Menu

MFW CTG or TOG

AmyinMD

I'm looking ahead to next year and we are planning to do Ancient History. That messes up our 4 year rotation but we should have done Ancient History this year. I decided to do American incase dd goes to school next year and she hasn't had a lot of American history and the public school does Ancient History for 6th so I didn't want her to have Ancients 2 years in a row. I think she is likely staying home at this point. Dd really wants to do Ancient History and wants to do something with Mythology next year.

I really like MFW. We are doing Exp to 1850 and it's my favorite history program we've ever done. It's getting done although we are kind of behind to finish by the end of May but we started at the end of October. I like the look of CTG but I don't like that it uses Streams of Civilization. I had looked at it at a curriculum fair last year and thought it looked so dry and more advanced than SOTW 1. I'll also be adding my twins to the history sequence in the fall and they will be a young 2nd grade for fall. I think a lot of CTG will be over their heads. They are almost done with MFW K and I'm hoping to be through MFW 1 by fall. If they were my oldest at home I'd just do Adventures. I really like that they would have books more on their level if we did TOG. I really like a lot about TOG but it does sound like it would be a lot of prep on my part. I wish CTG used SOTW 1 because I was thinking of doing that with the younger kids and do CTG with any older kids at home. I don't know how much of a challenge that would be though.

I don't see any books for CTG that deal with Mythology unless they are in the book basket. Mythology is dd's main reason for wanting to do Ancients so badly next year so I'd like to accommodate that.

Well, I have done TOG and MFW. I would just go through SOTW and put that in rather than the Streams (although, Streams really was fine for us). I would add some Mythology to the mix for your daughter. I personally would be careful about my little kid's ears when it comes to that sort of thing because they can not really tell myth from real and I would not want to muddy thier worldview waters.

If you are enjoying the put togetherness of MFW and are worried about TOG being a lot then it may be a problem. It was for me! I seem to have less hours in my day then people who can do TOG! It is kind of a lot. At first it did not seem too bad but you have to plan every quarter or nothing happens. That made me tired. Anyway, I hope that helps you from a persective of someone who has done both.

Hi, Amy,

I have used TOG Y1 (somewhat, anyway) and I actually wish I had used MFW CTG now, as I really like how MFW integrates the Bible in with their history studies so well.

But in your situation, it sounds like MFW's 1850 to Mod. would be ideal, since you just did MFW Exp. to 1850 and you loved it so much. And I don't know, but is Adventures better suited to match Exp. to 1850 or 1850 to Mod.? Anyway, it sounds like you could have fun with your little ones doing some Am. History at their level.

Maybe you could just get a copy of D'Aulaire's Greek Myths to read on the side and encourage her that it'll be coming to the Ancients before she knows it!

Anyway, I found out that I like MFW's style better than TOG's style (for me) as I just get overwhelmed with all that info in TOG. And you had a wonderful year, so I would just keep that ball rolling (it would also be much easier for you to stick with a program that you know and has a well-laid out schedule to follow, in light of how busy you are with teaching little ones to read, etc.)

:grouphug:,

Brenda

Hi, Amy,

I have used TOG Y1 (somewhat, anyway) and I actually wish I had used MFW CTG now, as I really like how MFW integrates the Bible in with their history studies so well.

But in your situation, it sounds like MFW's 1850 to Mod. would be ideal, since you just did MFW Exp. to 1850 and you loved it so much. And I don't know, but is Adventures better suited to match Exp. to 1850 or 1850 to Mod.? Anyway, it sounds like you could have fun with your little ones doing some Am. History at their level.

Maybe you could just get a copy of D'Aulaire's Greek Myths to read on the side and encourage her that it'll be coming to the Ancients before she knows it!

Anyway, I found out that I like MFW's style better than TOG's style (for me) as I just get overwhelmed with all that info in TOG. And you had a wonderful year, so I would just keep that ball rolling (it would also be much easier for you to stick with a program that you know and has a well-laid out schedule to follow, in light of how busy you are with teaching little ones to read, etc.)

Brenda

You are back to MFW? LOL! I feel behind the times. :D

Honestly if you like MFW then it sounds like what Brenda suggests would be best. I used TOG because I tweak everything...including TOG. ;) TOG gives me a lot of stuff to play with, and there is a lot I ignore. I simply can't be nailed down to someone else's schedule. I rewrote Sonlight and Winter Promise too. :D

Heather

Hi, Heather!

I can't keep up with myself, never mind anyone else keeping up with me! :lol: I also cannot decide if I should just hold on to all my 3 years of TOG revised printed version or go ahead and sell them. The 3rd year is still all in original plastic in the original box! I really have only been using TOG has a glorified booklist and I think it is quite expensive to only use it that way. And SOTW has a good booklist, too, at a much cheaper price!!!

I am just finding out that at this stage in my life, I need whatever helps me to have an uncluttered brain, and the well-laid out MFW TM is what does that for me... along with the wonderful cohesiveness of the Bible and other subjects.

I noticed that even you, Heather, have actually been wondering aloud how and if TOG will work for you in the older years of your dc. You'll have to keep us posted! :bigear:

Brenda

I am just finding out that at this stage in my life, I need whatever helps me to have an uncluttered brain, and the well-laid out MFW TM is what does that for me... along with the wonderful cohesiveness of the Bible and other subjects.

I noticed that even you, Heather, have actually been wondering aloud how and if TOG will work for you in the older years of your dc. You'll have to keep us posted! :bigear:

Brenda

I want to do TOG, there just isn't enough hours in the day....

Heather

I don't see any books for CTG that deal with Mythology unless they are in the book basket. Mythology is dd's main reason for wanting to do Ancients so badly next year so I'd like to accommodate that.

did you see that CTG includes The Children's Homer. That has a lot of Greek myth and gods in it.

