Menu

Phonics Road Moms - talk to me please!

abrightmom

:001_smile:Hello ladies!

Crazy busy week, eh? Oy! I'm tired.

Please give me your experience with teacher directed vs. independent work at the various levels and with the different English study strands. From my vantage point all of PR looks teacher led/intensive. I LIKE that. BUT I'm beginning to realize that I'm going to lose my grip on this home school when kid #3 is in the mix (next year). Also, as we move up to Level Two and beyond the time requirement goes up with added strands of study (lit and grammar).

Will you break it down for me if you're using PR in Level Two and up? Is some of the work independent? It's really hard to see that if it is. I'm getting nervous. Level Two is in the mail. I can make it through Level Two for sure but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to shift to more independent curricula after that (i.e. Rod & Staff for English/writing). I will have 3 kids in 3 levels all needing me every day at the same time not to mention all of the other subjects that they all need me for every day all the time (yes I realize that is a run on sentence!). Oh, and dinner to cook. :D I know I'm not alone in this. The best curriculum is the one that gets done and PR isn't grand if it's not getting done due to an unavailable Mom or a Mom spread way too thin. At this point I don't have any combination of kids that will combine. I have to teach each one separately. They are soooo different and at very different levels.

Help!:lol::lol:

Yes! It was. Of course it was a bit cold, but not too bad with coats and hats. It's nice to see the sun now and then. :D

Btw, didn't you get cold feet with level one and then fall in love with it? I wasn't in love with PR until we really started using it. Now I'm so glad to have it. My son attends a two morning per week school program and the teacher keeps asking me what we're using to teach him all the fun songs. :D I can't WAIT to get level 2. I'll probably get it sometime this summer and start it in the fall.

Katrina,

You're right that level 2 will require your attention, but once you get into level 3, this won't be the case all of the time AND since your ds will be in an advanced stage and probably needing to slow down and apply PR across the board, you won't have to do every subject every day. If you switch to RS you will still spend plenty of time with your students. It's not a give them the book and go program. You can count on about 15 minutes of Oral Review each day (with a few exceptions) for grammar alone. Add in time in a spelling program, writing instruction and then you're right back to using PR. I have honestly found that I spend less time on language arts w/ PR. All the subject switching, get this book, change course, etc. takes a lot of time. PR is really not as teacher intensive as some might think. You do have to watch the DVDs, which I know takes time, but to implement the program, if you have prepared, day-to-day...what I'm saying is, it adds up either way.

What you have in front of you now (PR1) IS teacher intensive and what you have coming Is teacher intensive, but they should be b/c they're the foundation of what you're teaching.

Here is how I am working it out right now with 4 students using PR, all in different places.

Ker

M, W, F

PR 1 about 20 min. each morning. Past 20 min., he's done so far as attention, so that means I'm done so far as teaching. We're still learning phonograms, blending small words, just now spelling words with the sounds we've learned. On days where he is willing, I will stretch to 30m. I have to gage by him, though. He Is only 5.

Math 20 min.

Joins the 2nd and 3rd grader for history (TOG) 40m - 1hour

Craft w/ big sister

T, Th

Flashcard review of sounds 5-10min., Starfall 20-30

Math game w/ big sister

Craft w/ big sister

Joins the 2nd, 3rd and 5th grader for science 40m-1hour

2nd and 3rd graders

PR3 beginning: Mon. grammar + lit 45 min. tops The grammar is reviewed or taught, then they finish the page (like they would in RS); literature does require my complete attention, but that's b/c it's really Writing Instruction, not only literature, and that Needs my full attention, no matter what program I use.

Tues. Spelling, literature 45 min and we stop (you lose an 8yo boy if you go longer than this most of the time)

Wed. Grammar 30m (I will go a full 30 min. here, so on some days, I will choose to go through more than 1 lesson, others, not even finish a single lesson

Th. Grammar + spelling 45m tops

F. Spelling, literature

Math every day independently, with instruction occurring daily, about 20m instruction; 10-30 working independently (always with questions or moaning!)

Science T, Th 40m - 1hour mostly w/ me (although today they wrote up the experiment in their journals w/o any help!

Hist. MWF 40m-1hour mostly w/ me

MTThF Memory work entirely w/ me

W nature journal as a family

What this means for these 2 and PR is an extended time period to finish 1 level...which is more than appropriate. We have a running week, a loop schedule for PR, if you will. We should finish end of 6th and end of 5th if we continue at this pace. Probably sooner, but my goal is 6th/5th.

