Menu

Please share what you are using for high school history..

What do you (or did you) use for high school history?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you (or did you) use for high school history?

• BJU, Abeka or other textbook curriculum
    • Omnibus
    • Tapestry of Grace
    • WTM Recommendations
    • Notgrass
    • Biblioplan
    • Other

How satisfied are you with what you are using? I'm asking for those of us who are thinking of switching from TOG to something different. I did this poll off the top of my head, so if I left out your curriculum/approach please post it in a reply. TIA

Shannon

Edited by shanvan

I voted Omnibus, but I'm actually using a combination of Omni and WTM for Ancients this year. It is absolutely perfect for us. Dd writes her context paper for each work, then we work through the Omnibus material and the appropriate WEM and/or HTRAB section, taking notes from the book. We use the discussion from Omni. Then she writes an essay. We are covering 14 works (probably more technically, but I am counting several short works by one author as one book,) not counting the Bible. We are also using Spielvogel for a spine, and she outlines a few pages of that a week. We also watch TC lectures in the evenings as a family. We are working through the Archaeology fo Greece and Rome one right now, with the Mythology and Aeneid sets up next.

I wanted the basics: reading, discussing, thinking, writing.

I tried to start the year with TOG, and it was too much other stuff and not enough reading and writing essays for me, so we dropped that.

Edited by angela in ohio

I voted other.

We used MFW Ancient History and Lit last year and we were very pleased.

We are using Truthquest Middle Ages this year. We liked MFW but needed a little more flexibility in our schedule this year due to some dear friends coming home on furlough from Africa for 6 months. It was too easy to get "behind" in MFW. Actually, Truthquest is working really well for us now.

I voted other.

We used MFW Ancient History and Lit last year and we were very pleased.

We are using Truthquest Middle Ages this year. We liked MFW but needed a little more flexibility in our schedule this year due to some dear friends coming home on furlough from Africa for 6 months. It was too easy to get "behind" in MFW. Actually, Truthquest is working really well for us now.

Can you tell me how you use TQ for high school? I bought one (MA) and it was pretty much JUST book lists. Do you add anything else? We are considering MFW AHL - but wondered about it being too much for my 'engineering' type boys??

I voted for WTM because that has been my foundation.

But when one of the books on Susan's list was covered by Omnibus (eg the foundational documents or the Communist Manifesto), we would use Omnibus for discussion. If they were covered by TOG, we would just use the discussion part from there, etc. So I didn't do nearly all the Omni or TOG books, just used their discussions (as well as Progeny Press guides).

We did use Spielvogel but when my daughter gets older, we'll use the History of the Ancient World and the Medieval World by Susan. And we've used other history books such as History of the US (Hakim), Past into Present, Last Best Hope, etc, depending on the topic.

Joan

But when one of the books on Susan's list was covered by Omnibus (eg the foundational documents or the Communist Manifesto), we would use Omnibus for discussion. If they were covered by TOG, we would just use the discussion part from there, etc. So I didn't do nearly all the Omni or TOG books, just used their discussions (as well as Progeny Press guides).

We did use Spielvogel but when my daughter gets older, we'll use the History of the Ancient World and the Medieval World by Susan. And we've used other history books such as History of the US (Hakim), Past into Present, Last Best Hope, etc, depending on the topic.

Joan

Well, this sounds like a very interesting approach. Of course it sounds like a lot of planning for the parent, which I was hoping to cut down on, but..... we'll see.

Thanks for sharing.

Shannon

My Father's World. We did some tweaking in AHL (I've posted what we did different here in another thread somewhere), but in hindsight I wish we'd just stuck to the lesson plans as written except to take a little more time with it as needed, rather than switching up a bunch of stuff.

Same boat, and not sure about next year. I haven't looked at WTM suggestions for early modern yet, but I'm hoping I like them. I'm also hoping SWB's next history is published by the end of next school year so we can read through it as a recap.

This year we are using Teaching Company High and Late Middle Ages to cover the years 1100-1600. Are you adding anything?

Can you tell me how you use TQ for high school? I bought one (MA) and it was pretty much JUST book lists. Do you add anything else? We are considering MFW AHL - but wondered about it being too much for my 'engineering' type boys??

