Menu

Trail Guide to Learner path of settlement users

I just came across this and it looks amazing! However I can't justify the price! It just seems like so much for 2 books and 2 cdroms. Plus having to purchase all the other books to go along with. It looks like a lot of fun and just what I've been looking for. Would I be able to get away with finding some of the books at the library? Tell me what your experience has been using TGLP.

Thanks!

Edited by A home for their hearts

Guest aquiverfull

I used Trail Guide to Learning this year. We only completed the 1st book and then stopped. It is a really nice curriculum. The program is designed much like a unit study and takes 6 weeks to complete a unit. It is all put together so well and my dd retained a lot of what we had studied. The notebook pages are nice and I learned a lot about how exactly to do dictation and copywork in my home. So I don't regret our time with it.

However, I had two problems with the curriculum. The program moves too slowly for us. You will spend 6 weeks on the same books. Since it is so spread out, they will have you reading 1/2 a chapter sometimes. I tried speeding it up, but then you have to drop some things to do that and then things don't line up so nicely as they did. So that didn't work out so well. The second problem and my main complaint with the program is that it is not strictly chronological. The things you study are out of order and that bugs me bigtime. Here's an example of what I mean (I'm including historical dates so you can clearly see).... in POE you will study : Columbus (1492), Jamestown (1607), Pilgrims(1620), Daniel Boone(1775), Lewis and Clark(1804) and Moving West(1820s). In the next guide POS, you cover: Colonial America (1600s-late 1700s), Revolutionary War (1775), The War of 1812, The Civil War (1861-1865), and Gold Rush(1849) and Moving west again from what I can tell. So it's more of a unit study I guess and that's not exactly what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be in chronological order from guide to guide.

I hope that helps.

I used Trail Guide to Learning this year. We only completed the 1st book and then stopped. It is a really nice curriculum. The program is designed much like a unit study and takes 6 weeks to complete a unit. It is all put together so well and my dd retained a lot of what we had studied. The notebook pages are nice and I learned a lot about how exactly to do dictation and copywork in my home. So I don't regret our time with it.

However, I had two problems with the curriculum. The program moves too slowly for us. You will spend 6 weeks on the same books. Since it is so spread out, they will have you reading 1/2 a chapter sometimes. I tried speeding it up, but then you have to drop some things to do that and then things don't line up so nicely as they did. So that didn't work out so well. The second problem and my main complaint with the program is that it is not strictly chronological. The things you study are out of order and that bugs me bigtime. Here's an example of what I mean (I'm including historical dates so you can clearly see).... in POE you will study : Columbus (1492), Jamestown (1607), Pilgrims(1620), Daniel Boone(1775), Lewis and Clark(1804) and Moving West(1820s). In the next guide POS, you cover: Colonial America (1600s-late 1700s), Revolutionary War (1775), The War of 1812, The Civil War (1861-1865), and Gold Rush(1849) and Moving west again from what I can tell. So it's more of a unit study I guess and that's not exactly what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be in chronological order from guide to guide.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your review. I didn't realize it wasn't chronological either, that is something I will have to consider. I was also worried about spending too much time on one event. All good things too think about! Thanks

We are still on Paths of Exploration, but I'll share.

As to the chronology issue, this program reminds me a lot of reading history books by Boorstin. People either really enjoy his books or simply can't stand them. He has a tendency to write in a sort of chronological way, but loves to follow a tangent forward and then have to backtrack before taking off on his next tangent. The Trail Guides are meant to follow a theme - the first is Exploration, the second Settlement and the third Progress. So it is a sort of chronological, sort of thematic program. :)

I personally like that the program moves slowly, as we do two history cycles at the same time - world/American history and classical/ancient history. I am actually doing the Trail Guide at half speed - spending twelve weeks on each unit.

As far as the price, I would try and find it used or discounted. I bought mine discounted (but new) at Rainbow Resource. I also bought all my books either at RR or Amazon.

