Menu

Starting to lose sense of humor -rant-

*Just* starting. Because I'm just starting to look at colleges, LOL.

DS is a junior. Yes, yes, I know people start looking at colleges way before now - but this is DS's gig, not mine, and frankly, he hasn't been interested, so the ball is just now starting to roll. And even now he is only marginally interested... like "um... is there one located in a desert?" :confused:

So. I read all of the posts here about transcripts, book lists, etc. I diligently keep records. I am expecting to have to provide booklists, stuff, recommendations, blah, blah, blah.

But you know, when you really start reading these webpages, I'm sorry, I find them insulting. People can disagree with me, but that is how I feel. I find it appalling that my kid should have to submit something like this on top of all of the other admissions stuff. Why? Because it is asinine. I'm sorry. If my kid is at the level to be applying to flipping Gonzaga, them providing ONE LINE to write which books I used for curriculum for EACH COURSE ds completed is an utter waste of everyone's time. You want an appendix? Ask for one. But a cheesy, REQUIRED form? With one line per subject? BITE ME.

What if I wrote "Harcourt Brace American History"? What if I simply wrote down the crap textbooks that my local PS was using? Would ds suddenly be a "loser" HSer that isn't worthy? Yet, those are the books that the PS kids are using, and they don't have to list their books. There isn't ROOM to write Homer, Shakespeare, Tolkien, Spencer, Kreeft, blah, blah, blah.

And don't even get me started about U of Utah requiring a GED. UTAH! UTAH! Hello! Someone page Joseph Smith!

Grrr.

a

I was pretty ticked about this as well. So, we never filled out any admission's online once I saw how little room there was for me to include descriptions of her work. We did everything long hand and although they said, "Fill out this one form only", I attached an appendix to the form with several staples so it couldn't get easily separated. I figured this would probably force them to take a look. It seemed to work, we got lots of "wow" statements from admission's personnel.

Yeah, it cheeses me off that the public school uses crap for curriculum, that kids taking AP English Lit have never read ANY piece of literature in it's entirety, just excerpts, that they give a full credit even if only a few chapters of any book are covered (last year the local PS gave several classes of Algebra 2 students credit and out of 14 chapters they only accomplished SIX!!!!), etc. It makes me see red that they do not have to defend their transcripts.

UGH! Okay, now I'm just not looking forward to all of this in four years with DS.

Faith

*Just* starting. Because I'm just starting to look at colleges, LOL.

DS is a junior. Yes, yes, I know people start looking at colleges way before now - but this is DS's gig, not mine, and frankly, he hasn't been interested, so the ball is just now starting to roll. And even now he is only marginally interested... like "um... is there one located in a desert?" :confused:

So. I read all of the posts here about transcripts, book lists, etc. I diligently keep records. I am expecting to have to provide booklists, stuff, recommendations, blah, blah, blah.

But you know, when you really start reading these webpages, I'm sorry, I find them insulting. People can disagree with me, but that is how I feel. I find it appalling that my kid should have to submit something like this on top of all of the other admissions stuff. Why? Because it is asinine. I'm sorry. If my kid is at the level to be applying to flipping Gonzaga, them providing ONE LINE to write which books I used for curriculum for EACH COURSE ds completed is an utter waste of everyone's time. You want an appendix? Ask for one. But a cheesy, REQUIRED form? With one line per subject? BITE ME.

What if I wrote "Harcourt Brace American History"? What if I simply wrote down the crap textbooks that my local PS was using? Would ds suddenly be a "loser" HSer that isn't worthy? Yet, those are the books that the PS kids are using, and they don't have to list their books. There isn't ROOM to write Homer, Shakespeare, Tolkien, Spencer, Kreeft, blah, blah, blah.

And don't even get me started about U of Utah requiring a GED. UTAH! UTAH! Hello! Someone page Joseph Smith!

Grrr.

a

I didn't use their form. I just wrote *please see attached transcript and course descriptions* and then uploaded a transcript and a course description document. No way was I going to try and describe dd's schoolwork on those wimpy little lines.

HTH

To tell you the truth, completing all of the paperwork was highly insightful for me. I loved writing my school philosophy (is that what it's called?). It required me to describe succintly but eloquently why we homeschooled through high school and what it looked like. As I wrote and thought and edited, I refined exactly what I want out of homeschooling for my kids.

And I loved describing ds' courses! It's like looking back over your calendar on December 31 and taking inventory of all that happened. Seeing all that ds did on paper -- the books he read, the texts he fully completed (and I noted that), the writing he did every year -- made me really proud of our home education.

It's a chance to brag Asta! Do it! And I suggest attaching a more detailed copy as well so you can avoid the one-line response. They asked for it! :001_smile:

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa
I hate seeing my typos in a block quote. :/

To tell you the truth, completing all of the paperwork was highly insightful for me. I loved writing my school philosophy (is that what it's called?). It required me to describe succintly but eloquently why we homeschooled through high school and what it looked like. As I wrote and thought and edited, I refined exactly what is was I want out of homeschooling for my kids.

And I loved describing ds' courses! It's like looking back over your calendar on December 31 and taking inventory of all that happened. Seeing all that ds did on paper -- the books he read, the texts he fully completed (and I noted that), the writing he did every year -- made me really proud of our home education.

It's a chance to brag Asta! Do it! And I suggest attaching a more detailed copy as well so you can avoid the one-line response. They asked for it! :001_smile:

Lisa

Yes!

My son's transcript did not fit the boxes of the homeschool supplement on the Common App. For example, he had five science classes and they only provided four lines. (Perhaps this has changed since he applied--I don't know.) So I telephoned the Admissions people at the schools to which he was applying and asked if they needed the redundancy of the Homeschool supplement if I was uploading the same information under the counselor's portion of the Common App. No, they did not. There really is no need to raise your blood pressure at this point. Once your son narrows his list, I would call admissions personnel and have a conversation on their expectation from homeschool applicants. Frankly I was happy to submit extra paperwork (like course descriptions) because my son did not follow a traditional path. I thought it important that Admissions people see what he did, why he did it and how.

We found Admissions staff to be helpful and accommodating. I would suggest that you calm down. Really.

To tell you the truth, completing all of the paperwork was highly insightful for me. I loved writing my school philosophy (is that what it's called?). It required me to describe succintly but eloquently why we homeschooled through high school and what it looked like. As I wrote and thought and edited, I refined exactly what is was I want out of homeschooling for my kids.

Lisa

:iagree: completely! The form you linked, Asta, is a part of the Common Application. The homeschool supplement form is required of homeschooled applicants by almost all colleges that use the Common Application (which is a lot of colleges).

Lisa has it right in my mind that by asking for a schooling philosophy and a counselor recommendation from us, the colleges are providing us a great opportunity to show how/why our students are different from the norm are desirable to the college. Think about it -- your local ps kids are probably getting that counselor form filled out by an overburdened, super busy counselor who hardly knows the child at hand. Your child's form is completed by you -- someone who knows the child, his education, and his interests very well.

I agree that the one line for primary text used was not adequate in most cases for my son's courses, so I just wrote on the lines on that form to see the information I provided with my son's transcript through the counselor part of the application. I was able to make the transcript in my own format and included 8 pages of course descriptions that gave a more complete picture of my son's education. He applied to & was accepted by 8 colleges. I never heard from any of them that they didn't like what I provided or that they weren't happy that I hadn't filled in every line of the homeschool supplement.

Sure there are some colleges out there that are unfriendly to homeschoolers. I've heard some stories from folks here and on other forums. We, however, did not find any. Even our state university was accomodating. They asked for some additional paperwork pertaining to the approval of our homeschool in this state, and I was happy to provide that.

Since your child's education is different from the norm, you might have to provide a little extra info during the application process so that college reviewers can understand that education. Homeschoolers are really so different in how they approach teaching their children, that the colleges really do need to ask for more to understand what was done. Since most on this board are giving their dc a rigorous education, IMO, we shouldn't be afraid to answer those questions.

I think if you go into the process with a good attitude, you will be pleasantly surprised that most folks are accommodating. There are so many colleges that are accommodating, it would be pretty easy to write-off those that aren't, as you suggest.

