Menu

Saxon Math and Geometry

Thanksnpraises

My daughter is in 8th grade and using Saxon's Algebra 1/2. I was going to start Algebra I in 9th grade. I was reading WTM and now I'm worried that if we continue with Saxon's schedule, my daughter will not have complete geometry instruction in time to begin SAT/ACT testing in 10th or 11th grade. I believe the book suggested doing MUS geometry over the summer before 10th grade (or something like that).

I was later told that Algebra 8/7 is very similar to Algebra 1/2 so, I could have had my daughter go on to Algebra I for 8th grade, but that's water under the bridge now and personally, I think an extra year of reinforcement would be helpful for my daughter.

QUestion: How should I handle geometry? Had it in during the school year; do it over the summer? What curriculum is good for geometry? I was good in geometry in high school 29 years ago, but not so great in algebra, so I'm gun-shy about cutting her algebra instruction.

Please help!!

I'm in the same situation - my 13yods is doing Saxon 1/2 as an eighth grader. I'm planning on just doing the regular Saxon sequence with him in high school. My oldest was doing Algebra II last year as a Jr. and he did decent on the ACT so I've just decided that I'm not going to worry about it. If I feel like it's a problem, we'll probably work through a summer somewhere along the line and move a bit farther ahead in the sequence that way.

My daughter is in 8th grade and using Saxon's Algebra 1/2. I was going to start Algebra I in 9th grade. I was reading WTM and now I'm worried that if we continue with Saxon's schedule, my daughter will not have complete geometry instruction in time to begin SAT/ACT testing in 10th or 11th grade. I believe the book suggested doing MUS geometry over the summer before 10th grade (or something like that).

I was later told that Algebra 8/7 is very similar to Algebra 1/2 so, I could have had my daughter go on to Algebra I for 8th grade, but that's water under the bridge now and personally, I think an extra year of reinforcement would be helpful for my daughter.

QUestion: How should I handle geometry? Had it in during the school year; do it over the summer? What curriculum is good for geometry? I was good in geometry in high school 29 years ago, but not so great in algebra, so I'm gun-shy about cutting her algebra instruction.

Please help!!

Not sure what your issue is with Math 87 and Alg. 1/2. Dc are not supposed to do both; after finishing either one, the next book is Alg. 1.

Saxon is fine for geometry. Thousands, if not millions, of students have done Saxon Alg. 1 and 2 and done just fine on the SAT/ACT. Wtih Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and Advanced Math through about lesson 50 (75? I'd have to go look it up) there is a complete year of algebra. There's no need to do an algebra from a different publisher.

Maybe I'm just making much ado about nothing. I'm OK with Saxon in general and especially for algebra. I'm just concerned about geometry, i.e., will dd have enough geometry to do well on standardized testing if we follow the sequence we are on in Saxon. The WTM book (I have an older edition...the 2nd I think.) recommends using some other curriculum for geometry (like MUS other summer) and squeezing it in somewhere.

Just wondering :001_smile: