Menu

Math Troubles

My dd, who is 13, has been having trouble with math for a long time now. We have been in Saxon 7/6 for a year and a half. We have the DIVE cd for it and use it. When any of my children get more then 6 wrong on a lesson of mixed practice I have them do it over again. Many of the mistakes are attention to detail. I usually go over all missed problems with them and go over concepts several times if needed.She has no known learning disabilities. Almost every lesson she has to repeat because of so many mistakes. I wouldn't advance her in the math but she can pass all of the tests with 3 or less which is my requirement.

I am not sure what to do. I am thinking about getting some of the Keys To workbook series and focusing on certian skills. Other then that I am at a loss. Any ideas? I am starting to worry.:001_huh:

My dd, who is 13, has been having trouble with math for a long time now. We have been in Saxon 7/6 for a year and a half. We have the DIVE cd for it and use it. When any of my children get more then 6 wrong on a lesson of mixed practice I have them do it over again. Many of the mistakes are attention to detail. I usually go over all missed problems with them and go over concepts several times if needed.She has no known learning disabilities. Almost every lesson she has to repeat because of so many mistakes. I wouldn't advance her in the math but she can pass all of the tests with 3 or less which is my requirement.

I am not sure what to do. I am thinking about getting some of the Keys To workbook series and focusing on certian skills. Other then that I am at a loss. Any ideas? I am starting to worry.:001_huh:

Ok you said she can pass all her tests with 3 or less wrong- is it that she understands the concept but is just getting bored with so much daily work? I do not use saxon but I have heard it has a ton of practice problems. How many does she do in a day? Is there a certain skill that keeps coming up in her wrong answers? (fractions? decimals? anything like that) I would recommend you give her a break from Saxon and let her do some LoF and then go back to the saxon. Maybe she just needs a different style. My dd was doing that with her chalkdust math. We added in the LoF and its been much better!

I've posted this before, but maybe it'd be helpful to you.

Dd was making a lot of simple, mostly-computational mistakes. I started waiting to correct her work until the next day, allowing her time in the am of that second day to go over it and double check it. She caught many of her own errors, and started making many less!

Perhaps you could try that.

And I guess, if she's missing no more than 3 on each test, I'd just let her move on, without making her redo everything--because I don't "grade" practice/homework. I expect some mistakes. I don't treat every assignment as a test, which must be "perfect," or nearly so, but as, well, practice.