Menu

homeschooling and using public school system

Hello,

My son is autistic spectrum and have been homeschooling since April 2010. He is doing well academically with most of his subjects, except reading. As a homeschool child, am I able to use the public school system for a remedial reading program to help my son and homeschool the other subjects? Just not sure. He is going through puberty and unfortunately right now his OCD and other behaviors are in full force. He is 11 years old and his reading is not up to par, so I was wondering if I can use the public school system for special ed since he has been classified since 3 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that depends on the rules of your state. In our state, we are eligible for school services and can go to individual classes. I've been told that middle school (which typically includes 11 year olds here) is more difficult though because of block scheduling. Are you thinking he would need to be in a mainstreamed classroom or in a separate spec. ed. classroom for that time?

Hello,

My son is autistic spectrum and have been homeschooling since April 2010. He is doing well academically with most of his subjects, except reading. As a homeschool child, am I able to use the public school system for a remedial reading program to help my son and homeschool the other subjects? Just not sure. He is going through puberty and unfortunately right now his OCD and other behaviors are in full force. He is 11 years old and his reading is not up to par, so I was wondering if I can use the public school system for special ed since he has been classified since 3 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It depends on your state laws and district policies.

I have two dyslexic children. Reading instruction in ps was an absolute failure for them. I would do a lot of research on your options before sending him to ps for reading.

This could be different in some states. But in my state, hsers get no P.S. offerings at all. No speech, no sports, no classes, nothing.

The only way to get that would be to enroll in the virtual academy, which is P.S. at home. Then you would be entitled to your IEP and special help. But you would not get to choose your curriculum or go at your own pace or use any religious materials, etc.

As others have said, it depends on state and local policy. I am in Texas, where homeschoolers are considered the same as private school attendees. Part of the funding for special education is federal money so there should be some policy allowing some access in every state - what that actually looks like varies greatly.

My two daughters qualify for special education because of their hearing loss. We do receive services from the local school district and I have been very pleased with what they have provided. A deaf ed teacher works with us on hour a week in our home, we get drop in speech therapy, and the use of a district-owned FM system. The district also purchased a reading program that was designed for D/HH students since it was disability specific, although they usually do not purchase curriculum.

I would recommend finding out what the laws are in your state and what the local district policy is before contacting the special ed department in your district. Know your rights and what kind of help you would like before going in and you will probably get a lot further.

HTH!

HI Perry,

What did you use for your children's reading? My son is 11 and in 5th grade, he reads slow and his comprehension is very poor.

Thanks

Here are the things we found most useful.

The first few chapters of the book Reading Reflex, by Carmen McGuinness, is extremely informative about the process of reading instruction. There are some assessments in the book that can help pinpoint what issues are present. I didn't use the book for actual instruction, because I think ABeCeDarian is better. It's the same approach, but much more user-friendly.

We did tons of fluency work, but unfortunately my son is still a very slow reader. I think it helped him, but he is maxed out and at his limit. The Six Minute Solution is excellent for fluency, but very expensive.

For comprehension, I like Reading Detective.

There are many other programs and approaches. You might want to post on the Special Needs board. Lots of very experienced homeschool reading teachers over there.