Menu

Eastern Orthodoxy thru Western Eyes...

Boy, I hear you. If intentionally bearing one another's burdens / living in community is a project of sorts (meaning, "this is what's distinctive about our group, in Christian circles") then I could see how it itself might become a burden. That would be hard; in fact we've been there too. Our family was part of a church start up about 10 years ago. Our "distinctive" was "age integrated fellowship." We had 7-8 families who met together for awhile. It was what we all longed for, we were all "likeminded" in this, but it become such a large burden itself that it fell apart. How do you bear someone's burden when the burden is the burden?! (Did that make any sense at all?)

ETA -- Now, in EO church, no one is really off doing their own thing, trying to get their own pet project going, etc. We don't have this kind of Christians meeting over here and that kind of Christian group meeting over there. We're all coming together within an ark that's already been afloat for 2000 years. Instead of pioneering something (which had been so exciting previously), we're just learning to move along with a boat that knows where its going and how best to get there.

Yes, the burden IS the burden. I get that. And the bolded is exactly why I'm searching. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I just want to hop on the wagon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any other books that detail the differences between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy? One that just says "Orthodox believe this, Catholics believe this" - evenhanded - without getting argumentative? I would be very interested in reading such a book, but, very honestly, I don't know how I would do if it's main purpose was to prove Catholicism wrong. I hope I said that alright; I would just like to know more so I can ponder it myself. I am very, very curious about Orthodoxy. Twice in my life when discussing faith, someone has said to me I sound like I'm Orthodox???? I'd like to know why since Catholicism is in my core.

I hesitate to post this booklet, because I remember our deacon once saying there was one that was written well and one that was written a bit condescendingly (of the two we were discussing). The one I linked is one I know I have had, and read, and sent to others, and I'm pretty sure I remember being relieved when he named the one over the other. Anyway, it IS written from an Orthodox perspective, so that's worth taking into consideration as well.

In one of these threads there was a link to a chart recently that I'll try to find, because it was a balanced perspective of EO, RC and Protestantism from a neutral perspective.

I got this at the library http://www.amazon.com/Catholicism-Orthodox-Christianity-World-Religions/dp/1604131063/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294364448&sr=1-11

It was very neutral, maybe a bit simplistic. I liked it, but I wouldn't buy it ;).

My library doesn't have it, but I'll keep it in mind.

I hesitate to post this booklet, because I remember our deacon once saying there was one that was written well and one that was written a bit condescendingly (of the two we were discussing). The one I linked is one I know I have had, and read, and sent to others, and I'm pretty sure I remember being relieved when he named the one over the other. Anyway, it IS written from an Orthodox perspective, so that's worth taking into consideration as well.

In one of these threads there was a link to a chart recently that I'll try to find, because it was a balanced perspective of EO, RC and Protestantism from a neutral perspective.

The booklet isn't much money so I might get it.

I was thinking I could get something from the Orthodox perspective, and then I would ask on a Catholic board for a book recommendation. Look at it from both sides. I really don't want to get into reading a religious debate - just don't think I could handle that right now.

We used to have an Orthodox family in our Catholic homeschool group. We never discussed specific theology, just general topics. Anyway, they have moved away, and I don't know any other Orthodox. This board seems the best place to ask.

Thank you.

I really like the Pulcini booklet linked above. It was what introduced me to Orthodoxy. It is written by an Orthodox convert, but it lays out the key differences in the beliefs between the two churches so you can compare them. I found it a great starting point.