Not a TQ user here (because it IS just a book list with some commentary here and there, and some writing exercises), but I think MFW should be fine for an engineering type boy. The Hazell's have two (or three?) boys (six kids altogether), one of which I know is in college for engineering, or might even be done already, I'm not sure.

Seems to me that all of the Hazell kids have taken/are taking different career and ministry paths.

I don't feel that MFW is too much of any one subject. (Although some would say it's too much Bible.... but to me, that's their greatest strength and what sets them apart from so many others.) They recommend Saxon and Apologia for math and science, which would be great choices for an engineering-minded kid.

You can scroll down the page here to see what all they recommend for high school... especially be sure to click on the "Suggested Four-Year Course of Study" and "Planning Guide" buttons about 1/4 of the way down: http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

Not a TQ user here (because it IS just a book list with some commentary here and there, and some writing exercises), but I think MFW should be fine for an engineering type boy. The Hazell's have two (or three?) boys (six kids altogether), one of which I know is in college for engineering, or might even be done already, I'm not sure.

Seems to me that all of the Hazell kids have taken/are taking different career and ministry paths.

I don't feel that MFW is too much of any one subject. (Although some would say it's too much Bible.... but to me, that's their greatest strength and what sets them apart from so many others.) They recommend Saxon and Apologia for math and science, which would be great choices for an engineering-minded kid.

You can scroll down the page here to see what all they recommend for high school... especially be sure to click on the "Suggested Four-Year Course of Study" and "Planning Guide" buttons about 1/4 of the way down: http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

Thanks so much!! I have been over and over this site!! Just read through all the samples again today. I LOVE the Bible reading and would be why i would want to do it. My oldest is the engineering or computer type, but he is also a excellent writer and a great musician and loves sermons and things like that!! The cost is a concern and I am also considering BP and TOG so I can keep us together, but still challenge...he would also miss modern for a little while since we are on year 2 this year!! Oh well!! Thanks again - I appreciate your opinion!! :001_smile:

he would also miss modern for a little while since we are on year 2 this year!!

Have you called the MFW office to talk to them about this aspect of it? They may know of a resolution right off the bat, but would probably have questions about his writing skill level and things like that.

I have used a little bit of everything: Hakim's History of US, Beautiful Feet, BJU, All American History, Spiegovel, SOTW, Streams of Civilization.

I am planning on using BF's Us/World History for High School, the newer 2 yr course and was looking for input from those who used it. We loved the Horse Study a few years ago. She loves to read so I thought we would go with BF again. NARHS says we have to do Everything to get the full credits which is 2 history and 2 literature. SO what am I getting myself into???

I am planning on using BF's Us/World History for High School, the newer 2 yr course and was looking for input from those who used it. We loved the Horse Study a few years ago. She loves to read so I thought we would go with BF again. NARHS says we have to do Everything to get the full credits which is 2 history and 2 literature. SO what am I getting myself into???

We condensed it into one year and took a lot out. I would not consider it a literature credit for high school. He did A Beka English 11 (w/American Lit.) with it. There is no literary analysis and such w/BF, (a lot of the books are biographies). So we read the books as the history texts only. Ds liked it a lot. He chose it over a history text even though there was a lot more reading. I did need to read some of the books so he would have someone to talk with about them. The only thing is that I should have come up with a few projects and/or some papers to go with it.

Edited by Susan C.
added

Thanks so much!! I have been over and over this site!! Just read through all the samples again today. I LOVE the Bible reading and would be why i would want to do it. My oldest is the engineering or computer type, but he is also a excellent writer and a great musician and loves sermons and things like that!! The cost is a concern and I am also considering BP and TOG so I can keep us together, but still challenge...he would also miss modern for a little while since we are on year 2 this year!! Oh well!! Thanks again - I appreciate your opinion!! :001_smile:

I'm doing MFW's AHL with a boy (loves computers & Bible & math, does NOT love reading).

My ds really loves that AHL is all planned out clearly -- that appeals to him :) He also loves that he's reading the whole Bible and also exploring some apologetics (such as Ken Ham), as he's getting to the age of questions. The amount of writing has been good for him, and the fact that some of the literature is free-choice. For the required lit, we use a lot of audiobooks and I still do some reading aloud at my house, by both our choices.

