Menu

We are about to dive into RS C....

Honey Bee

IME, RS C was just as mom-intensive as RS B. We switched to Math Mammoth 3B at the end of RS C because my dd wanted something harder and something she could move through more at her own pace. I think RS lays an excellent foundation, but it stopped working for us.

Tara

It has been a little less teacher intensive for us because there are more worksheets that my ds can do independently and some solitaire games.

The only problem for us has been that it is not as challenging as level B.

I am just starting to look for a supplement to challenge him. I wish I had moved faster through C and maybe started D midyear or moved to MM.

FWIW, we loved, loved, loved RS B but C was just okay and I decided to switch my oldest to Singapore rather than continuing on with D.

The reasons for switching were:

• I wanted something easier to accelerate and/or up the challenge level. D & E especially seemed like they had too much review and not enough new material. It's like Dr. Cotter took a year's worth of material and stretched it out over 2 levels.
  • My DD had matured and was less of a "hands-on" learner than she was when she started B. She got to the point where she'd groan when she saw me pull out the manipulatives and would ask couldn't I please just show her how to do it with pencil & paper?
  • I knew my DS was coming along and I wanted to use RS A with him. Doing 2 different levels of RS would take more time than I want to spend teaching math. Singapore is much less parent-intensive.
  • I was going to need to switch to something after E and I felt that it would be easier to make the jump to Singapore at 3A rather than later.

IME, RS C was just as mom-intensive as RS B. We switched to Math Mammoth 3B at the end of RS C because my dd wanted something harder and something she could move through more at her own pace. I think RS lays an excellent foundation, but it stopped working for us.

Tara

:tongue_smilie: Wishing it weren't true!

It has been a little less teacher intensive for us because there are more worksheets that my ds can do independently and some solitaire games.

The only problem for us has been that it is not as challenging as level B.

I am just starting to look for a supplement to challenge him. I wish I had moved faster through C and maybe started D midyear or moved to MM.

I wonder where I would start if he moved into MM after B?

FWIW, we loved, loved, loved RS B but C was just okay and I decided to switch my oldest to Singapore rather than continuing on with D.

The reasons for switching were:

• I wanted something easier to accelerate and/or up the challenge level. D & E especially seemed like they had too much review and not enough new material. It's like Dr. Cotter took a year's worth of material and stretched it out over 2 levels.

• My DD had matured and was less of a "hands-on" learner than she was when she started B. She got to the point where she'd groan when she saw me pull out the manipulatives and would ask couldn't I please just show her how to do it with pencil & paper?

• I knew my DS was coming along and I wanted to use RS A with him. Doing 2 different levels of RS would take more time than I want to spend teaching math. Singapore is much less parent-intensive.

• I was going to need to switch to something after E and I felt that it would be easier to make the jump to Singapore at 3A rather than later.

Thanks so much for these reasons, I'm just *a little bit* hesitant to move forward with it. I really do love RS and hope it continues to work for us. I can see how it stopped for your family. RS B is a strange entry point for switching because you have barely covered subtraction, while singapore and MM have covered it equally with addition. Do you know if Singapore 2A be a good starting point for a student finished with RS B?

:

Thanks so much for these reasons, I'm just *a little bit* hesitant to move forward with it. I really do love RS and hope it continues to work for us. I can see how it stopped for your family. RS B is a strange entry point for switching because you have barely covered subtraction, while singapore and MM have covered it equally with addition. Do you know if Singapore 2A be a good starting point for a student finished with RS B?

I went to C for the same reason! Because subtractions was barely covered in B, it made it hard to use supplemental workbooks during B too.

I like C... I just wish it were more challenging and moved as quickly as B

RS B is a strange entry point for switching because you have barely covered subtraction, while singapore and MM have covered it equally with addition. Do you know if Singapore 2A be a good starting point for a student finished with RS B?

I haven't used Singapore 2A so I'm not sure whether it would be a good starting point after RS B. SM is a "soft spiral" program so there is a certain amount of review at the beginning of each grade. I think you'd probably want to drill the subtraction facts up to 20 prior to starting 2A at the very least.

