Menu

The epic of gilgamesh

It is not a book for kids, generally speaking. Sex is an integral part of the story. Geraldine McCaughrean has a good child-friendly version. I don't know of a free, online, child-friendly, *good* re-telling.

Thanks. We read the little section in SotW1, and that may be as far as we can go till I can get to the library.

Well, we like the Stephen Mitchell version because it puts Gilgamesh in historical context, but it also puts it in a religious framework that, as secular with a Catholic bent, homeschoolers, we have no problem with; however, Christian homeschoolers might oppose.

That said, Gilgamesh IS as sexual, violent, creation story that has clear parallels to many biblical stories and does predate it by at least 1,000 years. I don't know how to avoid that, kwim?

Well, we like the Stephen Mitchell version because it puts Gilgamesh in historical context, but it also puts it in a religious framework that, as secular with a Catholic bent, homeschoolers, we have no problem with; however, Christian homeschoolers might oppose.

That said, Gilgamesh IS as sexual, violent, creation story that has clear parallels to many biblical stories and does predate it by at least 1,000 years. I don't know how to avoid that, kwim?

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I guess I wasn't expecting something like that in 5th grade. I had never read it before so I didn't really know what to expect.

Young-earthers would have a problem with it, but not Christians/protestants in general from a historical/religious imagery perspective, imo.

We did the McCaughrean version until ninth grade. My ninth grader was quite shocked when she finally read the real thing (we used the David Ferry version).