Julie

We condensed it into one year and took a lot out. I would not consider it a literature credit for high school. He did A Beka English 11 (w/American Lit.) with it. There is no literary analysis and such w/BF, (a lot of the books are biographies). So we read the books as the history texts only. Ds liked it a lot. He chose it over a history text even though there was a lot more reading. I did need to read some of the books so he would have someone to talk with about them. The only thing is that I should have come up with a few projects and/or some papers to go with it.

Thank you, I thought it might be a bit much for all that. I would rather cut a bit and enjoy and just take the history credits. I may know of better Lit for Literature studies, for instance she loves Jane Austin...

I'm doing MFW's AHL with a boy (loves computers & Bible & math, does NOT love reading).

My ds really loves that AHL is all planned out clearly -- that appeals to him :) He also loves that he's reading the whole Bible and also exploring some apologetics (such as Ken Ham), as he's getting to the age of questions. The amount of writing has been good for him, and the fact that some of the literature is free-choice. For the required lit, we use a lot of audiobooks and I still do some reading aloud at my house, by both our choices.

Julie

Thanks!! I know my oldest would do great with it. He is a major reader. Not so sure about my other two - not that they have to, but the Biblical worldview is what I really love. I just compare it to something like Notgrass and it looks like a lot more. But, I could be totally wrong - I haven't actually seen either. I hate to lose my oldest out of our history rotation also...and there's the cost! :tongue_smilie: I appreciate your opinion. I will also call MFW and see what they think about the cycle part as someone else suggested!!

[/color][/size]

Well, this sounds like a very interesting approach. Of course it sounds like a lot of planning for the parent, which I was hoping to cut down on, but..... we'll see.

It is not as complicated as it sounds as we did not discuss nearly all the TOG works.

It was the quality of the discussions that interested me, not all the writing assignments.

I'll have to see if I can find my table that matches the works with the discussion books to share with you. What period of history are you covering now? And do you want to change now or next year?

Joan

It is not as complicated as it sounds as we did not discuss nearly all the TOG works.

It was the quality of the discussions that interested me, not all the writing assignments.

I'll have to see if I can find my table that matches the works with the discussion books to share with you. What period of history are you covering now? And do you want to change now or next year?

Joan

I would most likely not change until fall of 2012, but I may consider adding in Omnibus sooner in an approach similar to yours. I've looked at Omnibus quite a lot recently and there are parts of it I really like, but I still like parts of TOG, so I'm still thinking through what I want to do.

We are finishing Ancients right now and will be starting TOG Year 2 soon. When I get to TOG 3 I was considering picking a choosing from TOG and parts of Omnibus 3. Then I think I'm crazy to even consider it. This would be for Ds who will be 14 in 9th at that point. This is all assuming we can finish TOG 2 in a year and a half.

I'd be interested to see your table if you still have it. A couple of other questions... Did you use Bible or Worldview books/assignments from Omnibus or TOG in addition? And, what did you use for writing--WTM approach?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm really drawn to your approach. When I'm tired, though, I starting thinking about textbooks.:001_unsure: I'm all over the place right now and wanting to pick an approach we can stick with through high school.

Shannon

With R, we used Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and were bored to tears. Not that the info was lacking and I made my own tests and writing assignments which were, according to a former history prof, rather challenging for high schoolers. But, I just can't do it again. That book made me want to smack myself in the forehead with it in the hopes of passing out and coming to when the course was over.

So, for ds, who will be a high schooler next year, we'll be using Ussher's Annals of the World, my old college Western Civ book, History Timelines, Blackline Maps, a bunch of documentaries I found on Netflix, and excerpts from SWB's Ancient and Medieval History texts. With any luck, by the time we need Early Modern History, her newest text will be out and we'll use it in it's entirety. His Literature/Great Books Study will match the time periods being studied.

Faith

I'd be interested to see your table if you still have it. A couple of other questions... Did you use Bible or Worldview books/assignments from Omnibus or TOG in addition? And, what did you use for writing--WTM approach?

