Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debbiec

XPost: Calculating GPA with mixed grading scales?

I'm taking advantage of the holiday break to get DS's high school transcript up to date and revamped. I have been avoiding calculating the GPA portion due to the dilemma of mixed grading scales. What did you do?

9th grade ~ DS attended public school. Grading scale for the school (and state) is 93-100=A, etc)

10th-11th grade ~ our umbrella and community college both use the traditional 90-100= A.

When he applies for colleges, does he have to send the transcript from the 9th grade public school year as well as submit our "homeschool" transcript or as the final school, do I submit all of it?

Many thanks ~ Debbie

In my experience, colleges will want official transcripts from all schools attended.

Personally, I'd make my own transcript w/all the info in one place, using one scale (90-100 since that seems to cover more classes), with footnotes for each location classes were taken.

Many colleges (like U. of So. FL) are taking the GPA and re-figuring it due to the varying scales & extra points for honors, cc, AP so that they can compare apples to apples.

I worked on it last night and decided to indicate the grading scale (and letter grade) used for 9th at public school and then the rest is on the 90-100 scale. I added "notes" about where various courses were taken. Though we have accredited AP, honors, and Duel Enrolment credits ~ I'm just going to unweight the whole thing (?) ~ of course, I know weighting some of the classes will change his GPA significantly.....should I weight them anyway and then just let the colleges unweight them later?

Thanks for your input ~ it was very much welcomed!

Yes, weigh and let colleges do what they want with them. WHy? Because your kid is competing with all the students where the grades are weighed and that is most places.

9th grade ~ DS attended public school. Grading scale for the school (and state) is 93-100=A, etc)

10th-11th grade ~ our umbrella and community college both use the traditional 90-100= A.

When he applies for colleges, does he have to send the transcript from the 9th grade public school year as well as submit our "homeschool" transcript or as the final school, do I submit all of it?

Many thanks ~ Debbie

Hi, Debbie. I live in Florida so the "rules" may be different, but we are in the same boat as you, regarding our child. Here is the scoop, direct from our county school board: whenever a student transfers from one school to another, his/her physical transcripts follow. Supposedly, the "new" school gets all the previous records, and the "old" school(s) should cleanse all files.

Our dd attended high school A during grade 9. She decided to transfer to high school B for grade 10, and all her h/s A records followed her (a couple were handed to her in a manila envelope, but the majority were sent via computer and USPS) to the new school, h/s B.

During 11th grade at h/s B our daughter became ill and we had to withdraw her from public school. Because we "filed" with the county and state to home school, we are now, officially, the school on record--school C.

Transcripts (from school B, which also included records from school A) should have been forwarded to us, but they were not. I gave it about a month to see if I received anything, but I did not. So I had to call the county school board and request transcripts. The county had a very difficult time producing them, because they had purged the computer system the very day my dd had withdrawn. One of the employees at the county office was able to go into the computer system and extract 12 pages of raw data, but it was so full of errors--they had my daughter taking the same class twice, they had her taking a class at a school she had never attended, they had not given her credit for a high school class she had taken in 8th grade, etc--that it was practically worthless.

So, even if my dd wanted to include official transcripts from previous schools, there are none, other than what I--as her new principal/school--have cobbled together, secondhand, from memory. Fortunately, I saved some of dd's report cards, and the remaining classes are easy enough to remember (she will never forget that C in Geometry).

Long story short-ish: there is ONE transcript to be prepared--and it is the transcript from the LAST school attended. This transcript should incorporate ALL of your child's previous work/grades. Therefore, you, your school, is to produce a transcript which combines all of your child's complete high school history. Again, this is the rule here in Florida.

There is potential for abuse here--"my child is a straight A student!"--but really, the SATs and ACTs tell a great deal.

College transcripts are a different story, and those transcripts exist (ideally, forever) and are easy to request they be sent directly to the colleges to which you child is applying.

About the grading scale: if it were me, I would convert those low 90 scores to As. The majority of the schools grade that way (90-100 = A) and it will make your job easier when compiling the transcripts. In the long run they would be converted by the recipient college anyway, so you're just making it easier from the start. Ditto for weighting: the traditional weighting is 0.5 for honors, and 1.0 for Dual Enrollment, AP, and IB. Again, the recipient college will unweight if they so choose.

Good luck. PM me if I can answer any further questions.

Many thanks for your input. I did finally break down and call one college admissions office and talk it through with them to see what they want to see and how they handle it all. IN a nutshell, she said to send the 4 year transcript that I pieced together (that includes both weighted and unweighted grades - choose one and indicate the other somewhere in "notes"), however, I will need to submit all transcipts from all other institutions as well: prior schools, community college, and any on-line classes that offer transcripts (our AP classes, umbrella). Again, many thanks ~