Menu

Reading WordsPerMinute chart?

I am trying to look up on internet about average grade level and their WPM reading. So many different answers!

WEll anyways, i wanted to see where my DS5 is reading wise. We are doing middle of 1st grade reading books with him. And today's book had a test sheet where he reads and i time it and it shows his speed.

He did 113 words per min. I cant find the standard chart thought...

111 wpm is at the 90th percentile for 1st graders in the spring. This is from the 2006 Hasbrouk and Tindal Oral Reading Fluency Data sheet. So he is somewhere above the 90th percentile for 1st graders.

You have to use the 1st grade data (as opposed to the 4th grade data, which says that 112 wpm is at the 50th percentile for 4th graders at midyear) because he is reading 1st grade material.

ETA: Here's a link: http://www.readnaturally.com/pdf/oralreadingfluency.pdf

Wouldn't it depend a lot on the WORDS? I mean, "cat sat on mat" gets a lot more words per minute in than a more complex book. How does WPM make sense?

I'm Confused.

I agree...

well his text was like this:

Animals live all around us.

Most animals live outside.

Birds are easy to see.

Spiders and bugs and bees are all around.

Some animals are hard to see.

Its hard to find an owl.

Owls sleep during the day.

They do not wake until night.

You have to look extra hard to see a chameleon.

They are a kind of lizard.

and so on...

Wouldn't it depend a lot on the WORDS? I mean, "cat sat on mat" gets a lot more words per minute in than a more complex book. How does WPM make sense?

I'm Confused.

You're right, it doesn't make complete sense. The charts are showing data for kids of the correct age for grade who are reading leveled material (so the 1st graders are reading 1st grade level material). It is incorrect to infer that the OP's child has the reading fluency of a 4th grade child based on the chart I linked to because he wasn't reading 4th grade material. Very likely he is at the 99th percentile for his age for reading fluency, but it is impossible to tell from the chart.

so this doesn't take comprehensive into account?? How do u evaluate what is the overall reading level? DS who is 6 yrs old reads lion/witch/wardrobe currently which rated 6.1 RL on the scholastic website. I timed him and he can read about 180/min but with the speed, he is not comprehending. I have to remind him to slow down to understand the story. So is this fluency test is with or without understanding story??