Menu

Extra bananas, what do you do with them?

We always have extra bananas b/c they get over-ripe so fast and the kids won't eat the ones with brown spots on them. :glare: I peel them, break them in half and put them in ziploc freezer bags (the small ones..sandwich size). 2 bananas usually fit when broken in half. We use them for smoothies! Try 1 banana, 1 cup milk and 1 cup pineapple juice for a sweet treat! Add some flax seed or protein powder for extra protein. Our favorite is strawberry-banana smoothies...just add some fresh or frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana, some plain or vanilla yogurt, honey (as much as you want to sweeten to your taste)...yum, yum! If it's too thick, we add some milk to it. Anyway, lots to do with frozen bananas!

We always have extra bananas b/c they get over-ripe so fast and the kids won't eat the ones with brown spots on them. :glare: I peel them, break them in half and put them in ziploc freezer bags (the small ones..sandwich size). 2 bananas usually fit when broken in half. We use them for smoothies! Try 1 banana, 1 cup milk and 1 cup pineapple juice for a sweet treat! Add some flax seed or protein powder for extra protein. Our favorite is strawberry-banana smoothies...just add some fresh or frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana, some plain or vanilla yogurt, honey (as much as you want to sweeten to your taste)...yum, yum! If it's too thick, we add some milk to it. Anyway, lots to do with frozen bananas!

:iagree: We also freeze them for smoothies.

I peel and chop them into chunks and freeze them in a bag. Then use them for smoothies or banana icecream. They dont seem to go brown and are fine for quite a while.

Green SMoothie: handful of frozen banana, some frozen berries, handful of dark lettuce or baby spinach, some water. Blend. Yum.

Banana Choc ice cream- blend frozen bananas with raw cacao powder- instant ice cream. Can also add berries.

I leave them on the counter until they are pretty ripe then peel them and put them in ziploc bags in the freezer. I usually do 3-4 per bag (either sandwich or quart size). This is the perfect amount for a loaf of banana bread. I try to always have a few bags of banans in the frezer fro this reason. I use the recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but substitute agave nectar for the sugar and olive oil for the vegetable oil. I also use at least double the cinamon called for.

Thank you so much for your ideas! I didn't know bananas freeze well. I love smoothies in the morning.

Peela, I didn't know you can do banana chocolate ice-cream like that. I have to try that some time.

I like banana bread too. That's how I usually use my ripe banana.

Pull me in the camp of peel'em and freeze'em! I use them for smoothies, mostly, but will put aside a few for banana quick breads occasionally.

My favorite..Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana smoothie. I used to live on these when I was working at a bookstore in a mall..(probably why I gained those 2 years lol)

2. 1-2 C of ice – depending on how you like it. I prefer this with little ice chunks in it, you can leave this part out if you’d like
  3. 1 C Peanut Butter
  4. 2-3 Frozen, very ripe bananas
  5. Milk til about 1/2 full (then adjust for your thickness quotient)
  6. 1/4 C Ovaltine
  7. 1 C Fresh Spinach Leaves
  8. shot of honey

I also toss in flax or chai seed, protein powders, etc.

Pull me in the camp of peel'em and freeze'em! I use them for smoothies, mostly, but will put aside a few for banana quick breads occasionally.

My favorite..Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana smoothie. I used to live on these when I was working at a bookstore in a mall..(probably why I gained those 2 years lol)

1. 1-2 C of ice – depending on how you like it. I prefer this with little ice chunks in it, you can leave this part out if you’d like

2. 1 C Peanut Butter

3. 2-3 Frozen, very ripe bananas

4. Milk til about 1/2 full (then adjust for your thickness quotient)

5. 1/4 C Ovaltine

6. 1 C Fresh Spinach Leaves

7. shot of honey

I also toss in flax or chai seed, protein powders, etc.

Oh, my DS is going to love you for this recipe. :drool5: Gosh, I just happen to have some frozen bananas in the freezer right now! :leaving:

I like to freeze them whole in the skins, then thaw them when I'm ready to make banana bread or muffins. My dad would say that you simply *must* make banana pudding if you have an extremely ripe banana:001_smile:

Yep, this is what I do! When you freeze them and then thaw them they're all super mushy and make the BEST banana bread.

I always have extra bananas that I cannot eat fast enough. What do you do with them? Can you freeze them? How? Do you have a favorite recipe for ripe bananas?

You could send them to my house. I can't even keep them long enough to get fully ripe, the kids and dh inhale them. Apparently my house is full of serious banana junkies.

If I want to make banana bread or anything like that, I have to buy extra bunches and hide them (and sometimes they STILL find them and eat them!).

So my answer is...extra banana? What's that? :lol:

We freeze them whole and unpeeled, then use them in "chocolate ice cream". Peeled frozen banana, a bit of milk (or cream), lots of cocoa powder, and vanilla. We usually can't even taste the banana! No additional sugar (unless we add cookie dough or candy crumbles), so it makes a great snack for the little guys. Timely thread, since bananas are 0.19/lb on sale this week!

I quarter them and then freeze them. If they're whole, we'd have to let them thaw before running them in smoothies and we like our smoothies thick and frozen.

We do strawberry smoothies:

3 quartered, frozen bananas

1 cup plain yogurt

1/3 cup sugar

1 bag of frozen strawberries

I'm not sure this would work in a blender. We use a food processor.

The measurements are very inexact.

If there's any left over, we freeze that too and someone eats it later as a frozen treat.

We love banana pancakes! We just use Bisquick Mix and add two mashed bananas to whatever else it says, maybe a splash extra milk if it seems too thick.

The kids like "banana caterpillars" for a healthy snack- cut up the banana into big chunks and "glue" them together with peanut butter. Use dabs of peanut butter to put two raisin eyes at the head, and use pretzels ticks for antennae.

They are good in ice cream sundaes for dessert, or on top of shortcakes topped with sliced banana and cool whip topping.

You could also make fruit shakes or smoothies.

Banana bread. Sometimes I freeze them in the skin, sometimes I peel them before freezing. It just depends on how ripe they are. If I'm in a hurry, I just toss them in the freezer as is. This is my new favorite banana bread recipe. We don't like nuts in our banana bread, but I'm sure you could add them to this recipe.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/

I never thought about smoothies. I might try it, but it seems like the flavor would be very banana-y. The more ripe they are, the stronger the flavor.

We always have extra bananas. It seems no matter how many or how few I buy, there is a point when everyone stops eating them. I swear I could buy ONE banana and no one would eat it. When I mentioned it to dh, he said maybe they're subconsciously hoping for banana bread. :D

We freeze ours all the time. We make banana bread, muffins, pancakes and use them in smoothies. We just put them in skins and all. They seem to brown up less if they are stored for a while. For smoothies, I let them thaw enough for the skins to thaw, but the inside is still firm. That way, I just cut a slit down the skin, push the skin to the side and cut them up.