Menu

Question for Catholics about missing Mass

I know it's a sin to miss Mass and I haven't missed in over a year. Yesterday I woke up and made a point of wearing a dress so I'd look nice when I went to Mass that evening. There's a 6:30 pm Mass that I like to attend. I don't know how I could forget but at 11 o'clock last night it hit me that it was Sunday. I really can't imagine how I forgot because I never do that but we've had company in town for four days, I've been on vacation from work, and we've been running all over the place. I feel horrible. I really hate missing Mass.

My question is if it is a sin if you didn't mean to do it. I woke up with every intention of going to the evening Mass. As we were leaving the house that morning I told DH that we'd need to leave my grandmother's by 3:30 to get his friend to our house so I could get to Mass on time. Then it didn't even cross my mind again. Ugh. I think what's really bothering me is that I was planning on giving my two week notice at my company this Friday because I'm quitting to start a company with my husband. I don't want to do that now because it doesn't seem like a good idea to start a business on a week that I didn't start with attending Mass. Am I overthinking this? My plan now is to give my notice next Monday.

ETA - I just reread my post and I know I sound rambling. I guess I'm just feeling concerned about all I've got going on. Thanks for reading.

:grouphug: AggieAmy. In order for something to truly be a sin, you have to have given the full consent of your will to doing/not doing it. I don't think your honest, good faith forgetting would meet that criterion. As LL says, go to confession, explain what happened, and don't worry about it.:grouphug::grouphug:

It will be part of your next confession. If it is weighing that heavily on you, go to the next available confession. Go to a weekday mass or you might be able to find a "replay" of a Sunday mass online (my church has a Catholic TV station on its website with lots of programming available). That might help you get your week back on track emotionally/spiritually, if you feel like you need it (I know I do).

A sin requires intent and knowledge. You don't qualify. :001_smile: Make a spiritual communion.

I've done the same thing, a couple of times. Always on the Feast of the Ascension. Totally, entirely forgot. And from a lifelong Catholic. I am so embarrassed.