Menu

Should I take both the SAT and ACT?

I am going to be taking the ACT as practice next year, but I will first try the PSAT in my junior year. I did not take the PSAT this year although I should have for practice. But I do have some old PSAT practice tests to work on so that should be good as long as they are timed.

Would it be a good idea to take both the SAT and the ACT? I will be taking both more than once to see what scores are better.

If money is an issue, you can take one or the other, but check out some previous tests (via a book) from the library and do those practice tests at home (NOT all in one day ;)). Give yourself a couple of months and do three tests of each. See which you do better with, then take that test.

I had my oldest take the SAT since that test is 100% predominant around here to the point where only 1 private school offers the ACT (no publics do) and then only twice a year. However, he scored just under the minimum for a scholarship weekend at one school he applied to (not the one he's attending, but we didn't know where he would go at the time). So, I made the effort to sign him up for the ACT. He easily scored high enough on that one.

Middle son started with the ACT and has scored high. He took the PSAT and only made commended status for our state (rather disappointing since, if the tests had been equal, he should have EASILY scored into national merit status for any state according to sites that compare the two). However, it is what it is and we're going to skip the SAT as there's absolutely no reason for him to take it at this point.

Years ago I was better on the ACT too. Maybe it's genetic? :D

If money is not an issue, you can definitely take both and see which is better.

If money is an issue, you can take one or the other, but check out some previous tests (via a book) from the library and do those practice tests at home (NOT all in one day ;)). Give yourself a couple of months and do three tests of each. See which you do better with, then take that test.

I had my oldest take the SAT since that test is 100% predominant around here to the point where only 1 private school offers the ACT (no publics do) and then only twice a year. However, he scored just under the minimum for a scholarship weekend at one school he applied to (not the one he's attending, but we didn't know where he would go at the time). So, I made the effort to sign him up for the ACT. He easily scored high enough on that one.

Middle son started with the ACT and has scored high. He took the PSAT and only made commended status for our state (rather disappointing since, if the tests had been equal, he should have EASILY scored into national merit status for any state according to sites that compare the two). However, it is what it is and we're going to skip the SAT as there's absolutely no reason for him to take it at this point.

Years ago I was better on the ACT too. Maybe it's genetic? :D

If money is not an issue, you can definitely take both and see which is better.

Thank you very much for your help. Lol, so far I am not doing as well as I wanted on the math portion of the SAT, and I am afraid that this will bring my score down. But I haven't completed algebra 2 or geometry yet, so I can't count out on the SAT just yet. I like the ACT better, but I may surprise myself and score high on both. Thank you for your suggestion and yes, money is an issue I have to keep in mind!:D