Menu

Someone suggest a show for the kids's that's half as good...

... as Avatar: the Last Airbender. As much as I love it (and I really do love it - it is quite possibly the best children's TV show ever and if anyone wants to use this thread to write it a little love letter, I'm with you), I just know they want to try something new, but we haven't found anything else like it.

Other things they've liked are WordGirl, Animaniacs, and Phineas and Ferb. They still really love Phineas and Ferb, actually. I tried to get them into Dexter's Laboratory and The Fairly Oddparents, but they weren't impressed. They've always sort of turned their noses up at Scooby-Doo (which I'm totally not complaining about - my nose is also turned up). They tried Invader Zim and really liked it, but I nixed that because good grief was that show dark for two six year olds. I was thinking of introducing them to The Powerpuff Girls, but I think they want something a little less on the comedic side. I tried to show them Ben 10, but they didn't get that into it. And we still need to watch the new season of The Sarah Jane Adventures, so I'm sure that will kill some of the screen time.

And I can't believe I just spent that many words on my kids' TV habits. But, I dunno... I kind of like the kids' TV. At least some of it... Besides, if someone knows just the right TV show... hey, that'll be excellent.

I love love love The Last Airbender.

Have you tried Pinky and the Brain? Animaniacs? I think some of the jokes will go over their heads but they aren't inappropriate - just intellectual humor.

Hmmmm - movie wise, we're also big on Hayao Miyazaki - but be careful, a few of his movies have some blood and violence (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away has some scary characters). Most are just awesome - My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle.

Oh, and ds REALLY likes Rurouni Kenshin- it does have violence in it, I'm not sure if you'd like it or not but you could watch it first and see if you think it's appropriate. I like the fact that the main character uses his martial arts skills for good and is a very gentle hearted character.

ahhhh, the Last Airbender. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ We love that show. Nothing is as good. lol ( have heard that they are developing another series - based on an eras-later female Avatar character, though!)

My kids like watching Jackie Chan's cartoon series with dh (it's on netflix instant watch).

But - really - nothing else. I don't let them watch most Nickolodean and/or Disney shows, so they're pretty limited to their options. ;)

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar:_Legend_of_Korra

Hopefully it will be as good as the original.

REALLY!?!

Oh joy!:D:D:D:D

And while we're on secular_mom, her Avatar reminds me, you should check out Miyazaki's feature films. Some of them are a bit dark and scary, so for 6 year olds they might be a bit mature. Tortoro, Spirited Away, Kiki and the like.

Edited by BigMamaBird

There is an older series that I've been trying to find called Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It's all on Hulu here. I remember that show too. I ADORED it so much as a kid. I wonder if it holds up. Ah, really, really classic Nickelodeon.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar:_Legend_of_Korra

Hopefully it will be as good as the original.

Yeah, the kids are so psyched about Korra. I was dubious, but reading a little bit of the fan hype (yes, I'm just that dorky) got me believing in it. And only about a year or so to wait possibly - which seems relatively soon in animation terms.

Samurai Jack is a good thought - maybe. And I'll bet they would like Duck Tales actually. Teen Titans is another thought. They love reading the Tiny Titans comics. I think I had this idea that the Jimmy Neutron show was no good, but maybe I'll let them try that too. Nothing will ever be as good as Avatar though. And now that they made that cruddy movie, people who aren't in on the secret think you sound totally wacko when you tell them it's completely amazing.

Also, can I just say I'm appalled at my own typo in the thread title? I think I was caught between putting it two different ways and muddled it up. That poor kitten.

Haha! When I saw your title (but before I read any of the post) I thought, "Avatar! It's the best kids' show ever!". But alas, I have no suggestions. Avatar was the first and only show I've ever looked forward to watching with dc.

Umm...DuckTales?

DD4 loves Avatar as well (she spends prodigious amounts of time bending the various elements) . And she also loves DuckTales.

ETA: went back and read the responses and realized that you'd suggested this already.

ETA 2: Scrapped Princess? It's an anime series that both DH and I love. We let DD watch most of the episodes.

Edited by Punchie

Oh, I have some huge Avatar fans here as well. We haven't even watched the movie, because we heard such bad things about it.

Our family also dressed up as Avatar characters for Halloween. :D I was Katara, my husband was Prince Zuku, one son was the Avatar of course, another was Avatar Roku, another was a turtle duck and the baby was Momo. Forgive me if I spelled any of those wrong or confused a name. I am not actually a huge fan myself, but my husband and boys sure are!!

We're also looking forward to the next series. Probably the only thing that captures my boys attention as much is Clone Wars, but I am not as thrilled with it myself, with some of the choice language. :glare: