Menu

LL 1 versus LfC A

MyLittleWonders

We've used part of LfC A & all of LL1. At the time we used LfC A, dd abhorred it. She hated the activity book, she didn't like doing the workbook, you name it. We used LL the next year and she completed it happily.

Just a few days ago she announced that she had "really loved that first Latin curriculum we used, the one with the book that had all the mazes and crossword puzzles!" :tongue_smilie:

I think that the difficulty level is similar. If you use the reader in LfC A, it would provide more translation practice, definitely. The main difference, though, is in presentation, IMO.

We've used part of LfC A & all of LL1. At the time we used LfC A, dd abhorred it. She hated the activity book, she didn't like doing the workbook, you name it. We used LL the next year and she completed it happily.

Just a few days ago she announced that she had "really loved that first Latin curriculum we used, the one with the book that had all the mazes and crossword puzzles!" :tongue_smilie:

I think that the difficulty level is similar. If you use the reader in LfC A, it would provide more translation practice, definitely. The main difference, though, is in presentation, IMO.

Too funny about your dd announcing that she really loved "that first Latin curriculum"! Sounds like something my ds#1 would say. :tongue_smilie: Thank you for your thoughts too. We are doing LfC A right now and I really like it, but I'm concerned that the jump from A to B will be a bit too much for my boys (it probably won't ... we still have half the year to get through and I'm sure by then, LfC B won't look so intimidating), so I was wondering if a "gap" year in LL 1 would be a good refresher without being too easy. But, maybe it would be and LfC B will be much more appropriate once we completely LfC A.

I also thought if we did a gap year in Latin by relearning everything we learned but with a different curriculum, that would allow us to introduce a new language (Spanish) without completely overdoing it. (I do have a habit of trying to do too much as it's hard for me to whittle down our subjects, so maybe a second language next year is too much no matter if we go on to LfC B or review first year Latin.)