Menu

study habits

Guest ISOwisdom

Guest ISOwisdom

Hello! I'm new to the forum: mom to DS who is 7 and in grade 2 (ps) and DD who is 4 and in pre-K. I've sought out afterschooling because my son isn't being challenged in school. More on that later...

Although my son is young, I'm worried about him developing strong study habits, which seems especially challenging when his homework is so easy for him. I also was a strong student, and I didn't need to put forth a lot of effort until college—I still wish I'd had the opportunity to learn to study when I was younger.

What are your thoughts and experiences on studying? What exercises do you do with your kids?

Many thanks!

I was never challenged in school and did not develope study habits till college. My kids were not challenged in school either and did not develop any - until I pulled them out: now they have to work on a level that is challenging for them and study habits are a necessity.

I don't think one can truly learn to study if the material does not make studying necessary. Not until something HARD comes along can studying be learned - anything the kids does with 'easy" stuff is just going through the motions and not helpful. Reviewing understood and retained material, for instance, does not teach the skills necessary for reviewing complex material. Reading a textbook you understand immediately does nothing to prepare for an encounter with a textbook that at first makes no sense.

So, bring on, or wait for, the challenge.

Hello! I'm new to the forum: mom to DS who is 7 and in grade 2 (ps) and DD who is 4 and in pre-K. I've sought out afterschooling because my son isn't being challenged in school. More on that later...

Although my son is young, I'm worried about him developing strong study habits, which seems especially challenging when his homework is so easy for him. I also was a strong student, and I didn't need to put forth a lot of effort until college—I still wish I'd had the opportunity to learn to study when I was younger.

What are your thoughts and experiences on studying? What exercises do you do with your kids?

Many thanks!

Like yours, my youngest son, now in 8th grade, was not challenged in school, so I supplemented using material from various sources. What helped me most: good resources, writing down goals/schedules and allowing for tweaks and changes.

High school is a whole different ballgame. Ours offers many different courses and is as challenging as a student wants it to be. The only afterschooling he'll do is Art of Problem Solving (AoPS), but that's because he wants to do it.

HTH. :)