Then, there's the Trojan Horse reader.

Then, book basket has lots of suggestions.

but CTG isn't a focus in myths either so you might have to add more for your oldest child.

-crystal

Amy, CTG does deal with mythology... it's mostly in Book Basket, but also in a couple of other books that Crystal mentioned. My oldest also read the D'Aulaire's book in 6th or 7th grade, somewhere around there. That would be the Greek and Egyptian myths.... then some of the Roman myths are in the Ancient Rome portion of Rome to Reformation.

You could add SOTW 1 as independent reading for your oldest (like part of Book Basket) or as a read-aloud if you wanted to, or even get the CDs for listening to it. The thing *I* don't like about SOTW 1 is that there's no distinction between biblical truth and mythology since the author intended it to be "neutral". But if you (as your children's teacher and mom) can identify those differences when reading it to your children, that's an option. The MFW author in CTG and RTR, however, is careful to point out the biblical truth OFTEN, and to explain WHY we believe the Bible instead of these other myths.

I just got through mentioning in another thread the fact that MFW includes Ancient Rome (and its mythology) in RTR instead of lumping it with the "Ancients" year because Ancient Rome is really part of "church history". The fact that Caesar believed himself to be a god -- and that the Romans believed in many "little g gods" (as my girls put it) and you could believe in any god you wanted without persecution as long as it wasn't THE God who set himself up higher than Caesar -- is mentioned in the New Testament and was a fact that played out in the persecution of Christ and His followers. So Ancient Rome is really part of church history, IMO, and I think MFW got it right in how they separated the time periods.

Anyway, hope that helps provide clarification on where you find the mythology in MFW, and why. :001_smile: But yes, you DO have Egyptian and Greek mythology in CTG. (Remember that it's also in the Old Testament Bible itself, as God told His people over and over and over NOT to follow after other gods!) That's all part of CTG. It's the reason we memorize the 10 Commandments. It's the reason we learn the symbolism behind each element of the Jewish feasts. Many people don't realize that the better we know the Old Testament AND the Christ that it points to, the better we will understand the gods of the world and the myths surrounding them. ;)

Hi, Amy,

Brenda

This is good advice, too. Adventures is actually part of BOTH EX1850 and 1850MOD because Adventures is a one-year brief summary for younger kids, while EX1850 and 1850MOD are a more indepth two-year study. They include in the lesson plans separate assignments and books for younger kids doing the history part of Adventures. Even science covers many of the same topics. The main difference is that the Bible is different, but you could do the Names of Jesus study from the one-year Adventures program alongside, or at a separate time from, the two-year study.

Did I make any sense in how I said that? :001_huh: IOW, what I'm saying is that both Expl-1850 and 1850-Modern have supplemental books and assignments JUST for younger kids. There's also Book Basket. Are you getting books from Book Basket on level for the younger kids now? Are they participating at all? They could be. If not, let them jump into some of the readings and activities for the rest of the year... they'll love it!

Okay, just brainstorming here about future years....

I'm not sure what you're planning for high school, or if your 10yo is going to ps or staying home, but if she's staying home and you're following the 4-year chronological cycle in high school (maybe MFW?), she'll get the Ancients a lot more indepth at that level. So here's a thought.... assuming you stay with MFW.

What if you stayed on course chronologically from where you are right now. Then you'd be doing:

1850-Modern w/younger supplement -- 6th, the twins, and other littles as much as their attention span will allow. (Each child always does math and LA at their own level, so you could still do MFW 1st next year for the 3 R's.)

CTG -- 7th and 2nd graders, other littles can participate in Jewish feasts and Old Testament Bible readings, memorizing 10 Commandments, etc. (Don't worry, MFW doesn't schedule the "gruesome" parts of Old Testament at this level. You're just trying to get the Big Picture at this time and see how it all points to Christ.)

RTR -- 8th, 3rd, and I think 1st? graders by now. Other littles participating in Roman feasts, building bridges, New Testament Bible readings, listen in to read-alouds, some fun age-appropriate books from Book Basket, etc.

Then Voila! You will have done the complete 4-year history cycle before 2nd dd starts high school. :001_smile: At that point you could either start over again with the littles, or do a year of missions-based world geography & culture studies with ECC before starting at the beginning again.

Oh, I also wanted to mention about Streams.....

That book is used in both CTG and RTR. You don't read the whole book cover to cover. Yes, it's dry. If I had to depend on that book alone... GAG. I know the publisher schedules it for 9th grade at their school, so it's a high school level text. But remember that MFW is a multi-level unit study and uses many different resources for different purposes. So instead of buying a "Grammar level" program with all Grammar level books for a 7yo, and a separate "Logic level" course with all Logic level books for a 12yo.... or however you want to break down the elementary years.... you're buying ONE program with all the books needed for elementary and middle school ages. (MFW does separate out for Rhetoric level college-bound students, however.)

How Streams is used in MFW is that they just assign *excerpts* from it to fill in facts for older students doing the program. OR Mom can pre-read the passage and decide to either skip it, read it verbatim, or summarize it for HER kids. (This is called "individualizing a multi-level program for each child's learning level. ;) ) Occasionally you have a map to trace or copy from the book, or an illustration to show. Things like that. So it's a *resource* used for more information, not the main text. Someone who has an advanced 7th or 8th grader might even want to assign some of the comp questions and research projects at the end of each unit... so it adds more work for older students. Thus, I do recommend this book used in context of MFW lesson plans.... but I agree that by itself, it's pretty dull. :tongue_smilie:

I hate to see people turn away from an awesome program like MFW because of one or two books they don't like. :confused: If you like the program *overall*, then run with it and tweak as needed! You're the boss. :D