Menu

Best All-Inclusive Online or Computer-Based Programs

hmschooling

DH wants me to find a computer based curriculum for my kids for the remainder of the school year and next. Either CD-ROM or Online. 1st and 4th graders. Must have all subjects included (not pieced together like TTMath and ClickNKids Phonics, etc.)and be very hands-off for mom. As independent as possible and reasonably priced. I need answers fast! We want to purchase and start right away.

You might want to look at Time4learning

http://www.time4learning.com/curriculum/scope-sequence/index.shtml

I'm not sure if a 1st grader would do too well completely on their own with a computer based program though, but it may work for you. My kids have liked what they've done on it, but I've never used it as a stand-alone program (although I know some people do).

You can get a discount if you pay by the year or by 3 months at a time in advance (normally $19.95/month I think but it's $45 for 3 months at a time per student).

I answer this with reservations, since I both feel for your situation and haven't been in it myself. Looking at your list, you're doing a lot of things (3 HOD levels???). I don't know exactly what your situation is, but even just going to BARE BONES, as in math and phonics every day, would be a start. If you could put your 4th grader into something like the BJU online or whatever strikes you and keep working with your 1st grader, doing that barebones (only math and phonics), it might be preferable. 1st grade is just really young to try to learn independently, kwim? But the 4th grader would be fine.

Two more things. One, sometimes the answer is not new curriculum but putting the money in housecleaning or other helps. You can't do everything.

Two, sometimes what the mom is getting blamed for, or what the dad is seeing and is concerned about, is actually the creeping up of problems that are going to be there no matter WHAT curriculum you use. For instance you're doing MM3 and R&S3 but you want a 4th gr curriculum? Have you finished these things? Are you sure they're ready? Have you done placement tests on the math? Changing curriculum is no substitute for identifying and solving the problem if there is one.

Even something like the BJU online, as wonderful as it is, isn't going to be INDEPENDENT. Anything that is, well might not have the results you want. Closest thing you could get to that, and what actually might be a fabulous option for you, is CLE. Totally written to the student, enough review built in, very, very affordable. It's not on computer, but you still might look at it. It fits your criteria better than anything else that comes to mind.

I answer this with reservations, since I both feel for your situation and haven't been in it myself. Looking at your list, you're doing a lot of things (3 HOD levels???). I don't know exactly what your situation is, but even just going to BARE BONES, as in math and phonics every day, would be a start. If you could put your 4th grader into something like the BJU online or whatever strikes you and keep working with your 1st grader, doing that barebones (only math and phonics), it might be preferable. 1st grade is just really young to try to learn independently, kwim? But the 4th grader would be fine.

Two more things. One, sometimes the answer is not new curriculum but putting the money in housecleaning or other helps. You can't do everything.

Two, sometimes what the mom is getting blamed for, or what the dad is seeing and is concerned about, is actually the creeping up of problems that are going to be there no matter WHAT curriculum you use. For instance you're doing MM3 and R&S3 but you want a 4th gr curriculum? Have you finished these things? Are you sure they're ready? Have you done placement tests on the math? Changing curriculum is no substitute for identifying and solving the problem if there is one.

Even something like the BJU online, as wonderful as it is, isn't going to be INDEPENDENT. Anything that is, well might not have the results you want. Closest thing you could get to that, and what actually might be a fabulous option for you, is CLE. Totally written to the student, enough review built in, very, very affordable. It's not on computer, but you still might look at it. It fits your criteria better than anything else that comes to mind.

Trust me...I know!!! He says MUST be computer, and as independent as possible. I know I'll still be doing stuff espcially with 1st grader. Already been doing bare bones with 1st grader. Love the idea of money going more to house help! ha!

I just wish DH understood more...but not so. As of a few hours ago though, they were starting public school tomorrow. So, home with something even like T4L, with some of HOD's books to read and such, will be better IMO. Not what I want, but perhaps I can be back to HOD after next school year.