Best wishes through what is definitely a stressful process for all parties involved.

Brenda

Lisa

:iagree: When developing transcripts for the boys I was always shocked by the amount that we actually did accomplish. I often stress that we aren't getting the work done, that we aren't reading enough, that the boys have had a minimal education, that they would have done better in a "real" school...but then I make those lists, write out the educational goals we had, the academic philosophy we embraced...and I'm impressed!

Asta, as Lisa said, brag away to those colleges! It's a chance for home educated students to stand out! And feel free to attach anything you think the college might need in order to understand your student - even if they say not to do it. They can always throw it away ;)

I agree that the one line for primary text used was not adequate in most cases for my son's courses, so I just wrote on the lines on that form to see the information I provided with my son's transcript through the counselor part of the application. I was able to make the transcript in my own format and included 8 pages of course descriptions that gave a more complete picture of my son's education. He applied to & was accepted by 8 colleges. I never heard from any of them that they didn't like what I provided or that they weren't happy that I hadn't filled in every line of the homeschool supplement.

When I saw that form, that was my initial thought.

It was just... I don't know... it seems so stupid for a university to go to the trouble to make a "HOMESCHOOL" form that is so obviously un-homeschooler friendly. Are there homeschoolers out there that can honestly utilize that form without stapling pages (a packet) to the back of it?

I'm actually not in need of relaxing - this was kind of a tongue in cheek rant about the stupidity of cookie-cutter-ness. We all know that we will have to go above and beyond the "normal" application process for our kids. We know we will have to "prove" they were educated (even though PS kids don't have to). We know we have to provide booklists, sample work, philosophies, etc. -- that is why we keep everything, LOL!

It just seems so silly that, on the one hand, universities chomp at the bit for HSers, touting what great students they are, how well prepared they are, how mature they are (relatively), but on the other hand, essentially want their first born. It's like they haven't figured out that, perhaps if they asked a bit more from ALL applicants, they might have a better student body.

Oh, wait. It isn't about that. It's about money. Stupid me.

Yeah, I'm in a mood this week. Month. Year. DH is retiring from Phase I. We're shifting into Phase II. Lots of stress around here. Sorry.

a

I'm actually not in need of relaxing - this was kind of a tongue in cheek rant about the stupidity of cookie-cutter-ness. We all know that we will have to go above and beyond the "normal" application process for our kids. We know we will have to "prove" they were educated (even though PS kids don't have to). We know we have to provide booklists, sample work, philosophies, etc. -- that is why we keep everything, LOL!

It just seems so silly that, on the one hand, universities chomp at the bit for HSers, touting what great students they are, how well prepared they are, how mature they are (relatively), but on the other hand, essentially want their first born. It's like they haven't figured out that, perhaps if they asked a bit more from ALL applicants, they might have a better student body.

a

From our experience (and what some adcoms told us in person) schools don't really care about all that extra stuff if a homeschooled applicant has test scores that shine compared to other applicants (meaning top 25% or so of students) and some outside confirmation of ability/grades. They use that extra quite a bit if the student is in the lower 25% for test scores or doesn't have outside confirmation. If in the middle, they "consider" it - whatever that means.

With regards to the form(s), they are basic since many homeschoolers don't need to provide more than the basic. For those who are "lower" in test scores or outside confirmation, they want to see what will be provided (basic or more).

Why they don't want the same from ps students is a mystery though. Ps must have high, low, and middle too.

It was just... I don't know... it seems so stupid for a university to go to the trouble to make a "HOMESCHOOL" form that is so obviously un-homeschooler friendly. Are there homeschoolers out there that can honestly utilize that form without stapling pages (a packet) to the back of it?

a

Actually, a university did not create that form. The Common App people did.

When my son was applying to colleges, I learned from the Admissions people at one school that they had a representative who sat on the Common App committee that writes forms. I complained to her that many homeschoolers cannot be shoved into that particular form by the nature of their unique educations. She understood immediately since she served as the contact person for homeschool applicants. She said that she would raise this with her colleague who sat on the committee.

One wonders if the intention of the committee was to hold the hands with homeschoolers who are not clear on how to write a transcript.

