Menu

Dr. Hive: How is this poss??

I came down w/ an ear infection Christmas Eve & started antibiotics Christmas Night. The day after was painful, but my ear/left side of my face/neck/shoulder, lol, has gradually gotten better.

New Year's Eve, my allergies went nuts, as if something wicked had blown in. It's TX, so that's no big deal, I took my usual dose of allergy meds & sneezed.

By the next day, it was a full-on cold. *While* on antibiotics! I just finished them today, & now my throat & nose are raw, my head hurts, & I'm still sneezing.

Does that mean that this new thing is definitely viral? Because if it weren't for the RX, I'd be thinking this thing was turning bacterial today. :001_huh:

I'm telling you, dh & I have been almost *constantly* sick since we moved in Sept. We've begun to suspect that it's this house. :tongue_smilie:

I would suspect it's a virus. I had something similar but in the reverse order of symptoms. I started feeling just really tired and achy, then sore throat, then fever and vomiting and full on flu symptoms, after a week of that it moved into my right ear and I had intense pain and my ear drum ruptured. I started on anti-biotics when it moved into my ear, but the symptoms all persisted even after I had finished the course of medication. It was just a nasty flu virus that was very tenacious. It's been three weeks now and I'm still not 100% from it. It's apparently going around too so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you had. I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

I would suspect it's a virus. I had something similar but in the reverse order of symptoms. I started feeling just really tired and achy, then sore throat, then fever and vomiting and full on flu symptoms, after a week of that it moved into my right ear and I had intense pain and my ear drum ruptured. I started on anti-biotics when it moved into my ear, but the symptoms all persisted even after I had finished the course of medication. It was just a nasty flu virus that was very tenacious. It's been three weeks now and I'm still not 100% from it. It's apparently going around too so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what you had. I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

Oh, shoot. The tired & achy started the day after Christmas. No fever/vomiting (PLEASE!), but sore throat, & awful gunkiness.

How unfair to have 2 things at once! *Stomps toddler foot.*

I'm sorry to hear about all you went through, though--that sounds *awful.* (Gosh, I really hope that's not this. I think I'll be good & eat my veggies & gummy vits in hopes it will go away, lol.)

Oh, shoot. The tired & achy started the day after Christmas. No fever/vomiting (PLEASE!), but sore throat, & awful gunkiness.

How unfair to have 2 things at once! *Stomps toddler foot.*

I'm sorry to hear about all you went through, though--that sounds *awful.* (Gosh, I really hope that's not this. I think I'll be good & eat my veggies & gummy vits in hopes it will go away, lol.)

sounds like it might be the culprit. I'm sorry you're sick. Get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids. Feel better. :grouphug:

Sounds like you've got a virus now. I'd watch yourself, though; there's nothing like a virus to take down your immune system and in the midst of the mucus and such another bacterial infection (sinus, ear, etc.) could take hold--and if it does on the tail run of a course of antibiotics, you'll probably need different, maybe stronger, abx to knock that out.

For now, though, sounds like you caught a cold.

My grandma used to say one thing turned into another, as in the ear infectin turned into a cold. Now we know that's not possible. You HAD a bacterial infection, then you picked up a virus (cold) which antbx will not touch. Either that, or the new bacterial infection needs a different class of antbx. Sorry - hope you feel better soon.