Menu

? for Bible study guide for all ages users

apCrazy4Jesus

I am considering purchasing this curriculum, but I am not sure that I like the order of study. I think I might prefer a chronological order of study. Have you been able to appreciate the order? What are your thoughts on this?

Specifically...

Year one you study

1. Early life of Jesus and 1st year of ministry

2. Jesus' last week

Year two you study

3. Jesus' crucifixion, burial, resurrection & ascension

Year three you study

4. Jesus' 2nd year of ministry

Year four you study

5. Jesus' 3rd year of ministry

TIA,

Adrienne

I don't have a problem with the way the order that the Bible study is set. A time line is an integral part of the program and even though the study skips around, the student gets a good grasp of exactly when things happened.

We tried several Bible curricula before this one and I have to say that BSG has been a huge hit. It is open and go, easy to implement, and does a great job of reviewing things that have been previously taught.

BTW, hi from the other side of ATL :seeya:.

:iagree: The order has not been a problem. If anything the kids have enjoyed going from OT to NT. The timeline is important! We have a huge one we use for everything so we just plug in the figures on it. The blue binder makes it really easy to teach. Very open and go and can take anywhere from 10 min- to longer depending on what type of discussion we have or if they do a notebook page with the lesson.

Adrienne,

I come from a serious straight through the Bible background, and almost went with Lamp and Quill over BSGFAA because of the order. What I have found though is that I like jumping back and forth. It keeps it from becoming tedious. About the time you think you know what is coming next, it switches and is refreshing. I find they review questions go back to the information covered earlier, so that by the time you switch back to Jesus' crucifixion, burial, resurrection & ascension you have already reviewed his early life and last week. That way it also isn't totally out of the blue either.

The biggest problem in doing what your purpose is you would have to buy all four years ahead of time, and you would render the review work useless. If neither of those issues bother you, by all means, go for it!

Heather

Would this be a good thing to start with kids who really have no background I guess? I mean other than bible stories that we have read they really have never studied the bible. I have owned this for about 5 years and never opened it. Do you guys use the maps to? Should i laminate them? Not trying to hyjack the thread or anything just figured I could ask since it is the same thing.

Adrienne,

I come from a serious straight through the Bible background, and almost went with Lamp and Quill over BSGFAA because of the order. What I have found though is that I like jumping back and forth. It keeps it from becoming tedious. About the time you think you know what is coming next, it switches and is refreshing. I find they review questions go back to the information covered earlier, so that by the time you switch back to Jesus' crucifixion, burial, resurrection & ascension you have already reviewed his early life and last week. That way it also isn't totally out of the blue either.

The biggest problem in doing what your purpose is you would have to buy all four years ahead of time, and you would render the review work useless. If neither of those issues bother you, by all means, go for it!

Heather

:iagree: The review questions are great and have led to some great discussions. My girls have had alot of retention from this study. I don't think I would want to lose the review questions.

Tiny hijack. Please?:001_smile:

I am really looking hard at this for next year, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I need to buy. Timelines? Figures? Student pages?, Teacher visuals? Binders? Ack! I can't look at it hands on and I can't figure out what is integral to the program and what is a fun/helpful extra. Anyone help a gal out?:bigear:

I am really looking hard at this for next year, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I need to buy. Timelines? Figures? Student pages?, Teacher visuals? Binders? Ack! I can't look at it hands on and I can't figure out what is integral to the program and what is a fun/helpful extra. Anyone help a gal out?:bigear:

:iagree:I am "all ears" too!

The "teacher visuals" and the "Student pages" for beginners are the same thing. The teacher visuals are made so that the youngest children can see the teacher draw or mark as they are supposed to.

The only really necessary part is the teacher guide for each level. These include a visual page for each lesson.

The student pages are nice, and require the student to mark or write about the story. I believe they increase attention and comprehension. (They are also sometimes tedious.)

The timeline is really great and you need the figures and labels to go with it. It is not necessary, but is helpful.

:iagree:I am "all ears" too!

I bought the student pages, the Children's song CD and the Bible Book Summary Cards. I got the 4 quarters (Units 1-4) spiral bound so it is a book and we are able to reference back to things easily. The songs are wonderful. DS has them on his iPod and listens to them as he is falling asleep each night. The Bible Book Summary Cards really give the children an opportunity to remember the main ideas of each book of the Bible.

I didn't get the TE as I figured I would be able to find the answers and so far, I have :001_smile:. I also didn't get the timeline as one is included within the teaching of the lessons. DS has a timeline for SOTW and I could easily incorporate the two, but for the time being, I don't see the need for a separate one.

Hope that helps. It is hard to not be able to have 'hands on' for a curriculum and it took me two orders plus a phone call to customer service (they are VERY helpful) to get what I really needed.

Would this be a good thing to start with kids who really have no background I guess? I mean other than bible stories that we have read they really have never studied the bible. I have owned this for about 5 years and never opened it. Do you guys use the maps to? Should i laminate them? Not trying to hyjack the thread or anything just figured I could ask since it is the same thing.

Yes, especially if you don't feel theologically founded because it doesn't dive into different theological areas. It sticks to just the Bible.

We did the maps for a while, but they have you find the same places over and over again, so we dropped them about half way through Unit 1.

The timeline figures would be good. My kids have done straight through the Bible and do timeline figures when we do ancients with our history study, so I don't worry about it with BSGFAA. I also only use it for my older kids. My younger kids do story Bibles still.

Heather

There is a lot of options, and much of what to buy depends on how you want to use it. I personally only use the TM. No student pages or anything else. I run down and get copies of the visuals so I can hand them out to the girls so they know what to read and they love the cartoon story line.

The TM includes discussion questions (but no answers, there isn't an answer key), reference material, various reproducible memory work cards/crafts (books of the Bible, key verses, Romans Road to salvation type memorization with visuals), it has a suggested application and cues as to when to use the reproducible memory work. It includes a memory verse, the review questions for the lesson as well as which questions to review in previous lessons. Then there are the visual pages which include a cartoon storyline of the lessons and the chapter/verses to read for that day. Then it also has prompts to do the mapping and timeline work.

I know other people who only use the activity pages, but I can't really detail what is included there, given I don't use them.

Like I stated earlier, the mapping quickly begins repeating, but it is good to start with. It wouldn't be difficult to print out an online map and use that instead.

The timeline work could be done with resources you already own, or you can buy their product.

Heather

I use the TM and the student pages. We do the stuff from the TM one day (questions, Bible reading, games, visuals for the girls to color) and the student pages the next. I really enjoy the student pages. This curriculum is written so you have enough lessons to do 2 a week for 52 weeks. Basically it has lasted us 2 years because we don't use it every day. The timeline looks really great, but I lack the space to hang it :(

Thank you everyone for your response. I see the order is not an issue for anyone, which I was hoping to hear. I do think I would like the element of surprise studying OT, NT, OT...

Heather - yes, you are right the value of review is too important to change the order of BSGFAA, not to mention who can afford all 4 units at one time. I just can't seem to decide between God's great covenant OT by Classical Academic Press or BSGFAA. I wish someone would compare the two I just don't think many people have used GGC. BTW, I always enjoy reading your answers they are so detailed and informative.

Blessings,

Adrienne