Menu

ARGGGGHHH Breathe...breathe....breathe.... (drawing with children frustration_)

Halcyon

My boys BEG to do Drawing With Children...BEG. But every. single. time. we do it both boys end up throwing their pens in frustration, crying, ripping their drawings, because they "can't get it right", they "can't draw". They get SO frustrated!!!! And then I am like "why the heck are we even doing this????" and _I_ get frustrated. I mean, drawing is supposed to be FUN, right????? dash3.gif

Thake this with a grain of salt, because I'm a young mom, too; but I think that if it were me and my kids were begging to do something that led to complaining I would tell them that we will do it as long as there is a good attitude (then lay out specifics) as soon as it turns to a time that is not fun for you...you're done.

That's just what I would do. :) OR

I would get the online draw squad and let someone else be the teacher. ;)

If your kids beg to do art and love it in theory but hate the program you're using, pick a new one. Personally, I find Drawing with Children to be overwhelming and difficult, although I love the theory of it. I just can't manage to implement it.

I recently caved and found an artist willing to come to my house weekly to teach art to my kids. They love it, I love it, and I feel like they are finally getting the art education I've been wanting them to have.

But you could just shop around for a new art program. Artistic Pursuits is pretty easy to implement.

No help here, as we ditched Drawing with Children because I couldn't figure it out :). Just wanted to commiserate on the what are they thinking aspect! Dd told me this morning that she didn't like math because it was too hard and she didn't know how to do it, this after she had just finished a word problem on the very same thing all by herself, that she got right:001_huh:. I'll never figure that one out, good luck on finding art that they will enjoy!

I was recommended Draw Write Now's book 7 for doing Geography. Someone on this board recommended it. I love it so much that I bought the series. I love it. I am horrible at drawing, the cow I did yesterday with my son, it is not great art by any means, but it looks like a cow!

Have you reviewed the points she mentions going over with your students about attitude? My daughter used to get so upset when she would go to draw something because it never came out how she wanted, but Mona Brooks has a section in the book (page 12) that I found really helpful for my daughter. When I went over that list with my her, she stopped getting frustrated with her work and was able to take more pleasure in what she drew. To me, a big chunk of the program is about attitude.

If that doesn't work for your kids, or you've already done it, then I'd definitely move on to something else.

Lisa

If that's how it was going every time, I either wouldn't use it at all anymore (and would try to find something similar but a bit easier/less frustrating), or I'd do what someone else said and at the very first sign of frustration, I'd immediately put a stop to that day's lesson. (Not as a punishment kind of thing or with an annoyed attitude, just a cheerful but firm "okay we're moving on now" kind of thing, to try to avoid it getting to that point).

I started that program with high hopes. My one son, who does have natural ability did well, but the other two ended up crying, so we quit it. I also didn't like it because it just didn't seem to give me enough guidance. It's like, here are the 5 things of drawing, now go copy the bird picture. It kind of frustrated me, for all their claims to be gentle and that even non-drawers would do well. We're revamping our fine-arts program this semester and we won't be doing applied art. Just art appreciation and I'm buying the artistic son some of those books like, "How to draw Dinosaurs" so he can have fun on his own.

If everyone loves drawing and the book is driving you to the point of insanity...drop the book. Take a drive to a scenic place, the zoo, where ever with your paper, pencils, pens (whatever you choose to draw with) and draw. Drawing does not have to be perfect so long as it is fun. Take a picnic lunch with you.

You could also find an older child/student who excels at drawing and ask him/her if they would be willing to give your children art lessons. I pay a homeschool student $10 for a class for both of my children twice a month. They have loved it!

Good luck.

I really despised that book. That was the first to go. It was completely boring and child-unfriendly.

I'd dump it and move on to something more interesting. Young kids don't care much about shading and space and angles.

Let them pick something they want to draw by themselves through a either a nature study or through Draw Right Now books using different mediums. Even have them find a picture to copy and draw. If they beg for that book, have then utilize what they learned from that book, but move on.

We have and try Drawing with Children as well.

You can see one of his Tico projects here:

http://www.whispersprings.com/homeschooling/after-the-holidays/

He didn't mind this one as much because it showed the lines to draw. He did get frustrated by the painting though because he wanted it to be perfect.

We also use this Draw Write Now set and he LOVES LOVES loves it!! These books are one of the best home school investments that I have ever (yes ever) made. They are used several times per week. I feel good about the fact that he's getting a little bit of art instruction several times a week during science, illustrating Phonics Road readers, and other various projects.

You can see one of his science narrations using it here:

handwriting2.jpg

Yesterday we learned about llamas and there are no llamas in Draw Write Now and it was a nightmare. He could not even put his pencil to the paper. He would not even try to draw it. He said he can't. This concerns me in some ways because I don't want him to feel that he can only draw the things in the book! I think this is balanced out though by our Artistic Pursuits projects where it is completely from his own creative imagination.

Another benefit of the Draw Write Now books is that it includes the geography drawings as outlined in The Core. We just started doing this as part of our memory work and it's a wonderful guide to drawing the world!!

Oh and I wanted to add that in one of the books...I think it's Artistic Pursuits? it talks about how artists don't love EVERYTHING they create. They create a lot and may only like a few of their final products and that's ok. I will have to take him back to that for a review. If you review the entire process of an artist: they compose, they imagine, they create, etc and that they don't always love everything they make and that's ok...it might click something. I'm sure for my guy it will take a lot of reminding.

