Menu

Need Ideas to Update our DVD library

My ds has just put "The Muppets" into the DVD player. I think it's time to update our DVD library. So, what DVD's do your middle school sons like? TV series or movie recommendations are welcome.

FWIW, we already have Princess Bride and some of the Star Trek movies.

My ds has just put "The Muppets" into the DVD player. I think it's time to update our DVD library. So, what DVD's do your middle school sons like? TV series or movie recommendations are welcome.

FWIW, we already have Princess Bride and some of the Star Trek movies.

Star Wars, X-Men, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter...

Really, it depends on his interests and on how strict you are with censorship etc.

I should add as a disclaimer that I don't have a middle-grade boy. I do have an awfully large movie collection, though, and that's what came to mind. ;)

Mine like:

Get Smart

Mythbusters

MacGyver

Marx Bros movies

Harry Potter

Star Trek Next Generation

Star Trek movies (both TOS and TNG)

Star Wars (original trilogy)

Legend of the Guardians

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

Pixar movies

Monk (tv series)

Favorites of my boys (13 and 10; I won't count the stuff the 5 yr old watches):

Mythbusters

anything Food Network (Iron Chef America, etc.)

Dirty Jobs

Deadliest Catch

Star Wars Clone Wars (the movie and the TV show/cartoon; there are 2 seasons I think on DVD)

Gilligan's Island was a hit (3 seasons)

Pokemon (if you want to go that route; I find it annoying, but the boys ALL love it, as do many of their friends)

movies are harder because I think we have lax rules, but any of the recent comic book turned movie have been pretty good. Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Transformers, Spider Man (1-3), X-Men (all of them), Hulk, etc. I'm sure there are others, but those are some favorites of my older boys. That and Pirates of the Carribean (all 3), Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief, and right now they are on a Harry Potter kick.

We do a LOT of TV on DVD (series), so....

Oh, they liked the Young Indiana Jones series (Adventures of Young Indy) well enough. Not a favorite, but they watched it. The included documentaries (in the extras) are great for history lessons as well.

Also any of the Kratt Bros. Be the Creature (from National Geographic channel) and any other animal documentary. They love Animal Planet, Discovery Channel and Food Network when we are in the US. I think you can't go wrong with any of those shows, whatever plays to your son's interest.