Menu

Teaching company lectures for ancients: recommendations please?!

Now that I figured out how to search my library's on-line catalog for these lectures, I found that our library system carries 444 titles!

So, I need some recommendations for ancient history/literature. What would you say are the must see/hear lectures? We will be studying ancient Greece and Rome this semester.

I've watched lectures by these professors and thought they were very good. (I am a self-educator who never learned any history, so I have nothing to compare them to.) You can check out the TC website to see which of their courses would meet your needs.

J. Rufus Fears

Kenneth W. Harl

Elizabeth Vandiver

Thomas F. X. Noble

Best wishes.

I really enjoy Elizabeth Vandiver. Her lectures are useful if you are trying to read mythology or Homer. She not only knows the stories inside & out, but she knows the various source books and what effect different specific authors have on our views of the past, etc. I haven't used them with a student yet, though. (I plan to when we get to Homer.)

Another thing about Vandiver: There have been a few TTC lecturers whom I felt were at least briefly or vaguely disrespectful towards folks they didn't agree with (i.e. some Christian beliefs). I never get that feeling from Vandiver, even though she's teaching a subject that could be ripe for that. I would value that kind of teacher, no matter what my personal beliefs.

Julie

Another thing about Vandiver: There have been a few TTC lecturers whom I felt were at least briefly or vaguely disrespectful towards folks they didn't agree with (i.e. some Christian beliefs). I never get that feeling from Vandiver, even though she's teaching a subject that could be ripe for that. I would value that kind of teacher, no matter what my personal beliefs.

Julie

Thank you--this is helpful information.

We love Elizabeth Vandiver.

We have used her lectures for the Iliad and the Odyssey, are currently listening to her lectures on Classical Mythology and will use the Aeneid lectures as soon as DD has finished reading the book.

We plan to round out our year with the Mythology and Aeneid lectures, too. We haven't yet used any of her courses, but they come so highly recommended everywhere I look that we ordered two! :001_smile:

We plan to round out our year with the Mythology and Aeneid lectures, too. We haven't yet used any of her courses, but they come so highly recommended everywhere I look that we ordered two! :001_smile:

And they really appeal to different levels.

I got them to use for DD 13 for highschool. She is a serious student and read the epics.

DS11 wants to listen to them, too, because he is familiar with (logic stage) retellings of the epics and myths.

DH likes to listen as well (and takes them if he has to drive long distances in the car); he remembers some childhood readings of retellings but has no background in classics.

Prof. Vandiver manages to keep students of very different backgrounds engaged, something I am very impressed with because I know how hard that is.

I really enjoy Elizabeth Vandiver. Her lectures are useful if you are trying to read mythology or Homer. She not only knows the stories inside & out, but she knows the various source books and what effect different specific authors have on our views of the past, etc. I haven't used them with a student yet, though. (I plan to when we get to Homer.)

Julie

One suggestion for using Vandiver's lectures, if the Iliad or the Odyssey are surprise material for your students (they were for mine), then allow them to finish reading the work before beginning the lectures. I used organizer and activities for dd to sort the material and characters while she was reading. Now she is watching the lectures and utilizing the time to formulate her paper. She has also started on the next work to read.

One suggestion for using Vandiver's lectures, if the Iliad or the Odyssey are surprise material for your students (they were for mine), then allow them to finish reading the work before beginning the lectures. I used organizer and activities for dd to sort the material and characters while she was reading. Now she is watching the lectures and utilizing the time to formulate her paper. She has also started on the next work to read.

Oh, interesting, I was thinking of having my ds watch some lectures as a "warm up" to get him into thinking more about them. But maybe the reverse would be more productive?

He's familiar with the stories, from The Children's Homer as well as the Sutcliff versions. But the "real thing" is going to be a bit of a culture shock for him. Although, he's "warmed up" by reading Bulfinch's mythology already, which is a heavy read for him but does touch on the stories.

Did you use a specific "organizer and activities"? I haven't checked to see what MFW has lined up to help, but I'm always interested in trying different things to draw in my non-reader of a ds.

Julie

Oh, interesting, I was thinking of having my ds watch some lectures as a "warm up" to get him into thinking more about them. But maybe the reverse would be more productive?

I personally find it better to have read at least part before using the lectures - just so you know what she is actually talking about. She does a great job in summarizing relevant parts of the plot, but I feel it always takes away from the experience if you encounter somebody else's interpretation and thoughts BEFORE you had a chance to read the book and formulate your own independent thoughts.

Just one example: when reading the Iliad, today's student will most likely be puzzled about Achilles' pouting behavior and will wonder why the slave girl is such a big deal... having done the wondering and thinking and THEN hearing the explanation gave that lightbulb moment "so THAT was it!". I found that our initial thoughts from OUR cultural point of view helped us gain a better perspective of just how different that culture was - instead of being told and just accepting at face value.

Does that make sense?

If your DS does not like to read, what about an audio CD?