Menu

I want an avocado tree and a Meyer lemon bush

I have a lemon tree. I don't know what kind it is, but I had 300+ lemons on it this year. I was juicing like crazy and begging the neighbors to take some. I had hubby severely prune it back after our harvest so next year I shouldn't get so many.

And the neighbor has an avocado tree. We trade fruit. I have nectarine, apricot, apple, lemon, grapefruit, tangelo, orange, and mandarin orange. They have avocado and plum.

Sunny central valley of California is our location.

I have both. They are 2 years old - we haven't had an avocado yet, but we have a gajillion lemons out there. I have am going to juice a bunch of them this week (luckily I have an electric juicer) and I want to freeze it, but don't have any ice trays. Anybody have ideas on how to conveniently freeze the juice?

We have a Meyer lemon tree, a blood orange tree, and a small lime tree in the bay windowsill in our dining room. We also keep potted flowers there. The general effect is very pretty, and it blocks some of the too-strong sunlight.

We bought the fruit trees from Williams-Sonoma. The trees all arrived the very next day after we ordered them.

We had an avocado tree when we lived in Hawaii -it produced a ton but they always tasted bitter, never like the ones in the store. We also had a mango, lime, and orange tree. The mango fruit were delish!

Now in California we have 4 orange trees, a plum tree, and a loquat. Love fruit trees!

We had an avocado tree when we lived in Hawaii -it produced a ton but they always tasted bitter, never like the ones in the store. We also had a mango, lime, and orange tree. The mango fruit were delish!

I have a couple of friends with avocado trees and the avocados are incredibly creamy and delicious, not bitter at all. Huh. I wonder if they are a different variety from the one you had? I thought most of the trees in Hawaii were Sharwils.

What is WRONG with these people?!

I seriously don't know. When I was a kid my next door neighbors had a mango tree. They never ate them. Never gave them away to anyone and wouldn't let us have any even though we loved mangoes. They would scream at us kids if we tried to climb their tree. They just let them rot and fall to the ground every year and no one got to eat them. :glare:

Can you grow an avocado tree inside in MI??? My friend has been trying to grow her own tree for over a year now using avocado seeds that she gets out of the ones you buy at the store. I haven't asked her in about 6 months if her sapling is still growing. Off to ask.

I don't think so. Avocado trees are HUGE! Tall and wide with a huge canopy. They are also tropical. Unless your friend has a serious greenhouse I don't see how she could do it. They need lots of sunlight, heat and space.

My grandpa had a large avocado tree and he was always giving away bags of fruit. Some friends of ours had an even LARGER tree that took up the entire back yard. It was an old tree. Of course, I didn't like avocados back then. DH and I jumped for joy one year when we won a crate of avocados at a MOPS event. Oh those were good.

We also live in avocado-and-lemon land. We are in an apartment, so don't have either :001_huh: but my daughter's piano teacher has a meyer lemon tree that fruits year-round and she is always willing to share :D. We used to live down the block from a beautiful avocado tree, and it was one of the joys of the year to lift our toddlers up on the way to the park so they could "touch the baby avocados". What fun!

My uncle-in-law lives in central MN and has built a sun room intentionally so he could grow his various citrus trees. He grew up in SoCal and when they moved to central MN from the Twin Cities to retire, he decided that life was too short to not have citrus trees. He saved up some money and they remodeled the entire back of the house (remember that houses are inexpensive in small town MN and they were still earning a Minneapolis income). It's hilarious to visit them; the citrus is such a lovely contrast to the snow and it somehow feels more "Christmassy" since here we don't get snow, we get citrus. Nothin' like the annual Christmas pomelos :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes!

I have both. They are 2 years old - we haven't had an avocado yet, but we have a gajillion lemons out there. I have am going to juice a bunch of them this week (luckily I have an electric juicer) and I want to freeze it, but don't have any ice trays. Anybody have ideas on how to conveniently freeze the juice?

Freezer baggies. STack them upright in a shoe box. When frozen, jam them all into a big freezer baggie. To use, hold in palm of hand a few moments, pop open, and the sheet will slip out.

Anybody have ideas on how to conveniently freeze the juice?

Our friends had a huge Meyer lemon tree and would share bags of lemons with us . . . until they moved.

I used to freeze the lemon juice in one cup amounts, putting them in the freezer in cheap plastic cups (the kind you get with kids' meals at restaurants) and then transfer the blocks of frozen juice to ziploc bags to store. Worked great.

I have a Meyer lemon bush in my living room currently. I live in MO so am growing it inside for now, the info said it could be grown potted. Actually we just had to pick the buds off there were probably close to 20 and we have had it for a bit less than a year.

Where do you buy your tree? We've been wanting to get a lime and a lemon tree that we can bring indoors for the winter.

I have a Meyer lemon bush in my living room currently. I live in MO so am growing it inside for now, the info said it could be grown potted. Actually we just had to pick the buds off there were probably close to 20 and we have had it for a bit less than a year.

I have been gone all day- sorry for not responding.

We ordered ours from Stark Nursery in MO. Cannot recommend them highly enough, excellent customer service, great plants and if anything doesn't live you call them up and they will replace them no questions asked, you just pay a nominal shipping fee. I just bought the plant not the plant kit.

We have one friend who has a Meyer lemon tree and another who has avocado trees. I'm jealous of both, though they do share. :001_smile:

We have 2 tangerine trees, 3 orange trees, and a pink grapefruit tree. All were mature when we moved into this house 11 years ago, and are beginning to show signs of dying. I will miss them. We planted 2 new Navel orange trees, but citrus trees take a long time to mature. :(

I love Meyer lemons and would love to have a tree.

We have both!

We have a Reed avocado tree. They are the tastiest variety; they look like giant softballs and ripen in July/August. My fil has 21 acres of avocados (am I making you jealous yet?) and he gave us our avo tree.

I have 3 Meyer Lemon trees. The fruit is just coming on. Although I wish they would ripen in summer, it would be nice to have the lemonade then!

But I'd really like to be able to grow sour cherries. Not enough chill time here though. See the grass is always greener...

ETA: There is nothing tastier than a lemon meringue pie made with Meyer lemons!

My father is constantly starting avocado trees. There are always glasses with avocado pits on toothpicks in glasses of water on the counter and in the windowsill. Some of the trees have gotten to a decent size - 4-5 ft?

Sadly, living in New England, they never get large enough to bear fruit in a pot in a window. He just keeps on starting new ones...

Although I wish they would ripen in summer, it would be nice to have the lemonade then!

Do you ever freeze the juice? You can juice your surplus lemons and then pour the juice into ice cube trays and freeze it. When it's solid, transfer the lemon cubes from the ice cube trays to a ziplock bag and keep them stored in the freezer then just take the cubes out as you need whenever you need fresh juice. :) I do that all the time with lemons and limes and it makes great lemonade. :) HTH.