They have daily assigned reading, too, which is either science or history related. If you want, I can email you an example of a 3-week unit study of Africa (using TOG + a "Teacher's bag" lapbook). Then you can see what we do each day. It's really quite a lot in a short bit of time and they have great retention.

We're using ES right now (Physics) and it's too new to comment too much. Had a great day, today, though.

\

5th grader

PR3 2/3 finished

I spend about an hour a day with her for ALL LA (spelling, writing, grammar, lit.) We are accelerating a little bit in the hour. We are doing about a day and a half per day, so I could probably be finished with all of her instruction in about 45 min. if we were on "regular schedule" I want to be about 1/3 finished w/ PR4 by the end of the year, so we can complete it the end of her 6th grade year.

I block teach her math instruction: T, Th I teach 2-3 lessons at a time. It takes us about 30 min. Then she works independently on the other days.

She does science w. the others, but also has encyclopedia and outlining on the opposite days.

She plans out and completes her own TOG, doing Geography w/ the boys and I if it's a project, but uses and atlas independently otherwise.

So, MY day is like this...long, but effective:

Here's what my Household Day looks like on Monday (italicized means w/ Momma): Go to my HomeSchoolLaunch page (in siggy) and look for Schedule for 7 children. You'll see how I fit it all in from day to day.

You can do it! You drop extras. You lose unnecessary repetition. You combine. Teach to the elders.

For me, not having the grade level programs (like RS) actually takes away pressure. I was always cramming at the end of the school year just to get it done and as a result, prepositions always took a beating (the last of RS). W/ PR, I know it's a level based program that is sufficient throughout grammar school, so I have time to teach thoroughly and enjoy. There is no rush. The only pressure we have is what we put on ourselves. :grouphug:

Yes! It was. Of course it was a bit cold, but not too bad with coats and hats. It's nice to see the sun now and then. :D
We bundled up and cruised the neighborhood on foot. The kids ran and ran. Then they played in the pond, breaking off HUGE chunks of ice and throwing them across it. We hobbled home soaked, tired and red cheeked. It was awesome.

Btw, didn't you get cold feet with level one and then fall in love with it? I wasn't in love with PR until we really started using it. Now I'm so glad to have it. My son attends a two morning per week school program and the teacher keeps asking me what we're using to teach him all the fun songs. :D I can't WAIT to get level 2. I'll probably get it sometime this summer and start it in the fall.

Yes! The DVDs were harder than I expected although I LOVE them now. And I stumbled over the y, i and o phonograms. Using AAS Level One helped me with that and I realized I could teach them that way and still use PR. I have grown to appreciate the program so much. UPS came to the door today but it wasn't Level Two . . . maybe tomorrow :D.

Katrina,

You're right that level 2 will require your attention, but once you get into level 3, this won't be the case all of the time AND since your ds will be in an advanced stage and probably needing to slow down and apply PR across the board, you won't have to do every subject every day. If you switch to RS you will still spend plenty of time with your students. It's not a give them the book and go program. You can count on about 15 minutes of Oral Review each day (with a few exceptions) for grammar alone. Add in time in a spelling program, writing instruction and then you're right back to using PR. I have honestly found that I spend less time on language arts w/ PR. All the subject switching, get this book, change course, etc. takes a lot of time. PR is really not as teacher intensive as some might think. You do have to watch the DVDs, which I know takes time, but to implement the program, if you have prepared, day-to-day...what I'm saying is, it adds up either way.

What you have in front of you now (PR1) IS teacher intensive and what you have coming Is teacher intensive, but they should be b/c they're the foundation of what you're teaching.

Here is how I am working it out right now with 4 students using PR, all in different places.

Ker

M, W, F

PR 1 about 20 min. each morning. Past 20 min., he's done so far as attention, so that means I'm done so far as teaching. We're still learning phonograms, blending small words, just now spelling words with the sounds we've learned. On days where he is willing, I will stretch to 30m. I have to gage by him, though. He Is only 5.

Math 20 min.