There are no real problems school wise for the kids. They are doign well and learning. He just feels I have too much to do and he is easily stressed, especially when the house isn't quite clean (honestly, he doesn't seem to realize that's impossible with 4 children here, even part time!) I want them home...I want HOD...I want to teach them. I've got sleep issues and it shows (that would be the 13month old that wakes up over...and over...and over...every. single. night)...hence, the trigger for DH to go down the pub school route. I'm just thankful he says I can keep them home if I find a good computer program for them!!!!!!!!

Any other ideas anyone?

ETA:

For instance you're doing MM3 and R&S3 but you want a 4th gr curriculum? Have you finished these things? Are you sure they're ready?

I went with MM3 to fill in some gaps...she's ready for 4th grade, and is a 4th grader, but something like T4L gives access to 3rd through 5th for each subject for a 4th grader. I stated 4th grader for general reference, not really referring to placement, which will be decided when we figure out which program we will use and take placement tests. :)

Edited by hmschooling

You might want to look at Time4learning

http://www.time4learning.com/curriculum/scope-sequence/index.shtml

I'm not sure if a 1st grader would do too well completely on their own with a computer based program though, but it may work for you. My kids have liked what they've done on it, but I've never used it as a stand-alone program (although I know some people do).

You can get a discount if you pay by the year or by 3 months at a time in advance (normally $19.95/month I think but it's $45 for 3 months at a time per student).

If we went with that, I'd continue the HOD readalouds but at bedtime, let them read lots of the history/science books from HOD on their own, do the emerging reader set with Ds when he's ready, and supplement the math with MathTacular and the new TimesTales DVD.

Great to know about the discount!

:grouphug:

I can't say anything about other programs, but for math, I highly suggest ALEKS!!

We just reviewed if for the TOS Review Crew and my kiddo's are loving it. It's geared for 3rd and up, pretty independent and it has creates the curriculum around what the students know already and what they need to work on. My math phobic DD is really thriving with ALEKS and it's easy to move them up in courses if they are really picking things up quickly.

http://www.aleks.com/

I know you said you wanted something complete, but maybe you could use ALKES and then something like Switched on Schoolhouse for the other subjects.

Oh...I also agree with the suggestion of using available funds for some extra help around the house instead of curriculum. That way you could keep homeschooling like you would like to, which sounds like it is working well, focusing on that instead of worrying about the house so much.

You might try (again) discussing with dh logically what is really bothering him. If it is an untidy home, then fix that. Babies and bath water come to mind....

Another option to consider would be a VA. Curriculums like K12 are substantially online (though not the LA for the lower grades). Since the curriculum is free you could use the $$ for a house cleaner. :D

PS -- if my dh finds the mess from the kids and I stressful he darn well cleans it up himself. He was a SAHD for the first few years and doesn't take for granted how hard it is to be home. Maybe DH should spend a week home alone with the kids and house and learn what REAL stress is. :p You can pop in just often enough to tell him to clean the mess up! :lol:

Edited by ChandlerMom

I've tried both T4L and SOS. SOS is for 3rd grade and up. There's also Rusty & Rosy for k-2. I think it's reading, math, and science. Smart Tutor is good, but it is only reading and math.

I preferred SOS to T4L because I could move assignments around, delete them, or reassign them. I also took the spelling lessons out and made them a separate subject. I learned how to do all that on the SOS yahoo group. I felt more in control. There is a learning curve. It takes a while to learn to do all that stuff. It also takes awhile to just plain install all of it. :tongue_smilie: So T4L might be your best bet to hit the ground running.

I've checked out a few other online spots.

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com is free and all inclusive

Homeschoolbuyersco-op.com has Plato Learning all-in-one. It looks good, but requires a full year commitment up front. I prefer month to month.

They also have Rusty & Rosy.

http://www.futureschool.com/

http://www.linkonlearning.com/k8/tour/default.htm

HTH,

Jennifer

I'm not a stickler about a perfect house either, but there's a disconnect in my mind. You're saying your dh wants you to put them over to something on the computer so you'll have more time to clean and have a peaceful home, get sleep, etc. So then why are you saying you're going to add all these other things??? I would do 2 hours of school a day and 2 hours of cleaning. I mean seriously, cleaning IS teaching them. It's teaching them how to live. I'd make getting your lives in order part of your homeschooling day. It's important to have a peaceful house, just as much as it is to do all those academics. Your kids are young enough that these ARE the fundamental lessons, just as much as spelling, writing, and math.

