Menu

Getting out of schedule

ClassicalTwins

It depends. Sometimes I just have us do school on Saturday, especially if we took a fun or project day. For Latin, we generally double up and do work orally. Math - I'll look at the two days and we do the problems most relevant to whichever son. SWR - I can adapt it easily to a 3 day week. And somethings get skipped - especially programs with a lot of review (KISS Grammar). I have every 6th week with very light work - we can use it to catch up (or move it, as I did this month).

HTH! Remember you can SKIP a day's work - kids in regular school who are sick either skip the work, have homework or get a brief overview outside class.

Amy

We usually just pick up where we left off. I'm not married to a 36 week school year as we school year round. I only plan 6 weeks at a time on paper so I can easily adjust if needed. I have a habit of highlighting everything we got done in my plan books and circling anything that needs to be moved to the next day. In history or science I may combine things to pick up what we missed... or depending on the topic we may just skip it.

Well, our curriculum and schedule don't have a lot of "busy work"- for 5th grade we can finish our curriculum stuff within 2-3 hours.

So if we miss a day for some reason, it's pretty easy to spread that day's stuff out over the rest of the week without adding on a ton of time to our other days. Occasionally, we might work on a weekend. Sometimes we don't get to a particular activity or exercise and it gets tacked on to the following week's schedule. It all works itself out.

For me it depends on what we miss. I did the filing system this summer so I don't paper plan until the Sunday night before our week starts. I pull out that week's folder and go through it to make my paper plan. If I know the week is going to be hectic, I see if there are some things I could leave off or double up on a day or two. I try to do everything, but I'm not going to fret if I cross out several review problems on 2 math lessons to make the 2 doable in one day. I have also done some school work in the evenings or weekends to make up, too.

I do my lesson plans 2 weeks at a time because things are always changing around here. I work and school as well as run extracurricular activities for them so sometimes i am just too tired to get to everything. doing it 2 weeks at a time in pencil helps me stay focused without getting frazzled about getting "behind" in our work. especially since we are moving at their respective paces.