Menu

Double doors on businesses, but one is locked!

It drives me crazy when I'm entering or leaving a business that has double doors and one of the set is locked. I often end up practically smashing myself into the door! :lol:

Why do these businesses not unlock *both* doors? I have to know that there's a logical reason behind this!

I always assumed stores with larger items (furniture stores and the like) do it so it is harder, if not impossible to steal.

Maybe it is a stupid idea, but always worked for me :lol:

When clothing stores do it, it drives me bonkers!

It drives me crazy when I'm entering or leaving a business that has double doors and one of the set is locked. I often end up practically smashing myself into the door! :lol:

Why do these businesses not unlock *both* doors? I have to know that there's a logical reason behind this!

I have a business with double doors. They are impossible to lock from the inside due to fire code (not that I would...)

You want to hear something really embarrassing? I'm only 5'2". One day at OfficeMax I paid for my items and was putting my debit card and stuff away while walking out the automatic door. Their sensor was apparently set too high because it didn't open for me AT ALL and I walked straight into it!!

I always assumed stores with larger items (furniture stores and the like) do it so it is harder, if not impossible to steal.

Maybe it is a stupid idea, but always worked for me :lol:

When clothing stores do it, it drives me bonkers!

Well, that's a plausible idea! Today's incident involved a building where my ds takes a class. No reason I can see for not leaving them both unlocked. Same w/my dentist's office. I hate to ask, but I'm just gonna have to!

Ouch, Mrs. Mungo! On your pride AND your body!

When my Dad still had his printing shop, we always kept one of the doors locked for the wind. The location was just at the right spot, especially during spring in TX here when it's just really windy all the time, and they'd constantly be opening and shutting, sometimes slammed open, by the wind. My mom sat at the front desk and it would drive her bonkers.

In convienience stores it's because of theft. I used to work at one and and they always kept one door locked because it was harder to hide beer under your coat and get out of the unlocked door. I don't know how much it really helps, but those stores have terrible issues with theft, especially underage kids stealing beer, so if it helps a little, then that's a good thing.

Where I live, it is done because of the wind. If both doors are unlocked, the doors are constantly moving and dirt blows in. I agree that it is annoying and sometimes painful, though (thanks for the bruise, McDonald's!:glare:)

When I worked in retail we sometimes did this for warmth. When both doors opened to much cold air came in and we would freeze :001_smile:

Thanks for the added replies! I totally understand about the theft, wind, and cold.

So then the question becomes...why can't they put a sign on the locked door saying to use the other one?!

Because trust me, no one will read the sign! I use to work in a physician's office and we had signs up on doors such as "Patient Area, No Entry"... of course, everyone would just walk right on through. We also had the double doors out our department and kept one locked, a combination of the wind and the ramp going out that way made that door very hard to manipulate so it was just much easier to keep it locked.

I just went to my Dr's office and asked. I told her that there is an online discussion about it and I've always wondered. She said that it is VERY hard to unlock the other door, so they just don't.

Then she said,"I guess you'll win the prize for having the answer!"

I guess she thought it was a contest, not just a regular discussion.

So, what did I win? One rubber band? Two staples? A Mike's Hard Lemonade? :tongue_smilie:

I just went to my Dr's office and asked. I told her that there is an online discussion about it and I've always wondered. She said that it is VERY hard to unlock the other door, so they just don't.

So, what did I win? One rubber band? Two staples? A Mike's Hard Lemonade? :tongue_smilie:

There was a Mike's on the line? If I'd known that I'd have started to make some calls!!!

:lol: I have a whole bunch of dryer lint just waiting to be claimed!! First one in my driveway WINS! :auto: ;)

Thanks for asking--that seems like an odd reason! I never would have thought it would be harder to unlock than any other door.

Oh, my, I HATE this. It seems that every store I enter has one side locked... always the one I'm trying to exit through.

Thanks for the added replies! I totally understand about the theft, wind, and cold.

So then the question becomes...why can't they put a sign on the locked door saying to use the other one?!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Because trust me, no one will read the sign! I use to work in a physician's office and we had signs up on doors such as "Patient Area, No Entry"... of course, everyone would just walk right on through. We also had the double doors out our department and kept one locked, a combination of the wind and the ramp going out that way made that door very hard to manipulate so it was just much easier to keep it locked.

That's sad. *I* would read it.

Here are two options. Maybe I'll suggest them the next time I walk into a door:

A. Place something in FRONT of the locked door. If being locked is a fire hazard anyway, there is nothing wrong with this. Something light, like a fake tree, but just *something* so that I can tell the door isn't in use.

B. Personally, I think this one is my favorite. Since all the doors I seem to have trouble with are the ones EXITING the store... why not leave the door going IN locked? Those are usually 'pull' doors, so people won't smash into them the way they (I) do trying to go out through a 'push' door. I may just suggest that in the future, as this *really*, *really* bothers me!