Menu

Looking for resources on ancient clothing.

At this moment, I'm chiefly concerned with Israel around 1000-1100 BC, but also for greater periods of time and other cultures, too (more than one source is good. I've tried a few google searches, but haven't had anything worth while. Ideally, we'd like a book with illustrations (copies of carvings, drawings from carvings, things like that.)

Clothes of the Ancient World (this is book 1 of 4 in a set, which ranges from ancient to modern times)

ETA: I pulled out our copy of the book & there is a 2-page spread of The Hebrews. Sections on those 2 pages are:

"Problems of evidence" (descriptions in the Bible are not always clear; religious law forbade carvings of humans; etc...)

"Early garments"

"Tunics and tassels"

"Material Matters"

"Greek Garments"

"Carved in Stone: Ninth to Eighth Century BC"

It includes drawings/illustrations of a high priest, a shell that holds makeup, tsitsith (fringed tassels), leather sandals from Masada, an illustration based on the "earliest surviving image of an ancient Hebrew. The man is probably a king and appears on an Assyrian obelisk that dates from the ninth century BC." Etc...

Edited by Stacia

Not sure, have you checked Dover books? They have lots of books, coloring books, I'm assuming you are familiar with Dover. Good source for homeschooling materials and I know they did carry fashion books for Civil War era and the 1960's. I'm sure there was more, that's all that comes to mind right now. Good luck!

When I used to do theatre costuming, I used to reference Fashion-Era.com. They have an ancient clothing section that may be helpful to you. Here's the link.

Geez. Good luck with that. My best guess would be a woolen chiton variant.

Rosie

Clothes of the Ancient World (this is book 1 of 4 in a set, which ranges from ancient to modern times)

ETA: I pulled out our copy of the book & there is a 2-page spread of The Hebrews. Sections on those 2 pages are:

"Problems of evidence" (descriptions in the Bible are not always clear; religious law forbade carvings of humans; etc...)

"Early garments"

"Tunics and tassels"

"Material Matters"

"Greek Garments"

"Carved in Stone: Ninth to Eighth Century BC"

It includes drawings/illustrations of a high priest, a shell that holds makeup, tsitsith (fringed tassels), leather sandals from Masada, an illustration based on the "earliest surviving image of an ancient Hebrew. The man is probably a king and appears on an Assyrian obelisk that dates from the ninth century BC." Etc...

thanks! don't know why these didn't show first.