Menu

What about People of the Ancient World Series (TOG)

The series used by TOG--it's got Ancient Celts, Ancient Mesopotamians, etc. Beautiful covers--here's one if you haven't seen them--but I was surprised when I got a couple from the library. I don't really like them. I think it's the organization: by topic instead of chronological. But the one I read was also...I don't know...kind-of dry & not as deep as other books on similar topics.

Anybody else not like them? Better experiences? Because I'd still really like to like them--my library has these but not the ancient world books.

The series used by TOG--it's got Ancient Celts, Ancient Mesopotamians, etc. Beautiful covers--here's one if you haven't seen them--but I was surprised when I got a couple from the library. I don't really like them. I think it's the organization: by topic instead of chronological. But the one I read was also...I don't know...kind-of dry & not as deep as other books on similar topics.

Anybody else not like them? Better experiences? Because I'd still really like to like them--my library has these but not the ancient world books.

We're doing Ancient History this year, using K12HO as a read-aloud spine. I've been giving my older two (12yo) the Oxford World in Ancient Times books for more in-depth independent reading, and I've been using the series you linked here for my younger dd (just turned 10).

They are much, much "lighter" than the Oxford books - easy even for my younger dd. She tends to be stubborn about reading any more than she has to, though, so that's why I picked those for her - they'll get the job done.

If you have a kid that likes history at all and likes to read non-fiction, I think the Oxford books are far superior.

We're doing Ancient History this year, using K12HO as a read-aloud spine. I've been giving my older two (12yo) the Oxford World in Ancient Times books for more in-depth independent reading, and I've been using the series you linked here for my younger dd (just turned 10).

They are much, much "lighter" than the Oxford books - easy even for my younger dd. She tends to be stubborn about reading any more than she has to, though, so that's why I picked those for her - they'll get the job done.

If you have a kid that likes history at all and likes to read non-fiction, I think the Oxford books are far superior.

Thanks. I haven't seen the Oxford books yet, except the samples on Amazon, but I was really surprised not to like the TOG series better. It seems like I remember liking the samples of those, but yeah, they're pretty light.

I think mine like history ok. And I really want something meatier than SOTW.