Menu

movies for 12 & 13 yo girls

My daughter is having some friends over for a movie night and is having trouble deciding what movies would be fun but appropriate for a group of 12 & 13 yo Christian school girls. We're somewhat conservative in what we let her watch, but it sounds like some of the girls have a little more freedom. Any suggestions?

Oldies but maybe they haven't seen them:

October Sky

The Princess Bride

The Sound of Music

First Knight

Happily Ever After

Singing in the Rain (a pretty fantastic movie, really)

50 First Dates (love this, but it might not be 100% appropriate...seemed pretty sweet & mild, but my memory is lacking)

Star Trek:The Voyage Home (the old crew saves the whales)

Galaxy Quest

Dead Poets Society (my sons esp love this one. I haven't seen it in a long time, so you should watch first)

Billy Elliot

My Dog Skip

Ever After

10 Things I Hate About You

Miss Congeniality*

Freaky Friday

A Cinderella Story

The Prince and Me

She's All That

Never Been Kissed*

What a Girl Wants

The Princess Diaries

27 Dresses*

Uptown Girls*

Clueless

Legally Blonde*

*I'm pretty sure there isn't anything really objectionable for that age group, but it's been awhile.

Oldies but maybe they haven't seen them:

First Knight

50 First Dates (love this, but it might not be 100% appropriate...seemed pretty sweet & mild, but my memory is lacking)

Galaxy Quest

Dead Poets Society (my sons esp love this one. I haven't seen it in a long time, so you should watch first)

I am familiar with these movies and would not let my 12-13 year old watch these.

Ever After

10 Things I Hate About You

Miss Congeniality*

She's All That

Never Been Kissed*

27 Dresses*

Uptown Girls*

Clueless

Legally Blonde*

*I'm pretty sure there isn't anything really objectionable for that age group, but it's been awhile.

Also familiar with these, and same, I don't think they are appropriate for 12-13.

We are conservative Christian and fairly lenient in our movie (at least in regards to action/fantasy) watching but there are just some scenarios that I wouldn't want them exposed to.

Dd10 has seen What a Girl Wants, The Princess Bride, The Princess Diaries 1 and 2, and Ever After. I was comfortable with them all.

Enchanted is another great one that we all love.

The new Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley might interest 12/13 year olds.

I have let my dd10 see Letters to Juliet. They show some renaissance paintings in the beginning credits that has some nudity but really a great story.

My dd's also love Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet.

I just asked my 10 and 16 yo and they just listed everything I already have :D

What about a Retro TV Festival?

Do you have Neflix? Or Netflix through your Wii?

Our dd is 13 and ADORES watching old TV shows through Netflix on the Wii. Some of her favorites are:

I Love Lucy

Bewitched

All Creatures Great and Small (BBC)

Full House

The Brady Bunch

Dif'frent Strokes

I Dream of Jeannie

In fact, a couple of years ago Molly hosted a "Super '70's Party" for her friends and one of the activities the girls did was watch an episode of "The Brady Bunch." Lots of '70's crafts, too-- God's Eyes, Shrinky-dinks, purses made out of denim jeans pockets, etc. We served Jiffy Pop and Tang. Lots of fun!

astrid

Thank you so much, everyone, for your ideas! Love the retro night idea, but we'll see what DD wants to do.

And for those who asked, yes, we do have Netflix, so I'll probably be doing some research tonight. If nothing else, I'd like to see some of these movies again. ;)

I remember the shopaholic movie being cute/funny, but I only saw it once and can't remember if it had anything objectionable. :confused:

I think my vote is still Emma (2009). Chances are the girls have not seen it, and it's super clean, funny, and even sweet.

LOVE the retro night idea though! For us that would be super fun as we don't have TV and therefore don't have TV Land or any of those type of stations that show the older TV shows. For kids that do, it might not seem as fun. I was at a gf's house on Saturday and I Dream of Genie was on. I had forgotten how cute that show was...albeit she IS a genie...but I was actually laughing out loud. :D I miss those old shows.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and the girls have a wonderful time!

Along with some of the others mentioned before, (Sense and Sensibility is one of my all time favorites...) I would recommend Ballet Shoes (2007 -starring Emma Watson a.k.a. Hermione Granger) and Stone of Destiny (2008).

For some reason I can't link to the IMDB Pages but they are worth a looksee.