Bible or Worldview books - mostly not from them.

Writing - WTM approach in that he did lots of history writing. And he did a big research paper in 9th. Not WTM - in that from 5th to 10th he was writing pages, not outlining, and didn't do a research paper in 10th. He did other outlining exercises from the other resources she listed and his grammar book (R&S). Also, he did an online advanced composition course in 9th, French writing exercises (which in some ways cover the same topics), lots of writing about his travels and experiences, and now in 11th - online AP Eng Language (where he's getting an A).

Background:

I had gotten so behind...let's see, I cannot tell you how many years it took us to get through the Ancients (maybe 3?) and then another 2-3 for the Middle Ages/Renaissance (You see I'd never studied those topics in school - so I was clueless and learning lots)...We finally started Early Modern in 9th and at the beginning of 10th I realized that if I didn't do something differently, he would never have studied up to the present days. (This year as such, there is no room for history full time and it looks like he'll be graduating at the end of 11th).

So in 9th, I was listing the History topic with literature and history resources, and in 10th, I separated them.

So for history I just studied the topics using the TC of History: The Definitive Visual Guide topic list, going in depth when the topic warranted.

For literature, I had a separate literature list that was from the same period (from the WTM). So we were covering Late Modern/Contemp in History and Late Modern/Contemp in Literature.

The "literature list" is the table where I listed the works listed in the WTM in one column, then my analysis resources in the next column (eg Omnibus, TOG Yr and sections, PP, or others), and in the last column maybe books about the author. If I didn't have anything for analysis, we tended to skip it, though not always. So we didn't do all the book on Susan's list either. So we would read on spine, do the analysis and move on.

I figured that if they read Uncle Tom's Cabin sometime that year, it was close enough. It's not like reading it while studying Ancients. And in fact, it is probably even better for memory in some ways, to cover a topic at different times in different ways.

I'll send my table when I find it (it might take awhile so don't hold your breath :001_smile:).

We are only doing brief finishing of US History this year to prep for the SAT II in Jan, depending mostly on info he studied through 10th so I'm already forgetting things about this.

In 10th grade, we started where we had left off timewise in 9th in the Visual Guide. And if the pages covered a topic that I considered important, my then 10th and 6th graders would read other books that covered it - eg the books listed in WTM for history enrichment. I did not organize it very much for my 10th grader. He was expected to look up the appropriate chapters in more in depth history books (this is where Spielvogel, America Past and Present, etc fit in), or find books on the topic and then write about it. My daughter would listen to the WTM SOW, we would sometimes read the Mystery of History together, etc. (I know I'm forgetting things but can't remember what). This did not take much organization on my part as....

I organize our library by time period except for the last four hundred years where it is by the century. So when we were working in a century, those are the books that were in the study and it was easy for them to find. Sometimes I would later find books that I should have included but decided that it wasn't the end of the world to just show them later. It was too much stress to have everything perfectly timed. (I have too many perfectionist tendencies as it is:001_smile:)

I have to also say that I only have the Omni III. That has a lot of works I was interested in discussing. There are just too few in the I and II for me to buy them and they might also irritate my husband.

HTH,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

We started the year using History Odyssey (HO) Ancients Level III, but the fit is not good for DD(14). Now we are switching to the WTM approach, using New History of the World for the spine text and the reading list from HO.

Joan

Other. Ana made her own curriculum this year. *BUT* there was a catch.

Joanne, you may have sincerely solved a problem for me. Thank you. DD pulled together a list of books from various sources and is using Spielvogel as her spine. The she created writing assignments to match each major book. I'm excited about her effort, her enthusiasm, and her plan... I was less excited at the thought I may have to read EVERY book so I can discuss it. I don't know WHY it had not occurred to me to utilize TOG discussions! I was trying to talk her into Omnibus last night so I'd have a little direction!

Thank you so much! It's only 7:30 here and I'm feeling pretty good! :bigear:

Haven't read all the other replies.

I use TOG. Yes, we feel like we are flying by the seat of our pants sometimes, but hearing feedback from my dd in her freshman year in college on how well she feels TOG prepared her on many levels, we are going to stick with it and push on! :)