BTW, my life kind of fell apart after ds was born. (Dd was 9 1/2 at the time, same age as your oldest.) We focused on living and let the rest come as it could. So I've btdt on the living side of it. A little less academics for a while at age 9 won't hurt.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Since K12, SOS, time4learning and BJU dvds have already been listed, the only others I can think of are Abeka dvds or online, Great Books Academy online, Lone Pine Classical School (online), Memoria Press online, and Veritas Press Online Self-Paced courses or Live Online courses. I have no idea how many subjects any of them except Abeka offer. I think VP might only offer online history w/ some literature & Bible woven into it, not all the other courses. I'm unsure though, as their catalog leaves me wondering - their site should clarify. There has been much recent discussion on these boards about VP history you could read. Their Online only courses sound (and look, from what I've seen of samples) thorough, full, and complete. Books could easily be added on the side or at bedtime.

I agree with others who have suggested streamlining in other areas - combine the kids for a simpler, easier to get done history & science; look into housecleaning and/or having a "mom's helper" around; etc. But, if those are not options and the line has been drawn in the sand, I suppose at least you get to keep them home. I know how hard that is; that happened to me except my Abe spent his first semester of 1st gr. @ ps b/c dh (how's that for a long string of acronyms?) was adamate. At some point you just have to decide to make the best of it - I had to anyhow otherwise I'd have become very bitter, I guess ymmv. Use that time wisely, assuming it frees you up some. Use it to prepare yourself, your kids, your homeschool plans, the overall ogranization of your life & home for when/if you can go back to HOD and the other things you really love.

((((HUGS)))) to you!

If you want something Christian, I would choose BJU over Abeka. BJU gives you 13 months to complete the material and Abeka only gives you 9 (or is it 10?). BJU is less expensive but has wonderful reviews.

:iagree: I know I mentioned Abeka, but I was just tossing it out there as something that fit your criteria. I'd use any of the other options before Abeka in a heartbeat. I've used Abeka K through 4th in the past in hard copy form, not online or dvd. It's not bad per se, but it's dry & heavily repetitive. I should have added this disclaimer before.

I'm not a stickler about a perfect house either, but there's a disconnect in my mind. You're saying your dh wants you to put them over to something on the computer so you'll have more time to clean and have a peaceful home, get sleep, etc. So then why are you saying you're going to add all these other things??? I would do 2 hours of school a day and 2 hours of cleaning. I mean seriously, cleaning IS teaching them. It's teaching them how to live. I'd make getting your lives in order part of your homeschooling day. It's important to have a peaceful house, just as much as it is to do all those academics. Your kids are young enough that these ARE the fundamental lessons, just as much as spelling, writing, and math.

BTW, my life kind of fell apart after ds was born. (Dd was 9 1/2 at the time, same age as your oldest.) We focused on living and let the rest come as it could. So I've btdt on the living side of it. A little less academics for a while at age 9 won't hurt.

B/c it wouldn't be adding! I'm going to read to them anyway, might as well use the HOD storytime books. And the MathTacular is a DVD they watch, so is the TimesTales DVD...no time from mom needed. And DD9 is a reading addict...lol...loves to read...so I'll let her read for pleasure from other HOD books I won't be reading aloud.

The kids do lots of cleaning already. It's honestly my 4yo that makes life crazy...and my 1yo is getting pretty active now that he's starting to run. I was only doing 2 actual guides for HOD...the LHTH is only about half an hour of my day and it helped give my some 1on1 with DS4 so I could get more stuff going with big kids.

I'll be looking at all the other suggestions!

I've ruled out T4L for her, but not so much for 1st grader. I'm looking at SOS for her, but I've never really liked it before (though I was looking from a different perspective, like I actually had OPTIONS. Arrrgh)

Edited by hmschooling

K12 has a virtual public school in Arkansas but it would still be time consuming for you at their ages although if your older one is a strong reader they could do a lot on their own. You could also print some worksheets etc from the 1st grader to piggy back the younger if you wanted to. There are a lot of trade offs though in that you have time consumed by reporting and generally maintaining their requirements.