It seems as though we may be the exception in this thread, but we're actually very happy with RS C. In fact, I had planned on supplementing w/Singapore, but we just haven't needed to yet. That said, my little man does practice his skip counting (that we do in our CC Foundations class) during every warm-up... #s 1-15, squares, & cubes, a preface to multiplication if you will. IOE, incorporating work with the practice sheets in our daily lessons immediately after the warm-up (as suggested in Lesson 6) has been sufficient rote practice/review.

All this is to say that the pace and challenge of RS C, with the above combined (daily practice sheets and skip counting), has produced excellent results for us thus far. I'll most likely supplement w/Singapore over our summer break, after we finish RS C.

IME, RS C was just as mom-intensive as RS B.

:iagree: But with the exception of the practice sheets and worksheets that are done independently.

Admittedly, I do have a one and only, so I'm able to spend as much time as needed w/my little man to play games and such, verses someone w/multiple kids to teach, IYKWIM.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa

I would like to lower the time with my kids, but honestly? It isn't happening. It is taking me just as long to "teach" Lial's BCM as it did RS E. I don't see this changing, ever, till they graduate.

BTW with one in Geometry, D, C and B I would do it all again. Singapore is getting pushed aside more and more. DD gets the basics with RS, but she is dyscalculic. She can't consistently recall and use formulas. She needs tons of explicit step by step practice, which is why she is doing BCM. :D But she does understand why everything works the way it does thanks to Right Start. Her struggle is in applying it in complicated situations in Singapore. She becomes easily overwhelmed and freezes. She then can't break it down into step by step processes, or remember the processes.

But I also schedule the kids to play the games with each other, so I only do the direct teaching part of Right Start.

Heather

All this is to say that the pace and challenge of RS C, with the above combined (daily practice sheets and skip counting), has produced excellent results for us thus far. I'll most likely supplement w/Singapore over our summer break, after we finish RS C.

I think Right Start C is challenging to most first graders but I doubt there are a lot of 2nd graders that find it challenging. I think the pace is to slow for an average 2nd grader.

It seems as though we may be the exception in this thread, but we're actually very happy with RS C. In fact, I had planned on supplementing w/Singapore, but we just haven't needed to yet.

How far into C are you? I didn't start getting really dissatisfied until after the subtraction section (about lesson 90 or so). And it was mostly looking ahead to levels D & E that prompted the switch.

I think Right Start C is challenging to most first graders but I doubt there are a lot of 2nd graders that find it challenging. I think the pace is to slow for an average 2nd grader.

None of my kids have done C in 2nd grade and all have found the challenge level fine. But they are not mathy.

My 2nd grader is doing B and Singapore 1A

My 4th grader is finishing C and Singapore IP 2A

My 5th grader is finishing D and Singapore IP 3B

My 7th grader is doing Geometry and Lial's BCM and a bit of HOE too.

But I am probably more focused on mastery and less on staying at grade level than most people. The lowest math score I think we have gotten is 75%, that is the National Precential score.

Heather

I'm beginning to think you're right. We do CLE as well, and I feel like if we were just using RS C, it would feel like we were doing no math at all.

This just puts me in a math quandary for next year. We've already tried Saxon and Singapore with no success. What else is left?

None of my kids have done C in 2nd grade and all have found the challenge level fine. But they are not mathy.

My 2nd grader is doing B and Singapore 1A

My 4th grader is finishing C and Singapore IP 2A

My 5th grader is finishing D and Singapore IP 3B

My 7th grader is doing Geometry and Lial's BCM and a bit of HOE too.

But I am probably more focused on mastery and less on staying at grade level than most people. The lowest math score I think we have gotten is 75%, that is the National Precential score.

Heather

I think B is incredibly challenging (and brilliant!). I also think B could easily be a standard 2nd grade program... but once you complete B - then C is so much less challenging because it is just not nearly as hard.

IDK, maybe one reason is that while doing level B, my son mastered the material so he doesn't need all the review of C.

I think B is incredibly challenging (and brilliant!). I also think B could easily be a standard 2nd grade program... but once you complete B - then C is so much less challenging because it is just not nearly as hard.

IDK, maybe one reason is that while doing level B, my son mastered the material so he doesn't need all the review of C.