From our experience (and what some adcoms told us in person) schools don't really care about all that extra stuff if a homeschooled applicant has test scores that shine compared to other applicants (meaning top 25% or so of students) and some outside confirmation of ability/grades. They use that extra quite a bit if the student is in the lower 25% for test scores or doesn't have outside confirmation. If in the middle, they "consider" it - whatever that means.

With regards to the form(s), they are basic since many homeschoolers don't need to provide more than the basic. For those who are "lower" in test scores or outside confirmation, they want to see what will be provided (basic or more).

Why they don't want the same from ps students is a mystery though. Ps must have high, low, and middle too.

I think I want to add a YMMV to your post. My son had high test scores but the colleges to which he applied were still very interested in the ancillary material. Perhaps it was just the LACs on his list? And perhaps it was unnecessary. (Shoulder shrug.) One admissions officer said that I was more organized than most homeschooling parents (snort!) so perhaps they don't expect to receive course descriptions.

I think I want to add a YMMV to your post. My son had high test scores but the colleges to which he applied were still very interested in the ancillary material. Perhaps it was just the LACs on his list? And perhaps it was unnecessary. (Shoulder shrug.) One admissions officer said that I was more organized than most homeschooling parents (snort!) so perhaps they don't expect to receive course descriptions.

I'm sure it is a case where individual colleges vary, but I've heard the same from large publics to small LAC's, so I'm not 100% sure. All colleges wanted to "know" the applicant, but they didn't necessarily care if the info came from that homeschool supplement or elsewhere (essays, ec's on the regular app, etc). In interviews my son was regularly asked questions about his ec's. He was never asked anything about any particular book we used for coursework. He was asked what he thought about being homeschooled (and we had practiced being diplomatic with that answer!). Any question I can think of that he was asked came from the regular app or a scholarship app. None came directly from the homeschool supp.

Next year I'll find out if it's the same with middle son as he goes for a whole different set of colleges. I'm not at all concerned with the homeschool supp anymore though. Yes, I'll fill it out, but it will be more basic - nothing fancy or time consuming. What middle son writes on the regular app and scholarship apps will count for more IMO.

I'm sure it is a case where individual colleges vary, but I've heard the same from large publics to small LAC's, so I'm not 100% sure. All colleges wanted to "know" the applicant, but they didn't necessarily care if the info came from that homeschool supplement or elsewhere (essays, ec's on the regular app, etc). In interviews my son was regularly asked questions about his ec's. He was never asked anything about any particular book we used for coursework. He was asked what he thought about being homeschooled (and we had practiced being diplomatic with that answer!). Any question I can think of that he was asked came from the regular app or a scholarship app. None came directly from the homeschool supp.

Absolutely agreeing with you about schools wanting to "know" the applicant. I can think of two situations where friends had their curriculum questioned. In one case, I think it may have been by an Admissions Counselor who was completely unfamiliar with the concept of homeschooling. The other was a case of a college that does not require SAT or ACT scores for admissions. I know that the young man had to submit a portfolio of his work and outside accomplishments. Honestly, I don't know if this was expected of all applicants or just homeschoolers.

I think that one thing some homeschoolers forget is that admissions counselors are often familiar with the curriculum or reputation of certain high schools. Students applying from the podunk public high school near me would have to sell themselves a bit harder than someone applying from a high school that is recognized by its reputation.

Another thing that needs to be considered is the nature of the college itself. Some colleges seem to want to try to place students in an apples to apples situation (hence they want x number of SAT subjects beyond the basic SAT or ACT score). Other schools seem to look for "quirky" students who do not necessarily fit in little boxes. My son's college prides itself on that. One of my son's acquaintances was not interested in grades or standardized exams in high school. Instead he wrote a novel. The lad is apparently doing quite well at my son's school. :D

Absolutely agreeing with you about schools wanting to "know" the applicant. I can think of two situations where friends had their curriculum questioned. In one case, I think it may have been by an Admissions Counselor who was completely unfamiliar with the concept of homeschooling. The other was a case of a college that does not require SAT or ACT scores for admissions. I know that the young man had to submit a portfolio of his work and outside accomplishments. Honestly, I don't know if this was expected of all applicants or just homeschoolers.