ETA: Alpha Omega has a new online curriculum called Monarch that starts with grade 3. Perhaps that would be an option.

K12 has a virtual public school in Arkansas but it would still be time consuming for you at their ages although if your older one is a strong reader they could do a lot on their own. You could also print some worksheets etc from the 1st grader to piggy back the younger if you wanted to. There are a lot of trade offs though in that you have time consumed by reporting and generally maintaining their requirements.

ETA: Alpha Omega has a new online curriculum called Monarch that starts with grade 3. Perhaps that would be an option.

No openings for the virtual school. I did apply on the waitlist, but the time commitment each day is crazy!

I see the Monarch and if I'm not mistaken, it's just online version of the SOS Cd-roms??

Time4learning would satisfy your husband ... I think. I tried it las month since they had a special for 4.99...but I did not like it. Very basic . But that's just me :glare:

I prefer BJU dvd if you can afford . But it is much more time consuming than ANYTHING ( for you and your children) if you do all the subjects. Scool can take 5-6 hours/day ! Plus if you print , you have to calculate that too.

You might try (again) discussing with dh logically what is really bothering him. If it is an untidy home, then fix that. Babies and bath water come to mind....

Another option to consider would be a VA. Curriculums like K12 are substantially online (though not the LA for the lower grades). Since the curriculum is free you could use the $$ for a house cleaner. :D

PS -- if my dh finds the mess from the kids and I stressful he darn well cleans it up himself. He was a SAHD for the first few years and doesn't take for granted how hard it is to be home. Maybe DH should spend a week home alone with the kids and house and learn what REAL stress is. :p You can pop in just often enough to tell him to clean the mess up! :lol:

Your 'babies and bath water' comment got me laughing!

DH does try to help with the home...he's been a student for 3 years in an accelerated RN program. VERY absent from home and no idea what it's like here-- including school and such. I've been lazy with scheduling and such...sorta go with the flow...he isn't liking that so much! He wants me up early and house clean...he doesn't see the structure he wants to see. I just made a great schedule that was working then christmas and such plus him graduating from school blew it all out of the water. He's actually at home now! Do you KNOW how HARD it is to stay on track with him HERE?!?! Geesh! Anyway, it's structure for the kids and me that he wants...he's a very orderly person, though can't clean up after himself to save his life. HAHAHA! Don't get me wrong, he does help with the rest now!

I've tried talking to him and figuring it all out but I just don't get it.

No openings for the virtual school. I did apply on the waitlist, but the time commitment each day is crazy!

I see the Monarch and if I'm not mistaken, it's just online version of the SOS Cd-roms??

K12 is a good curricula but would be very time consuming for you with your 1st grader. They do try to make it more independent for above 3rd grade. Some charters have synchronous online classes for the K12 curricula to take the teaching out of your hands but it would still involve some of your time.

DH does try to help with the home...he's been a student for 3 years in an accelerated RN program. VERY absent from home and no idea what it's like here-- including school and such. ... I just made a great schedule that was working then christmas and such plus him graduating from school blew it all out of the water. He's actually at home now! Do you KNOW how HARD it is to stay on track with him HERE?!?!

So he has no idea what's been going on around home, except for this short slice of time since he recently graduated, and based on that, he's essentially ordering you to put them into online school? This despite the part I bolded?

So he has no idea what's been going on around home, except for this short slice of time since he recently graduated, and based on that, he's essentially ordering you to put them into online school? This despite the part I bolded?

Ummm...in a word. Yes. But, actually it was public school. I'm the one that brought up online school to keep them home. But, he knows I've been worn thin and thinks he's helping. I'm just getting all stressed though! He's jumping back in and feels the need to regain control of the home I'm sure. He's been so out of the loop and no involved that I'm sure he needs to make some decisions and such to feel like "he's back". As long as I get them home and it's not more time consuming than it was, I'll do it.

I'm sorry - I came back to edit because that last post sounded really jerky and rude. I figured I was too late, though. I was just in a hurry and posted while looking up a quick recipe. Bad idea. I apologize.