I get what you are saying, but part of me wonders, kind of what you are getting at in the end, if it isn't the solid foundation in B that makes the rest easy? Though my kids do well with the review and don't complain about it being too easy.

Also my kids also don't like big challenges. Incremental mastery so sums them up. They all really don't care for Singapore and only do it because I make them. :D

Heather

:iagree: B was really challenging for my DD and then C was such a let down because it wasn't. And as I mentioned earlier, D & E looked like it had about a single year's worth of material between the 2 levels. I really like the RS way of teaching math, but the later levels just aren't challenging enough for my student.

I get what you are saying, but part of me wonders, kind of what you are getting at in the end, if it isn't the solid foundation in B that makes the rest easy? Though my kids do well with the review and don't complain about it being too easy.

Also my kids also don't like big challenges. Incremental mastery so sums them up. They all really don't care for Singapore and only do it because I make them. :D

Heather

I think you're right — the solid foundation of B could be why C seems so easy. hmmm, I looked at Math Mammoth 2nd grade and it looks just as easy as RS. Interesting. :)

I think a lot of the money work and clock work could be cut way, way down in C. Maybe to a quaterly, or half year review. I think the mental addition could be cut down to a monthly review (If the kid TOTALLY gets it) and subtraction could use more time because it's basically NEW in C.

On a positive note, my ds loves, loves the geometry and drawing aspects in C. He would never tire of those. He also loved the roman numeral unit and he likes the review sheets because they are easy (but I feel like they are busy work).

Maybe instead of the math games, math puzzles would really mix things up. Maybe I'll start incorporating some puzzles into our week :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

:iagree: B was really challenging for my DD and then C was such a let down because it wasn't. And as I mentioned earlier, D & E looked like it had about a single year's worth of material between the 2 levels. I really like the RS way of teaching math, but the later levels just aren't challenging enough for my student.

I might actually look at D to use over the summer or to use as a supplement to MM. Although maybe math will just be easy for my ds because he has such a good foundation and I should just keep plugging along with RS.

My 6yo dd is K/1 and I'm doing Right Start A with her. I'm kind of thinking my ds can do MM 3rd grade next year so I can really work with dd on RS B.

B was really challenging for my DD and then C was such a let down because it wasn't. And as I mentioned earlier, D & E looked like it had about a single year's worth of material between the 2 levels.

My dd didn't complain at all about RS B, but by about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through C, she was complaining of boredom and it being "too easy." I really had to drag her through the last fourth of C, and I think the only way I got her through was by promising to switch her to MM.

Tara

I'm starting to understand why so many jump to something else after RS B now. I would agree RS B is very meaty and my son is finishing halfway through 2nd grade, which has been just right for him. I have both Singapore 2A and MM, but the more I look at RS, the more I just want to go with it. I am going to start C with him. RS is a little tricky (IMHO) to accelerate through since each lesson is so taylored. I'm assuming if we have mastered, we could just move on or skip that section. Anyone have any success with this?

We do supplement with CWP, which works well since RS has fewer word problems than Singapore or MM.

Is MM challenging for her?

I'm not sure that it's "challenging," as she is very mathy and picks things up quickly. However, she is not complaining of being bored, and she is working on things that she had not worked on yet in RS, so she is enjoying it. In fact, we were just out running errands (instead of doing school, bad me ...) and we were talking about MM. She said, "I like it because it's giving me more to do, and it's not teaching me stuff I already know. And I LOVE the puzzle corners!"

I really think I could skip dd way ahead in math before I would find concepts that *really* are challenging for her, but I do subscribe to the "overlearning" philosophy, so I think it's important for her to really cement the basics right now, so I am satisfied with what she's doing in MM 3B. I use Math and Logic Word Problems as a challenging supplement for her. She has to really think things through, and she loves it.

FTR, I put dd into MM 3B after RS C, in maybe October-ish, so we were still in the first semester of 3rd grade, and it was a very easy transition. She will start 4A sometime in March, probably.

I switched my son to MM 2A after RS B, and it is challenging for him. He is not mathy, but he seems to like MM at least as well as he liked RS.

Tara