Menu

Any ideas for those slow to wake up?

DS(11) is very slow to wake up. He wakes up, dresses, eats breakfast, and we try to begin school. Next thing I know he is drifting off to sleep. It doesn't matter how early he goes to bed or how late he sleeps. I have tried doing the things that are most engaging for him first thing to help him wake up, but his favorite activities are logic and critical thinking puzzles--these aren't very active and he starts nodding off. When we try what he consider more mundane tasks such as working math problems, he isn't as mentally engaged and drifts off. I can't seem to get the right balance of engaging enough both mentally and physically.

I would be tempted to just do school work later in the day, but he wants to be on the same schedule as DD(14) who is in private school. He also wants to be finished when his other friends are home from school or in time for afternoon activities such as baseball and music.

He is frustrated, also. I have asked him for his suggestions of what would help him to get going in the mornings and we have tried his suggestions such as PE first thing, a block of free time before school, and they haven't seemed to help.

Any suggestions?

Get some blood work done. You might consider either thyroid issues or anemia. Have them check BOTH his hemoglobin AND his ferritin (they measure iron differently), and also check his vitamin D levels.

I lived most of my life with overwhelming brain fog in the morning, for hours. Everything changed when my ferritin score showed that I was anemic--iron supplements changed my life.

For now, I would suggest giving him a glass of juice to sip sitting up in bed for ten minutes before getting up.

I lived most of my life with overwhelming brain fog in the morning, for hours. Everything changed when my ferritin score showed that I was anemic--iron supplements changed my life.

This sounds like me. I test anemic, and I take slow-release iron supplements at night, and I still feel like that. Maybe if I took it in the morning....

A 12 year old friend of the family that goes to public school just told me that the answer was to get up in the morning, turn the shower on all cold, get in and then right back out and adjust the temperature as needed for a good shower. This is apparently what helps her get awake for school in the mornings.

Thanks for the suggestions! It doesn't seem to be a problem of not enough sleep--it doesn't matter how much he gets it just takes him a long time to get started. The comments about being in a "fog" in the morning seem to describe the situation.

I think we will try the morning shower (which hasn't been the most pleasant sounding solution to an 11-yr old boy) and if that doesn't do the trick we will see about having some bloodwork done. This is the first year of homeschooling--he has never been easy to get up, but I didn't realize how bad it was once he did get up. Now, talking to him, I think he found some ways to doze through the morning in ps and was bright enough to still get by.

He may be sleeping for a long time, but if he isn't getting good quality sleep, then he would naturally be lethargic. He may have issues with sleep apnea or enlarged tonsils that make it difficult to breathe, so he keeps waking himself up (whether he realizes he's awake or not) to breathe, then going back to sleep, so he never gets to the most restful sleep stages.

I'm not an MD, but here are some of the things we've dealt with that caused the 'fog' experience:

Thyroid imbalance

Anemia - different types

Sleep Apnea

Mononucleosis

Enlarged Adenoids

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Allergies -food or environmental

Staying up all night reading

Pregnancy :lol:

well, I've been slow to wake up for 39 years now, and it's just the way it goes. If I have to get up early, I just get up early and it takes me a while to get all the gerbils running well.

Dh is another--heck, my whole family is slow to wake up. Dd and Dh need two hours at the least.

we just know that about ourselves and plan accordingly.

no, my thyroid is fine, my iron is perfect (and high, just like I like it), vit D is perfect, vitamin B helps give me a long energy run but that's not what wakes me up--COFFEE does. :D We all drink coffee. Even the 11 yo. You should hear that kid jabber after he has coffee. lol.

I do agree with showering in the morning, though.

Edited by justamouse