I think that one thing some homeschoolers forget is that admissions counselors are often familiar with the curriculum or reputation of certain high schools. Students applying from the podunk public high school near me would have to sell themselves a bit harder than someone applying from a high school that is recognized by its reputation.

Another thing that needs to be considered is the nature of the college itself. Some colleges seem to want to try to place students in an apples to apples situation (hence they want x number of SAT subjects beyond the basic SAT or ACT score). Other schools seem to look for "quirky" students who do not necessarily fit in little boxes. My son's college prides itself on that. One of my son's acquaintances was not interested in grades or standardized exams in high school. Instead he wrote a novel. The lad is apparently doing quite well at my son's school. :D

:iagree:

Besides what you wrote, percentage of accepted students at any particular college would matter. If a college routinely accepts a fair number of applicants, less is likely needed. If a college routinely accepts very few students, I'd probably be doing more even with high test scores.

If one is after a non-SAT/ACT dependent major, other info pertaining to the desired major would be very useful too.

But I still say, after going through the process with my first guy I'm far less concerned with the homeschool supp than with my second. Knowing the applicant is what is important. If one wishes to do more with the homeschool supp to be known, it's a valid opportunity. If one wishes to show it elsewhere, it's also valid. :D

I concurred with Asta but my comments should have been prefaced by saying we didn't use the common app. So, essentially, we encountered 13 universities that all left us little to no space to explain our curriculum choices and somehow expected us TO EXPLAIN OUR CURRICULUM CHOICES on their short little lines. Most said in the app that they did not need or want any other documentation other than what was requested on the form. But, it was literaly IMPOSSIBLE to give them the information they requested on the application provided. This is why I stapled an appendix to each application and used SEVERAL staples so that some flunky would likely be forced to actually look at it and determine what it was before just ripping it off and promptly losing it or separating it from the application itself.

For the most part, we did not find the admission's department of any of these 13 institutions to be all that helpful until after she was accepted (at all of them too so we were very proud). Once accepted, they suddenly became much nicer. Therefore, I can seriously understand Asta's angst.

Faith

I concurred with Asta but my comments should have been prefaced by saying we didn't use the common app. So, essentially, we encountered 13 universities that all left us little to no space to explain our curriculum choices and somehow expected us TO EXPLAIN OUR CURRICULUM CHOICES on their short little lines. Most said in the app that they did not need or want any other documentation other than what was requested on the form. But, it was literaly IMPOSSIBLE to give them the information they requested on the application provided. This is why I stapled an appendix to each application and used SEVERAL staples so that some flunky would likely be forced to actually look at it and determine what it was before just ripping it off and promptly losing it or separating it from the application itself.

For the most part, we did not find the admission's department of any of these 13 institutions to be all that helpful until after she was accepted (at all of them too so we were very proud). Once accepted, they suddenly became much nicer. Therefore, I can seriously understand Asta's angst.

Faith

Wow! Thirteen schools with such homeschool unfriendly applications!! I can see why you are or were frustrated.

My son applied to six colleges, three of which used the Common App exclusively. At two he could choose the Common App or the school's application. The remaining only had its form, which was less involved than the application to the honor's program there. The latter was a doozy.

To be honest, we found some of the questions on the individual colleges' supplements to the Common App to be the most mind boggling, requiring essays on topics which seemed completely foreign to a seventeen year old applicant. And, as usual, there was always the problem of fitting data into electronic forms where an insufficient number of characters was allowed.

Let's just say that the process took a lot of time and thought but then it was my first time wearing the counselor hat. Perhaps things become easier?

The large state school to which my son applied had the least helpful admissions staff whereas the private colleges (and one large private university) had admissions personnel that were extremely accommodating. My small sample of six clearly does not reflect the experience of others!

Faith

Yes! This concept!

I realize I posted the common app (and now know it is most likely under review)... but what about the other nimrods? :glare:

a

Yes!

that Admissions people see what he did, why he did it and how.

We found Admissions staff to be helpful and accommodating. I would suggest that you calm down. Really.