Joins the 2nd and 3rd grader for history (TOG) 40m - 1hour

Craft w/ big sister

T, Th

Flashcard review of sounds 5-10min., Starfall 20-30

Math game w/ big sister

Craft w/ big sister

Joins the 2nd, 3rd and 5th grader for science 40m-1hour

2nd and 3rd graders

PR3 beginning: Mon. grammar + lit 45 min. tops The grammar is reviewed or taught, then they finish the page (like they would in RS); literature does require my complete attention, but that's b/c it's really Writing Instruction, not only literature, and that Needs my full attention, no matter what program I use.

Tues. Spelling, literature 45 min and we stop (you lose an 8yo boy if you go longer than this most of the time)

Wed. Grammar 30m (I will go a full 30 min. here, so on some days, I will choose to go through more than 1 lesson, others, not even finish a single lesson

Th. Grammar + spelling 45m tops

F. Spelling, literature

Math every day independently, with instruction occurring daily, about 20m instruction; 10-30 working independently (always with questions or moaning!)

Science T, Th 40m - 1hour mostly w/ me (although today they wrote up the experiment in their journals w/o any help!

Hist. MWF 40m-1hour mostly w/ me

MTThF Memory work entirely w/ me

W nature journal as a family

What this means for these 2 and PR is an extended time period to finish 1 level...which is more than appropriate. We have a running week, a loop schedule for PR, if you will. We should finish end of 6th and end of 5th if we continue at this pace. Probably sooner, but my goal is 6th/5th.

They have daily assigned reading, too, which is either science or history related. If you want, I can email you an example of a 3-week unit study of Africa (using TOG + a "Teacher's bag" lapbook). Then you can see what we do each day. It's really quite a lot in a short bit of time and they have great retention.

We're using ES right now (Physics) and it's too new to comment too much. Had a great day, today, though.

\

5th grader

PR3 2/3 finished

I spend about an hour a day with her for ALL LA (spelling, writing, grammar, lit.) We are accelerating a little bit in the hour. We are doing about a day and a half per day, so I could probably be finished with all of her instruction in about 45 min. if we were on "regular schedule" I want to be about 1/3 finished w/ PR4 by the end of the year, so we can complete it the end of her 6th grade year.

I block teach her math instruction: T, Th I teach 2-3 lessons at a time. It takes us about 30 min. Then she works independently on the other days.

She does science w. the others, but also has encyclopedia and outlining on the opposite days.

She plans out and completes her own TOG, doing Geography w/ the boys and I if it's a project, but uses and atlas independently otherwise.

So, MY day is like this...long, but effective:

Here's what my Household Day looks like on Monday (italicized means w/ Momma): Go to my HomeSchoolLaunch page (in siggy) and look for Schedule for 7 children. You'll see how I fit it all in from day to day.

You can do it! You drop extras. You lose unnecessary repetition. You combine. Teach to the elders.

For me, not having the grade level programs (like RS) actually takes away pressure. I was always cramming at the end of the school year just to get it done and as a result, prepositions always took a beating (the last of RS). W/ PR, I know it's a level based program that is sufficient throughout grammar school, so I have time to teach thoroughly and enjoy. There is no rush. The only pressure we have is what we put on ourselves. :grouphug:

Tina,

Your explanations and comparisons really make sense. I just needed to ask the questions and make sure. It's tough to know what you're getting in to without actually getting in to it! :001_smile: And PR is a big commitment right up front and I don't want to mess around. I DO want to teach the children and be engaged in the process as much as possible. PR is such a strong program! But, it also has to be do-able :D and I know you understand that.

I'm very content with the DVDs and consider that a bonus for me. It really is fun to watch and learn. I'm grateful for it now :001_smile:.

Your PR schedule (I think you're doing 2 with the 2nd & 3rd grader, right?) looks good with the youngers. You're hitting the English strands 3x a week (grammar, lit, spelling), right?

Tina, the way you use TOG is amazing. I am NOT there. I have spent hours (days, weeks) on that site but I think I would drop out at this point. And be overwhelmed by the book choices. Experience is a wonderful teacher though and the day may come when I am ready to tackle a unit of TOG. The other thing holding me back are the testimonies about getting to the Dialectic stage (which is when you really need something like TOG) and there being a mutiny in the house! That said, I'll look at anything you have. :D You are a true role model for perseverance in the race. You handle the marathon well . . . and I know you get tired like any Mama. TOG is just huge . . . really really beyond me at this point. I didn't used to think so but I've been humbled :lol:. If we have no more children then I may feel like I can tackle TOG when the baby is 3 or 4. Right now I'm just trying to survive!!!!!!!!! (Insert theme music........)

