Menu

My husband has his surgery tomorrow

I know it's early, but I wanted to go ahead and post this in hopes of lots of people seeing it. Patrick's surgery is tomorrow morning at 9:15. Your prayers are greatly needed and appreciated. I ask that you pray specifically that Patrick will have good pain control. That is what we are worried most about. I haven't told him this, but I am also worried about him having anesthesia. He has never had anesthesia before, and I just have a little inkling of a worry about it. So please pray that he does fine with the anesthesia as well.

Thank you so much!!

Read to him from The Grapes of Wrath? Sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic?

(This is a nickname for what he is having removed.):D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I do plan to start a thread entitled "Funny things Patrick said while under the influence of anesthesia". :D

We want video! Maybe he'll be surreal in the car and you can make some money on it.

Good idea! He is funny anyway, so I can't wait to see him under the influence. He has been taking Percocet for the last week, and it makes him say a lot of bad words. :lol:

Oh, he had spinal anesthesia, so I don't have much to share about funny stuff he said. He was numb from the waist down so there was some concern about a certain body part still being there, but that was the extent of funny stuff. All is well. ;)

Still praying for him here, too -- how long is the recovery period for that type of surgery?

Cat

IME, the first 3 days are no picnic, but then it heals very quickly. There is amazing blood supply down there, and it is used to some vicissitudes, anyway.

I recall, years ago, trailing the surgical fellow (along with a pack of other residents and students) on rounds through the surgical ward of a big inner-city hospital. A rather nice (i.e. non-criminal) guy who just didn't have insurance, had had to have a huge swath of skin around his rectum deeply removed. The next three days he swore quietly into his pillow (he was lying on his tummy the whole time), and all of us (imagine this in a six man room, no privacy) holding in the gasps every day when the dressing was removed because it looked like an M16 had gone off in there leaving only a small, bright red donut in the middle. Day 4 it looked MUCH better. The fellow (who'd done the surgery) proudly remarked "You can do anything to a rear end, and it won't hold it against you. It would have healed if a roto-tiller had been through there." :lol: Ah, the memories of my youth.

IME, the first 3 days are no picnic, but then it heals very quickly. There is amazing blood supply down there, and it is used to some vicissitudes, anyway.

I recall, years ago, trailing the surgical fellow (along with a pack of other residents and students) on rounds through the surgical ward of a big inner-city hospital. A rather nice (i.e. non-criminal) guy who just didn't have insurance, had had to have a huge swath of skin around his rectum deeply removed. The next three days he swore quietly into his pillow (he was lying on his tummy the whole time), and all of us (imagine this in a six man room, no privacy) holding in the gasps every day when the dressing was removed because it looked like an M16 had gone off in there leaving only a small, bright red donut in the middle. Day 4 it looked MUCH better. The fellow (who'd done the surgery) proudly remarked "You can do anything to a rear end, and it won't hold it against you. It would have healed if a roto-tiller had been through there." :lol: Ah, the memories of my youth.

Whew...good to know. His hiney doesn't look *that* bad, but it looks like it's been punched; the bruising is bad. And of course, he has a bunch of stitches. He is absolutely beyond miserable and feels like he needs to have a bm, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm pumping him full of stool softeners. It is really really sad and so hard to see him like this. :crying:

Sure will! I remember when my dh had his hernia surgery - I was terrified of the anesthesia. But he pulled through and did great. I even met a kind older pastor in the waiting room and he comforted me so much through his words and just being there to talk to. It was a true blessing that I know God sent just at the right time...because I needed it! You and your dh will be in my prayers!

Whew...good to know. His hiney doesn't look *that* bad, but it looks like it's been punched; the bruising is bad. And of course, he has a bunch of stitches. He is absolutely beyond miserable and feels like he needs to have a bm, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm pumping him full of stool softeners. It is really really sad and so hard to see him like this. :crying:

When is he allowed to start the sitz baths? I remember thinking, why would a shallow bath be so important. Pressure. If you soak in a nice *deep* tub, the pressure down there is too much. 3 inches of warmish water doesn't sound like a real thrill, but when you are healing down there it can be amazing. Can you get your paws on a heat lamp? I've heard that is a relief, too.

When is he allowed to start the sitz baths? I remember thinking, why would a shallow bath be so important. Pressure. If you soak in a nice *deep* tub, the pressure down there is too much. 3 inches of warmish water doesn't sound like a real thrill, but when you are healing down there it can be amazing. Can you get your paws on a heat lamp? I've heard that is a relief, too.

He is already doing 2-3 sitz baths a day. That does help.