We are really enjoying the program. I have dds 13, 11 and 7 working through it now. I consider it the primary curriculum for dd7, but a secondary program for dds 13 and 11. All three girls consider it a favorite class. Unfortunately, I haven't really used it long enough to give a good review.

We used 2 units of Paths of Exploration and the stopped, through no fault of the curriculum. Our oldest went to school for about 8 weeks, which is why I stopped that program and just did something else with the younger ones. We will pick up where we left off next year.

That being said, I really like the program. The kids loved it and retained a ton. My only complaint was the science. Most of it was fine, but there were some readings and experiments that we had a hard time with. The book it uses, Handbook of Nature Study, was difficult to read and some of the experiments kind of unclear. When we pick it back up next year, I plan to follow the program as written, and just omit some of the science. My dd started one of the Apologia books in school and really likes it, so will will probably just supplement with one of those books.

All in all, the curriculum is well put together and flows very nicely. It was a breath of fresh air in this house!

I don't have anything constructive to add. I just wanted to say that I have been eyeing this curriculum too...well, drooling might be a better description of what I've been doing. This and Time Travelers are battling it out for a place in our curriculum line-up for next year.

The one thing that has me wondering about it is the fact that it is supposed to be a pretty complete program (except for math) but I don't want to give up our current grammar and writing programs. I'm not sure how easily I could omit those portions of the program or if they are minimal enough that I could include them in addition to our other instruction.

Anyway, good luck in your decision...I'm hoping someone may chime in with some info that will sway me one way or the other. I hate sitting on the fence for so long.:tongue_smilie:

Aime,

I don't know about the Middle School Supplement and I see you have older children, but from what we have done with the regular program, I think you could easily use your current grammar and writing program. Following along with the Charlotte Mason philosophy, there is very little formal grammar at this age, so there isn't much in there. You could easily add that if you wanted to. Good luck in your decision:)

We love it. IN the first unit of Christopher Columbus, I thought I would hate spending 6 weeks there, but there is so much more to be taught than just about CC. IT covers astronomy, and ships, and animals and .... and ... there is a lot.

I am not using the grammar/spelling/dictation portions and so I wish I hadn't paid for the already printed out worksheets. That's my only con right now. :)

My boys LOVE it.

Aime,

I don't know about the Middle School Supplement and I see you have older children, but from what we have done with the regular program, I think you could easily use your current grammar and writing program. Following along with the Charlotte Mason philosophy, there is very little formal grammar at this age, so there isn't much in there. You could easily add that if you wanted to. Good luck in your decision:)

Thank you. I just saw my old post pop up regarding this too. I had forgotten some of the things people had told me.

Hmmm...after reading my old post about this and going over some of my notes I think I am going to do this along with some of the Time Travelers studies for dd7 next year (3rd). I can probably include ds4 (K next year)in the read alouds and the activities from TT. My two older dc will be on a different path for history so I don't need to worry about the supplementation. I love the idea of the majority of our day being all tied together and interrelating. I'm using R&S for grammar but really I could just take sentences from our POE reading to discuss the grammar objective from each lesson in the R&S book. Yes, I'm liking this more and more!

(A home for their hearts) I didn't mean to hijack your thread but thanks for bringing this up again! I think I'm off the fence.:D

As far as the price, I would try and find it used or discounted. I bought mine discounted (but new) at Rainbow Resource. I also bought all my books either at RR or Amazon.

Did you buy the curriculum at RR or just the books? I can't seem to find the the two books with the cdroms there.

(A home for their hearts) I didn't mean to hijack your thread but thanks for bringing this up again! I think I'm off the fence.:D

Not a problem! Your posts have been helpful in my decision making as well. I would love to try this, now I just have to figure out the cheapest way to get it!

Did you buy the curriculum at RR or just the books? I can't seem to find the the two books with the cdroms there.