I'm excited to hear about how you fare with Elemental Physics. :001_smile: I like how Elemental is laid out. I picked up Biology and we're going to use it in spring and summer after we finish with the Adventures program in March. It seems very easy to use.

Thanks again for giving me a break down on PR. :001_smile:

Tina,

Your explanations and comparisons really make sense. I'm glad cuz I'm short on sleep about right now :)I just needed to ask the questions and make sure. It's tough to know what you're getting in to without actually getting in to it! :001_smile: And PR is a big commitment right up front and I don't want to mess around. I DO want to teach the children and be engaged in the process as much as possible. PR is such a strong program! But, it also has to be do-able :D and I know you understand that. I sure do. Balance often requires sacrifice. Sometimes that comes in the form of chores, other times curriculum.

I'm very content with the DVDs and consider that a bonus for me. It really is fun to watch and learn. I'm grateful for it now :001_smile:.

Your PR schedule (I think you're doing 2 with the 2nd & 3rd grader, right?) Actually, we're in the 3rd week of 3 now. Taking our time, so it always seems like we're in a week forever, but we are cruising along just fine. In fact, my 2nd grader wrote up his science journal today without a single capital letter, so guess what we'll be doing tomorrow?! REWRITES! I'll bet he won't be forgetting those capitals again for a little while! looks good with the youngers. You're hitting the English strands 3x a week (grammar, lit, spelling), right? Yes, that's right. And we are either outlining/notetaking/summarizing history or science on the other 2, so we are constantly reinforcing. I am certain to pick assignments that compliment PR, so we are, in essence, working on language arts every day.

Tina, the way you use TOG is amazing. I am NOT there. I have spent hours (days, weeks) on that site but I think I would drop out at this point. And be overwhelmed by the book choices. Experience is a wonderful teacher though and the day may come when I am ready to tackle a unit of TOG. The other thing holding me back are the testimonies about getting to the Dialectic stage (which is when you really need something like TOG) and there being a mutiny in the house! That said, I'll look at anything you have. :D You are a true role model for perseverance in the race. You handle the marathon well . . . and I know you get tired like any Mama. TOG is just huge . . . really really beyond me at this point. I didn't used to think so but I've been humbled :lol:. If we have no more children then I may feel like I can tackle TOG when the baby is 3 or 4. Right now I'm just trying to survive!!!!!!!!! (Insert theme music........) I know what you mean. There is NO WAY I could have started w/ TOG. We enjoyed SOTW, then we added MOH to it, then we went to TOG. I built up to where I am. Of course, it's not like the family size started this big. One at a time, you know!

I'm excited to hear about how you fare with Elemental Physics. :001_smile: I like how Elemental is laid out. I picked up Biology and we're going to use it in spring and summer after we finish with the Adventures program in March. It seems very easy to use.

Thanks again for giving me a break down on PR. :001_smile:

Your welcome. FWIW, TOG is much more teacher intensive than PR, at least for me! And I do get plenty of moans and groans from the middle and high schoolers about TOG. My 15yo was telling me yesterday how he wanted to go back to MOH/SOTW b/c there wasn't as much work then. I said, "That's because you were in grammar school." He turned up his nose and asked if I could fail him back to 5th grade.....booger!

Your welcome. FWIW, TOG is much more teacher intensive than PR, at least for me! And I do get plenty of moans and groans from the middle and high schoolers about TOG. My 15yo was telling me yesterday how he wanted to go back to MOH/SOTW b/c there wasn't as much work then. I said, "That's because you were in grammar school." He turned up his nose and asked if I could fail him back to 5th grade.....booger!

:lol: Booger indeed! Thanks for the transparent answer. I was really hoping the whining, moaning and moping would be done before logic stage!! Ha ha. I have a feeling I have it easy right now ..........

Katrina,

I thought of you today and posted this thinking of you. It should give you a nice idea and help you wrap your head around this thread's discussion ;)

Another day in PR3

Sweet! I just read the post. :001_smile: LOVE your descriptions and I'm encouraged for sure. I'm hoping for that UPS truck today :D Mrs. Beers mailed PR 2 on Monday and we only live an 8 hour drive from Redding, CA.