I definitely wouldn't go for Billy Elliot or Dead Poets with a group of other people's kids.... although I love both these movies there would be long talks before and after with my kids ... so much to think about and process about the world of parent/kid relationships.

HTH

Jen

my 12 yo dd loves Ever After. She saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. I can't think of anything questionable in it. Also, Anne of Green Gables, the whole series of movies is a favorite here.

Another vote for Ever After. And anything Jane Austen.

Question: Is there something objectionable in the Gweneth Paltrow version of Emma? I've seen the Emma 2009 movie mentioned a few times in this thread, but I've never heard of it. It's been awhile since I've seen the the Gweneth version, but maybe I'm forgetting something. I was actually just thinking about watching this with DD the other day.

Rather than the typical 'girl' movies, my DD loves adventure and comedy. National Treasure and Night at the Museum are two of her favorites. She is 8.5, so a little younger than the OP's target audience.

Editing to add: For movies I'm not sure about or don't remember thoroughly, I look up the detailed review on pluggedin.com

Edited by meena

Question: Is there something objectionable in the Gweneth Paltrow version of Emma? I've seen the Emma 2009 movie mentioned a few times in this thread, but I've never heard of it. It's been awhile since I've seen the the Gweneth version, but maybe I'm forgetting something. I was actually just thinking about watching this with DD the other day.

The Gwenyth Paltrow version is clean clean clean! Nothing to worry about at all. It's my favorite version, by the way. :D

my 12 yo dd loves Ever After.

This gets our vote too. Some other favorites would be Confessions of a Shopaholic - its very sweet. Also Blind Side, if I recall correctly, would be good. I saw it but haven't shared it with the girls yet. I intend to though. Penelope is also well loved around here. The Game Plan is good.. Oh and Akeela and the Bee and Bend it Like Beckham are two powerful girl movies that I ADORE. And Ramona and Beezus just came out - we thought that was a lot of fun, and I personally did not have high expectations for that one, but it was SUCH a great movie. We all enjoyed it..not just my younger ones.

Nope, nothing objectionable at all, I just really like the Emma 2009 one better. It's a typical BBC mini-series version...and BBC does Austen so much better than anyone! Here is someone's Amazon review Of the Paltrow Emma which I really related to:

"From a die-hard Jane Austen fan, I can honestly say this is one of the worst films I have ever seen. It was clear watching this film that none of the characters, directors, producers, or anyone involved in the making of this film actually understood the book. Emma is portrayed only as a pretty English woman who has social class and knows it. But the character of Emma is so much more complex. Now, granted, Emma is probably the hardest Jane Austen book to film, because Emma IS so complex, and it's hard to get on-screen, but Paltrow and McGrath did an extremely poor job. When I watched this movie, I had no desire to ever look at the book again. If you want to see a fantastic adaptation of Emma, watch the 2009 BBC adaptation. Not only is it much better than the Paltrow/McGrath, it is perfect. You will watch the adaptation, and want to start reading the book that night. "

I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but I enjoyed the 2009 version so much that I made sure my dh got it for me for Christmas. I've never had the desire to rewatch the Paltrow version...let alone own it so I can watch it at my leisure...this one I HAD to own. ;)

Some off the top of my head that I enjoyed when I was that age, and a few newer ones:

Little Women

Pride and Prejudice

Sense and Sensibility

Jane Eyre

Nicholas Nickleby

Friendly Persuasion(with Gary Cooper, I love this movie)

The Ultimate Gift(this one is much newer)

Anne of Green Gables

Sound of Music

Newsies

Fiddler on the roof

Ever After

Princess Bride

LadyHawk

My favorites for girls' slumber parties:

Pride and Prejudice (2005) <--our all-time chick flick favorite. Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy *swoon*

Princess Bride

Also watchable (e.g., the girls would like these, but I would be less enthusiastic):

Ever After

Princess Diaries (the first one)

Legally Blonde has a lot of s*xual references, a s*xual harassment situation, a woman accused of murder and an affair with a cabana boy (who is revealed to be homosexual)... that's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I think much of the humor depends on non-G rated awarenesses... it is a light hearted, sweet film, but not, imho, a for sheltered kids.

She dresses up like a Playboy Bunny for a party too. A lot of it is about being attractive to men (the hairdresser showing her snapping maneuver when she drops something, and so on). This is a lot of what the emphasis is for typical preteen stuff, and I think that it's probably worth passing over!

The Heiress is a nice movie if you want your girls to stay away from boys for a while. ;)