Menu

How do you deal with distractions?

persephone43

We are now living with my sisters family and her other boys are at school but she has a 4 year old who is at home and wants to do school with us, then decides he doesnt, then he does again....and the tv is on in the other room pretty much all day. I know eventually this will normalize (I hope) but Im not sure how to handle it. We are incorporating the 4 yo into some of our school day but my son gets distracted by noise and movement easily, which was one of his problems in ps and Im afraid this is something we will just have to learn to deal with. Its a small house. Not sure what to do. Help?

I know it is probably an uncomfortable situation...but could you maybe try to work out a schedule with your sister? Like mornings are for school, everyone can have "quiet time" while your son is working? Is your sister there? She can keep her 4yo occupied while you are working with your son...maybe they can have the TV off during that time, or the 4yo can watch a movie with headphones?

Maybe you can find somewhere to go with your son a few hours a day...the library or somewhere quiet to do some one-on-one work?

I know it is hard with distractions, and it must be really hard when you aren't in your own place. Hope you can work something out.

That must be really hard.

I am also wondering if you can go to the local public library for the morning. I know that locally, there are a couple hs'ing families who are in the library every day.

Would it be possible to give the 4 year old headphones for the TV?

Can you do school in the bedroom?

Does the 4 year old take a nap? Is your sister at home with you, or are you watching the 4 year old for her?

If you're in charge of the 4 year old, the TV needs to go off.

If you're not in charge, and you're sharing the morning with your sister and her son, try doing school in the afternoon during nap time, or go elsewhere.

On the bright side, the year is almost over, is the 4 year old going to Kindergarten next year?:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

Does the 4 year old take a nap? Is your sister at home with you, or are you watching the 4 year old for her?

No, he does not take a nap and yes his mother is home. I think we may just try to get up earlier and get the things done that he really needs quiet for and then take library trips too. I feel bad because this is their home and they have a routine down and I dont want to be demanding and disrupt that. Maybe I'll just ask if before 11:00, it can be quiet time and try to do things after lunch that my nephew can participate in like story time and science projects.

I feel bad because this is their home and they have a routine down and I dont want to be demanding and disrupt that.

What is their routine? Are you using a space that nephew is normally in? If they really do have a set routine, that's great. You can schedule around it. But if they don't, you could try what I do with DD5. She is free to do the lesson with us as long as she is cooperative. If she cannot sit quietly, she has to go play in her room. (You can't tell him to go to his room, but hopefully you're not in "his space" and you can tell him he has to come back later.) Once DD5 decides she can't/won't be quiet, she may not come back for the duration of the lesson. I try not to present it as a punishment, but a choice. She is 5 so naturally, much of what we're doing is beyond her ability or maturity. So no big deal. If you want to stay, fine; if you want to go play, fine. When we start the next lesson/activity, DD has another opportunity to join us. I also try to do some one-on-one things with her while older DC are working independently.

I keep DC separate as much as I can because they find each other so interesting, hilarious, etc. :D. However, for some things they all need to be together, which is still a challenge for us after a year of homeschooling . So I feel your pain!!

I feel bad because this is their home and they have a routine down and I dont want to be demanding and disrupt that. Maybe I'll just ask if before 11:00, it can be quiet time and try to do things after lunch that my nephew can participate in like story time and science projects

:iagree:

Quite time before 11:00 sounds like a good idea. It is not a healthy routine to have the T.V. on all day long. You would be doing your nephew a favor by asking your sister to shut it off.

I know this because our ds 8 is a T.V. buff and we just have to say no! Otherwise he would not play with his toys, pretend play, read, etc.

Lisa

Edited by gevs4him

No, he does not take a nap and yes his mother is home. I think we may just try to get up earlier and get the things done that he really needs quiet for and then take library trips too. I feel bad because this is their home and they have a routine down and I dont want to be demanding and disrupt that. Maybe I'll just ask if before 11:00, it can be quiet time and try to do things after lunch that my nephew can participate in like story time and science projects.

That's so kind and understanding of you! When my kids were younger, I fell into the TV trap, and it was so hard to break. You're kind of doing your sister a favor if you encourage your nephew to watch less TV. Maybe find out what shows are his favorite and then work your schedule around that. If his favorite shows are all in the am, than the Library time could be in the morning, and your afternoon plan can proceed at home.

Is this just for this year, or indefinitely?

:grouphug:

Dorinda

I will be staying for about 3 years. Today is going much better after talking to my sister. We worked out a "quiet time" and we will just use the library if its too distracting or use my bedroom. I guess thats part of the beauty of homeschoolong...you can do it in any room of the house. :)

Thanks for the advice!