:iagree: Call first. I did this when dd wanted to homeschool all of high school. I did this again when dd decided to transfer to ps and I was concerned about foreign language requirements due to a change in languages, etc. I will do this again for any dc who graduate at home (hopefully at least one will, but the pressure is on now that my eldest loves ps).

The large state school to which my son applied had the least helpful admissions staff whereas the private colleges (and one large private university) had admissions personnel that were extremely accommodating. My small sample of six clearly does not reflect the experience of others!

:iagree: In our state, homeschoolers have to take the GED to go to state colleges/universities. There are some private colleges that are very homeschool friendly. I personally hate the common app on principle.

In our state, homeschoolers have to take the GED to go to state colleges/universities.

In our state a large public (18,000 students) is one that wanted middle son to apply this year and go early - without even finishing his high school credits. He has a good chance of going to that school since it might be a financial safety and is superb for what he wants to do, but next year, not this one. "I" want him to be more traditional with his age and such.

It is amazing how different they are with regards to homeschoolers and friendliness.

My personal motto has become... If a college is not friendly to homeschoolers, they don't need my student (or $$). There are plenty of others out there.

We just finished this. As recommended here, on that form for each subject in the first box, I wrote:

See Course Description Document Included With the Transcript.

On the Counselor Page, I uploaded a pdf of this big-ole-transcript-document.

The first page: the transcript

The transcript was a year-by-year document not by subject by subject.

The following pages: Course Descriptions

To balance the format of the transcript document, the Course Description Document had a Table of Contents by Subject - English Courses first, then Social Science, Mathematics, Science, and Electives. You can quickly glance through it to see the number of courses per discipline, the title of the course and the type of course (CC, on-line, dvd course, textbook course, homeschool-designed course)

Following the two-page TOC were the actual course descriptions. As requested by son's top choice school, each course description had:

Course Title

Type of Course: Online; Homeschool Course; etc.

A Short Summary of the Course

A List of Materials Used

Method of Evaluation - a short description here

Final Grade

I tried to develop this with an eye towards "more" info as you go. The transcript provides the least amount of personalized info, but it's standard. The Course Description Table of Contents organizes the courses by subject and provides a one-liner about what KIND of course it was. The actual Course Description provides the most information, but even that is grouped by category so you can scan it if you want to.

According to admin counselor at son's top choice, it was exactly the kind of snap-shot they are looking for. "I can glance through this and get a really good understanding of your son's education. This is perfect."

This is a TON of work. Yes. But now that I've done it for one kid, it is going to be a breeze for the others. Now all I need to do is get someone to pay me to do this for their kid. It seems like someone could make a mint counseling hsing parents about college applications. I know I would have LOVED it if I could have had a couple of hours of sit-down time with someone who already did this BEFORE we had started. I can't believe how many times I felt like I was trying to build the first motor car in my dining room with a pile of parts. FORTUNATELY the gals were here on the boards to help every time I didn't know what to do. But I still had to do it. I can't believe how much work it is. No wonder our local ps has an army of guidance counselors.

You can do it. Try not to get your knickers in a knot. :001_smile::001_smile: The whole thing makes a ton of sense after you do it. But it's really nebulous before that. You just have to search, read, and do for it to make sense. Unsettling. I know! You'll make it. I still have the FAFSA to go - fortunately that's an "every parent" form - those are easier than the guidance counselor forms. Every parent forms are square pegs into square holes. Guidance forms are SUPPOSED to be round peg/round hole - or if you did classical ed they really can look like a dodecahedron into a round hole. Add in a bit of eclectic hsing and you've got a regular dodecahedron. Sure it will fit, but you spend a ton of time trying to explain why it doesn't fit exactly. "Yes, mmmm. Well you kind of have to hold it there. It will go THROUGH the hole, but it keeps on going. It won't stay there." Then you flash your magic cape and redirect their attention to the documents you created anyway. The ones that EXPLAIN the faces of the Dod. All the while trying to convince them of what you already suspect. That your kid isn't a DUD! In fact, he's really MUCH more interesting that a cylinder - that of course would slide nicely into the round hole and would sit there without causing problems. :001_smile:

Keep smiling!