Another thing we do is I will encourage him to color in coloring books because I hope it will give him an idea of shape and form just by coloring.

In general, he's just not all that artistic. He will say this himself and I wish he didn't feel this way, but it might just be something that we have to accept.

One more rambling comment from me. Can you tell this hit a nerve with us? I'm really trying to instill in him that learning takes EFFORT and practice and time. I've stopped telling him that he's smart and am trying to focus more on encouraging and praising his efforts and reminding him that if he wants to be able play a new song or draw an animal that he's never drawn before it will take effort and a lot of practice. Sitting there without a mark on the paper saying, "I can't do it!" is not trying and of course it will produce nothing. Putting his pencil to the paper and making an effort will produce something that he can learn from and that's how he will get better. I helped him to see the lines of a llama by looking at a photograph and he finally drew one the best he could but was upset the whole time that it didn't look like the picture. I praised him for his effort and we talked about the different types of lines he used to create the drawing. I reminded him that we are not BORN knowing these things. We must practice to learn.

Of course, this is a process for us as well! It's hard to see them "upset" and trying to work through something that is difficult. I allow him his feelings. If he gets upset or cries, I will comfort him and do the best that I can to continue teaching it, ask if he wants to take a break (the answer is always no), give him his space (leave the room for awhile) if I think that will help. It's normal and natural to feel frustrated when working on a task that is new and difficult. As long as he's not being destructive, hurting himself, hurting others, emotional outbursts are fine with me. Sometimes they are necessary to break through to the other side.

I started off the year with us all doing drawing together- me, my 10th grader, 5th grader, and 4th grader.

It often ended in tears from my 4th grader and I could tell my 5th grader wasn't really enjoying it.

Now everyone does the lessons on their own and they are all enjoying drawing!

We use Draw Squad so it is easy for them to use on thier own!

We are slowly going through DWC right now too. My 6 yr old gets a little panicky partway through. She got upset near the beginning of her project yesterday, and I did let her start over and carefully focus on the part she didn't like.

I just wanted to add too, that we spent a great deal of time on the beginning stuff about attitude and artists, and we do the breathing exercises and warm ups every time too.

My dds really got a lot from the part showing what to do w/ a mistake in your art. They have both used the tips there in past projects to fix a mistake, and I have been proud of them.

But if you have done all of that, and still have issues, pay me no mind....

No help here, as we ditched Drawing with Children because I couldn't figure it out :).

:iagree:

and fwiw drawing is a skill that requires a lot of practice. We wouldn't need to practice if we already knew how to do it. This is a concept that takes a lifetime to "get". Most of us don't like to do something that challenges us . . . it's HARD to learn a technical skill. I DO require my kids to work at it and for it regardless of the pencil throwing and fit fests. I gently tell them that THIS (their frustration, etc.) is part of the reason we're practicing this skill (be it drawing or something else). We have to coach them through it . . . but I agree that there are days when I look at them like this :glare: and this :blink: and then turn around and do this :001_tt2: before calmly coaching them once again. :grouphug: And hats off to you for tackling Drawing With Children. That book left me feeling brain dead and dumb. It is HARD.

I think DWC is one of those books that works great for some kids and horribly for others. My ds did the book in first grade and drew some really amazing pictures. He is not at all artsy, but breaking pictures down really made sense to him. While using it with him, I realized that it would not be a good fit for dd, who is two years younger. She is very creative and likes more freedom and less directions in art. It would have frustrated her to no end. I agree with other posters that if it is causing tears, move on. There are other great programs or classes out there.

I thought I would LOVE DWC but had a ton of frustration here too. I agree that drawing takes a lot of practice. BUt I like the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and

The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study Nicolaides, Kimon

Dang that is BIG. I went to the School of Visual Arts and those were 2 books that I found helpful. Working with DD I like the exercises in Drawing on the Right Side because she teaches you how to look and see to draw. (one ex draw something without looking at the paper then draw the same thing but look at your paper a little.) This exercise will give your children a great giggle as drawing without looking can result in a unique look. It will help build confidence too.

The Nicolaides method is akin to capturing the essence of the subject. This is abstract yes, but a 30 sec drawing to quickly capture the shape is great for folks who get frustrated easily. Imagine needing to draw the essence of a character that they like or the family pet with what amounts to scribbles! They will love it if you can all laugh. This may help them to come back to DWC and not be so easily frustrated.

I hate that book and felt so guilty about giving it up when we were using MFW 1st. Was afraid my son would never be able to draw if I didn't teach him! ha! He's terrific at drawing. I have found my children gained more in this dept. w/o formal instruction.

In California...we found an art teacher that was certified through the Mona...whatever it's called and she was licensed to teach classes from the DWC book/concept.

Anyhooo....my boys LOVED LOVED LOVED her classes and their drawings were so cool!

But "I" was never able to pull off any kind of instruction from the book myself. It boggled my mind. But then, so many things do. hahaha I have to have seriously simple things to work with.

My son collects "how to draw" books of all kinds from anywhere he spots them. Sam's Club, Barnes and Noble, the school store, magazines. How to draw animals, cartoons, nature, just whatever...and even though it's different authors and books....he's done SO well with that.