Menu

I think I'm giving up, did Try out Math Mammoth today

parias1126

with my DD8 and my DS6. I had posted last week because I felt like I was failing my DD8 because she just doesn't get math. A lot of you suggested MM. I was switching my son to MM anyway this week. He just finished CLE 1st grade math and was so bored with it that he flew through it in less then half a year.

I printed out 2copies and asked my DD8 who really struggles to come sit with us. She was in tears by the time she got to #2. She didn't understand it with the abacus or even our MUS blocks. My DS had 3/4 of the page done and she was still on #2 so I took the paper away, told her she was amazing and did a great job and to go play and have fun. When I finished with my DS which took all of 15 minutes to complee two pages, I called my DD8 back to the table and we had fun together playing Sum Swamp.

I really feel like giving up. She doesn't get math. Her brain just isn't wired that way. It comes so easy for my DS and I feel like I have been holding him back for 4 months now with CLE because she requires my constant help and attention. I have been working with the public school since November trying to see if they can get an IEP in place for her. We went to a meeting this morning and they plan on testing her next week.

I feel horrible because this isn't me. I don't give up on my children because they have trouble in Math and are struggling like this. I took my oldest DD (now 17) out of the PS because of these same problems. Why am I doing things backwards so many years later? Is it because I'm older? Because I don't have just one child to worry about anymore?

She has no attention span, doesn't retain information, she is in a daze most of the time. If I'm explaining something to her or asking her a question with regard to her math, she is looking into the air and just calls out answers that make no sense whatsoever. I. Just. Don't. Know. What. To. Do. Anymore! It is so frustrating that I jut want to pull my hair out piece by piece.

Edited by parias1126

:grouphug: To me it sounds like there is some issue getting in your dd's way. Getting her tested is a great step. My dd10 has ADHD, which made math particularly troublesome. She started medication last month and it has helped her SO much. I started her with MM1A (pages here and there, skipping most of the review once I'm sure she understands). We are in MM 2B now and her understanding has greatly improved. I think MM works best when a child starts with 1A. It's very different from CLE (my dd8 uses CLE) and there is a bit of a learning curve for some children.

I hope you are able to better understand how to help your dd. I'm sure you're doing the best you can, mama. :grouphug:

What about moving more to a "living math" approach and having fun with math? Don't even call it math. Read some articles and check out some of the recommended books at livingmath.net. It could help to just relax about it for awhile and play with math.

I'm sure you're not interested in spending more money.... but things like Math on the Level or much less expensive Kitchen Table math take a more natural approach to learning math without textbooks and pressure.

Whatever happens, I hope you can find the answers that are right for you and your daughter.

:grouphug:

I know how frustrating it feels when a kid doesn't "get it" and you're trying really hard. I really feel for you, and it must be hard to figure out the right path to take. One idea is to just use the school system to get what the issues are nailed down and identified, then take her back out and do the work at home. That's totally not giving up on your kid. Even if you decide later in the game that the school system has the better resources for her, that's still not giving up -- that's making a smart decision based on her needs.

One thing that came up for me when I read your description of her behavior is that that's exactly how a friend of mine describes his body's reactions to gluten. I thought I'd put it out there, just in case it's a useful avenue of exploration.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. I know it can be frustrating. Hopefully after you have her tested you will have a better idea of what is going on. I know you have already received alot of good suggestions but I thought of one more to offer. You can print out Ray's Arithmetic for free off of googlebooks.com. You can just do these out loud with ds slowly and see if that helps. If not just continue to play games with her and try not to worry. Thee really isn't mush else you can do until you find out what is going on. I will pray for you and your ds!:grouphug:

She has no attention span, doesn't retain information, she is in a daze most of the time. If I'm explaining something to her or asking her a question with regard to her math, she is looking into the air and just calls out answers that make no sense whatsoever.

:grouphug:

It sounds like it's time for an evaluation.