Peace!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I'm actually not in need of relaxing - this was kind of a tongue in cheek rant about the stupidity of cookie-cutter-ness.

Commiseration about the Common App here. Ds1 actually never used it, but I just completed a recommendation on Common App and it was irritating. The evening I sat down to compose, I couldn't remember my password and I was locked out after trying a few times. :glare: After e-mailing and getting that straightened out the next day, I was proofing my MASTERPIECE when it locked me out for inactivity! I had saved only the introductory material.

Anyway, hugs Asta. Lots of emotion the year you have one graduating.

Lisa

For those who have experience with this: does the homeschool-friendliness of a school's website or application form tend to reflect the actual experience for homeschoolers? I'm thinking of a particular college whose website doesn't seem especially welcoming to homeschooled applicants, but I've spoken with several homeschooled students who have found the school and its administrators very accommodating. Is the website/application usually indicative of the general attitude?

We did do the homeschool supplement for some schools. We didn't actually fill out almost anything on that form. I think we did do something about homeschool associations, or something like that. We did attach a counselor letter and a homeschool philosophy paper. We included an official transcript. I did not include any course descriptions since the transcript is self explanatory. So far, she has seven acceptances, one deferral till spring ( a highly selective college where she was at the 25% mark in test scores), and two more she is waiting for. I specifically asked one college that will announce results in March do we need course descriptions and they said, not unless the transcript is not self explanatory. Not only did none of the colleges want this, every college (t she has been accepted to that already has decided who is getting merit aid has offered her major merit aid ( I mean double digit type per year). At one other, she will automatically get a very generous grant plus possibly a full ride. The other I am not sure about but none of their merit awards are awarded until mid to late Feb. Don't stress.

My kids are way too busy living life and so am I to go through extra, extra hoops. They both just figured that it is the college's loss if they want to require inordinate extras from us. We didn't feel that the guidance counselor letter or the homeschool philosophy paper was really any different than the things required of Brick and mortar school kids. It was just that we were doing it instead of a paid counselor.

What my final kid will decide, I don't know. She actually has a favorite school right now so we will see in the next several years if that will stay the same. I would have no issues with her going to that school and it is one of the ones her sister was admitted to without extra hoops.

For those who have experience with this: does the homeschool-friendliness of a school's website or application form tend to reflect the actual experience for homeschoolers? I'm thinking of a particular college whose website doesn't seem especially welcoming to homeschooled applicants, but I've spoken with several homeschooled students who have found the school and its administrators very accommodating. Is the website/application usually indicative of the general attitude?

I can't answer that question specifically, but I can say that in my son's experience, if you don't get the answer you want from one person, ask someone else. And ask someone else. All of the office staff and professors and such have different powers and different opinions.

Julie

I can't speak for all schools, but the same public U that wanted my junior son to apply this year doesn't even mention homeschoolers on their web site. I had my son write and ask them if they had specific other requirements or needed a special diploma, etc. They wrote back (quickly) that they do want homeschoolers and need nothing extra - I assume that means for all, not just kids with my guy's stats, but I don't know 100% that this is true as it was a personal e-mail from an adcom.

And even now he is only marginally interested... like "um... is there one located in a desert?" :confused:

LOL. Yes, tell him my DH was stationed there. It was called Ft. Irwin, CA and it was in the middle of the Mojave. He'll get an education alright. ;) :D

(I'm actually of ZERO practical help. Sorry.)

Yes!

My son's transcript did not fit the boxes of the homeschool supplement on the Common App. For example, he had five science classes and they only provided four lines. (Perhaps this has changed since he applied--I don't know.) So I telephoned the Admissions people at the schools to which he was applying and asked if they needed the redundancy of the Homeschool supplement if I was uploading the same information under the counselor's portion of the Common App. No, they did not. There really is no need to raise your blood pressure at this point. Once your son narrows his list, I would call admissions personnel and have a conversation on their expectation from homeschool applicants. Frankly I was happy to submit extra paperwork (like course descriptions) because my son did not follow a traditional path. I thought it important that Admissions people see what he did, why he did it and how.

But Asta is so funny when she's ticked. Don't stop being ticked, Asta. It is asinine! And I love your sense of humor!