Menu

A new first for me in public high school

One would think after 11 years subbing in our public high school that I'd seen it all or variations of it all. Not so. Yesterday a couple gals found 3 homemade capsules of drugs and turned them over to me. I guess I'm sheltered, but I've never actually held illegal drugs in my hand before - and certainly not been given them during a class (gals found them in a lab table drawer).

The admin thinks they were placed there for a student in a drop for someone else, but they've no idea who either party were (certainly NOT the gals that turned them over to me). The drugs weren't positively identified by the lab yet, but the best guess they have is crystal meth (so I was told).

I could have lived without that experience. I know drugs are out there and students are wasting money and their futures with them, but I don't need to really "know" about it, esp in front of a class. (sigh)

Wow. Just wow! I would have no clue.

Yeah, I had to think quickly to figure out what my plan was. I decided it was above my pay grade and called admin right then and there. I tried to be discrete, but seriously, there was no way to keep what was happening under cover in a class of high school kids. "I" didn't want the responsibility of keeping those pills safe until the end of the day. What if they had disappeared? I can't cover every aspect of that room 100% no matter how hard I try, and I didn't want to put them in my pocket!

Welcome to the world of public high school. Sigh. BTDT in my 16 years of experience teaching/counseling high school.

The sad thing is that with all the drug counseling the schools do, the problem seems to be getting worse. And the kids seem to be more and more bold about it. I used to inform the kids that if they TOLD me they had drugs I had to report it......I would still have kids tell me "I have rocks in my locker." I guess I should just be glad they told me, but then they would act like I was the bad guy for turning them in. SERIOUSLY? I WARNED you several times that there are 5 things you cannot tell me or I have to report it. (drugs, weapons, threat to harm others, threat to harm yourself, and any abuse)

Dawn

Welcome to the world of public high school. Sigh. BTDT in my 16 years of experience teaching/counseling high school.

The sad thing is that with all the drug counseling the schools do, the problem seems to be getting worse. And the kids seem to be more and more bold about it. I used to inform the kids that if they TOLD me they had drugs I had to report it......I would still have kids tell me "I have rocks in my locker." I guess I should just be glad they told me, but then they would act like I was the bad guy for turning them in. SERIOUSLY? I WARNED you several times that there are 5 things you cannot tell me or I have to report it. (drugs, weapons, threat to harm others, threat to harm yourself, and any abuse)

Dawn

I think it's getting worse too, but it's definitely always been there. My previous "worse" story was one young lad drawing a pic of marijuana in his math notes while beginning to sing out loud during class. His self-stated goal was that he wanted everyone in the school to know who he was. I guess he succeeded. But for all those times I had to turn a report in due to overheard talk or suspicious behavior, I've never actually held illegal drugs in my hand before. The only times I've actually seen them in person were in police displays (behind glass). I don't ever want to be in admin and have to deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis. It's not my calling... I feel for those who have to deal with it - in school, in families, or wherever. I hope my own boys never get drawn into it.

required substitute teacher training and I went through it. It was conducted by police officers! I could have sworn I signed up for the wrong training. It was all about how to spot drug use. One of the main ways of passing drugs along is putting them in a book (especially inside the spine of the book) and then "loaning" the book to another student. I was amazed.

One of my teacher highlights while subbing in a middle school is breaking up a fight between two 8th graders (both of whom were taller than me). One of the boys spun around, pointed a finger in my chest and said, "If I can't hit him, I'm going to hit you!"

If I had said that to a teacher when I was that age, I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week, not to mention I would have been grounded, forced to apologize, etc. It's amazing the behavior we - as a society - tolerate these days.

required substitute teacher training and I went through it. It was conducted by police officers! I could have sworn I signed up for the wrong training. It was all about how to spot drug use. One of the main ways of passing drugs along is putting them in a book (especially inside the spine of the book) and then "loaning" the book to another student. I was amazed.

One of my teacher highlights while subbing in a middle school is breaking up a fight between two 8th graders (both of whom were taller than me). One of the boys spun around' date=' pointed a finger in my chest and said, "If I can't hit him, I'm going to hit you!"

If I had said that to a teacher when I was that age, I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week, not to mention I would have been grounded, forced to apologize, etc. It's amazing the behavior we - as a society - tolerate these days.[/quote']

Hmm, we didn't get the specific "spot drug use" training. It could be helpful I suppose. I just prefer to stick with the math and science.

With regards to stopping fights. We are told we are NEVER allowed to hit a student - not even if they are hitting us. When kids fight in our school anyone who hits another student (even the student being attacked) gets suspended for 7 - 10 days. There's no case by case looking at anything.

I broke up a fight once, but the girls were both respectful to me. I seriously don't know what I'd do if I were attacked. I'm not certain I could overcome the instinct to fight back. Our school has some big sturdy men that are usually on duty in the lunchroom and at the bus loading area - just in case. We get a fight once every couple of months or so. It's usually over boyfriend/girlfriend issues. The last one was a guy upset at another guy for bragging about sleeping with his girlfriend (attacker's girlfriend). Meanwhile I'm surprised that kids are openly fighting and talking about it (using graphic terms) at school. I grew up in a different generation. Sleeping around still happened, of course, but it wasn't something one talked about in front of teachers at school, much less fight at school about it. Outside of school out in a store parking lot was a different matter entirely - as was the grapevine.