luck.

My BIL has bipolar disorder, and my ds and I both take medication for anxiety. I do know that it's important to get an accurate diagnosis, because taking an antidepressant alone can be harmful for someone who actually has bipolar disorder (can cause manic episodes). First-line medications for bipolar tend to be lithium, risperdal, abilify, other mood stabilizers. Sometimes antidepressants are used along with these other meds, but not antidepressants alone for bipolar. At least from what I have heard and read.

HTH,

Wendi

My daughter took prozac at the age of 16. She is 18 now and now takes Wellbutrin.

Depression, and bi-polar are two totally different illnesses and will need to be treated as such. I am not familiar with many bi-polar meds.

I take Effexor XR. It works well for me. It is for depression/anxiety

The problem with anti-depressents, are trial and error. You cannot go by other peoples experiences with them.

:grouphug:

I have bipolar 2 and it was depression medication that kicked my mania into high gear. I was told that was common. An accurate diagnosis and ongoing monitoring of any medications are very important aspects to treatment. Ds14 is taking zoloft for ocd and the doctor is starting him off really slowly with constant monitoring which includes bloodwork.