Menu

Another book question for those who are Orthodox

Has anyone read Through Western Eyes by Robert Letham? The review I read indicated that it was pretty balanced in showing what Orthodoxy could teach those of the Reformed Protestant perspective, what the Reformed could teach the Orthodox, how the 2 are different, and how they are the same, but the review was from a Reformed perspective. I'm wondering what the Orthodox take would be?

I am not sure that this is about the same book: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234392 but it might be that you get some insight if you follow this rabbit trail backward. :0)

One thing that I have to say is that there are many words that both we (EO) and Protestants use that have different meanings when you get to the bottom of things, so I can imagine that there would be a certain amount of inadvertant misrepresentation if one is "looking in at the windows" rather than "living in the house."

But to be honest, and fair, I can't review a book I haven't (and probably won't) read.

:iagree: You'd be better finding someone that was a hardcore Calvinist that eventually converted ;) I know plenty, including a minister whose entire mission church converted.

I am not sure that this is about the same book: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234392 but it might be that you get some insight if you follow this rabbit trail backward. :0)

One thing that I have to say is that there are many words that both we (EO) and Protestants use that have different meanings when you get to the bottom of things, so I can imagine that there would be a certain amount of inadvertant misrepresentation if one is "looking in at the windows" rather than "living in the house."

Thank you. I posted on the other thread too. :) Is there a source that defines terms according to Protestants & EO?

:iagree: You'd be better finding someone that was a hardcore Calvinist that eventually converted ;) I know plenty, including a minister whose entire mission church converted.

Does that mean you have a title in mind? :bigear:

Thank you. I posted on the other thread too. :) Is there a source that defines terms according to Protestants & EO?

Does that mean you have a title in mind? :bigear:

No, that's why I said "person" instead of listing a book. However, I will look for articles and books and see what is out there :)

I posted this on the other thread and just saw this, sorry!

I have the book, and cannot recommend it. Patty Joanna is right; it is so easy to inadvertently misrepresent things. I have seen it from the EO side as well; it is a human failing :). The only book I have ever seen that is written from a Reformed perspective and still represents EO well is "Light from the Christian East" by James Payton.

If you are a serious inquirer however you will quickly want to move on to other books. Then you will find that the greatest learning happens not in books at all! :) Check out the Exploring Orthodoxy social group for a good list of resources.

I am out of state at present and not too available- I'll still get pm's though so feel free! Much love to all- HGrrl.

Thank you! I ordered the one you recommended from Amazon & should have it Sat. I have Timothy Ware's Orthodox Church on hold at the library so I can read that next.

Cool! I am curious to hear what you think of it. Do let's chat when you read it.

I loved Bishop Ware's book, though it has been a while since I read it. I am sure if i read it now I would 'get' it so much better! I think I'll read it again when I get back.