I just checked RR and they have Paths of Exploration for $119.95 and Paths of Settlement for $128.75. As a note - the CDs are in the back of the books. I mention it because I thought they forgot mine and called them only to have them ask me to double check inside the back covers of the books - and there they were. :blushing:

I'll try and post a link:

Trail Guides to Learning - RR

Glad to see some discussion on this curriculum. I am currently using Paths of Exploration for 2nd and 6th graders. Overall this has been just what I was looking for, easy complete directions daily, history read alouds they love.

Copywork has been a pleasant surprise, really helped my 11yo develop writing and typing skills. Both kids have retained most of what we've covered and enjoyed it.

Gripes: I have to be honest and say the Science is way too easy for a 6th grader. The other problem is POE is not very hands on, has way too many writing activities for a 2nd grader. I looked at the lapbook kits and they look good, and could be added to help this problem. Also, looking at the samples from POS, it looks like they have corrected some of these issues. The Bible supplement CD was terrible, added our own. Also, it's considered a secular curriculum and I'd prefer more christian worldview.

We ordered the deluxe package and have really enjoyed all the books. I am still deciding whether to continue next year with POS. If I do I will be adding apologia science for the 7th grader. Earth Science is still enough for my younger. Language Arts could be excluded for the parent who mentioned they loved their current program. Although the lessons are short and good.

The $400 was not too much when I'm using it for 2 kids, and I will be reselling it at the end of the school year. Next year I'd like to continue with Am History but not sure what other curriculums have a similar timeline.

Glad to see some discussion on this curriculum. I am currently using Paths of Exploration for 2nd and 6th graders. Overall this has been just what I was looking for, easy complete directions daily, history read alouds they love.

Copywork has been a pleasant surprise, really helped my 11yo develop writing and typing skills. Both kids have retained most of what we've covered and enjoyed it.

Gripes: I have to be honest and say the Science is way too easy for a 6th grader. The other problem is POE is not very hands on, has way too many writing activities for a 2nd grader. I looked at the lapbook kits and they look good, and could be added to help this problem. Also, looking at the samples from POS, it looks like they have corrected some of these issues. The Bible supplement CD was terrible, added our own. Also, it's considered a secular curriculum and I'd prefer more christian worldview.

We ordered the deluxe package and have really enjoyed all the books. I am still deciding whether to continue next year with POS. If I do I will be adding apologia science for the 7th grader. Earth Science is still enough for my younger. Language Arts could be excluded for the parent who mentioned they loved their current program. Although the lessons are short and good.

The $400 was not too much when I'm using it for 2 kids, and I will be reselling it at the end of the school year. Next year I'd like to continue with Am History but not sure what other curriculums have a similar timeline.

Thanks for the review! Could you tell me if the lapbook kits are sold separately? I was thinking of getting Time Travelers to go with this so wouldn't need POE's lapbooks. I figured adding TT would take care of the lack of hands on. Also, could you tell me, on average, how long this takes you daily? Thank you!

You said it's considered secular?! And the Bible supplement CD was horrible?! I had no idea it was secular. Id conisdered using rhis at one point. They will be doing high ahook too but i was turned off by its sequence- not related to te history cycle at all. Can you elaborate about the bible portion?

Guest aquiverfull

I didn't use the Bible CD, but I wouldn't consider POE secular. In the books we were reading there was a lot of mention of God, the Bible, etc. I remember the Columbus book having many of those references because it was all about how he "felt led by God to bring the Gospel to the heathen". There are also references to God and the Bible in the main volumes. I'm Christian so I had no problems with the books, but someone who wants secular might not be happy. Also the mention of the Indians as being heathen may upset some.

Edited by aquiverfull

Also, the program is written for 3rd-5th grade (you can purchase a separate middle school supplement for 6th+) so it makes sense that it would be too much writing for a 2nd grader and not enough science for a 6th grader, IMO. My writing-phobic 3rd grader did just fine.

(Of course, I'm talking about POE here and not POS, which is written for 4th-6th.)