Can I ask why you've ruled out Time4Learning? I know it's not extremely rigorous, but my DD absolutely loves T4L. We purchased it for a short time after I had the baby - it was the only school that got done at all for several weeks, lol. She still asks me to get it for her again at least once a week. I don't because I think it's a lot of money for something to use just for fun, but if we were rich I'd do it OR if I needed to save time for some reason I'd do it. T4L isn't just the online component - it also has printables to go along with most of the lessons, although not all. It's crazily weak in science for first grade and I can't recall if it has any history at all for 1st grade, but the way the program is set up you're allowed to go a grade up or a grade down from whatever you register your child, so that shouldn't be a big problem. I like Time4Learning. :)

I'm sorry - I came back to edit because that last post sounded really jerky and rude. I figured I was too late, though. I was just in a hurry and posted while looking up a quick recipe. Bad idea. I apologize.

Can I ask why you've ruled out Time4Learning? I know it's not extremely rigorous, but my DD absolutely loves T4L. We purchased it for a short time after I had the baby - it was the only school that got done at all for several weeks, lol. She still asks me to get it for her again at least once a week. I don't because I think it's a lot of money for something to use just for fun, but if we were rich I'd do it OR if I needed to save time for some reason I'd do it. T4L isn't just the online component - it also has printables to go along with most of the lessons, although not all. It's crazily weak in science for first grade and I can't recall if it has any history at all for 1st grade, but the way the program is set up you're allowed to go a grade up or a grade down from whatever you register your child, so that shouldn't be a big problem. I like Time4Learning. :)

No need to apologize :)

I was reading on the T4L forums and there are lots of concerns and contradictions to our Christian faith in grade 3 and up. If I were going to be rather hands-on with it, we'd tackle it together. But, since I'm not, I don't want to just let them loose with it. KWIM? Otherwise, I like it just fine.

I'm liking Future School for math and language arts for 1st and 4th, and SOS for Science and History. Plus, lots of good books to read, of course! Maybe we can still sneak in the MathTacular DVD's ;)

If your husband is asking for structure, and he is home, might I respectfully suggest he take the 4-year-old to the park/zoo/gym/woods every morning at precisely 9 a.m.??:)

Oh, and the baby, too...

ROFL!!! Once the weather is nice, I'll be letting said 4yo out back. We now have an acre of land with half an acre fenced in back and live on a dead end road :D Yay for new house with some outdoor freedom!!!

Pluse DH starts his new job as a cardiac critical care RN on Jan 12...3 months of day shift 7a-7p, then he'll be night shift 7p-7a...work at night, sleep at day. That will be interesting. So, no woodmen trips here. Darn it.

I have just started using switched on schoolhouse to save some mommy time as well. We love it so far but we are only using history and science regularly. I like it because it is all inclusive yet easy to rearrange the schedule. You just assign what you need and all of the grading is done for you. For math we use singapore but i am using tests only in sos for review because we will take standardized tests this year. It is kind of expensive but you may be able to get it inexpensive used. I hope you find what you need :)

I hope you like roller coasters...

They start school tomorrow. Not enough money until tax return in February so won't be homeschooling until the fall. :confused::crying: Not like I don't have EVERYTHING we need to continue sitting right there on the shelf!!! Sorry...I'm upset. Mad. Hurt. Sad. and not being nice to DH...

Just heard this news at 9:30 the night before I'm supposed to take them to enroll. Off to hunt all the paperwork and hope for some sleep.

I hope you like roller coasters...

They start school tomorrow. Not enough money until tax return in February so won't be homeschooling until the fall. :confused::crying: Not like I don't have EVERYTHING we need to continue sitting right there on the shelf!!! Sorry...I'm upset. Mad. Hurt. Sad. and not being nice to DH...

Just heard this news at 9:30 the night before I'm supposed to take them to enroll. Off to hunt all the paperwork and hope for some sleep.

I'm so sorry.

Seems if dh is going to make unilateral decisions he should darn well fill out the paperwork himself and take the kids himself to enroll.

If he honestly wanted to reduce your stress, I'd say he failed miserably. This is his failure, not yours. You just have to live with the consequences of his need for ...orderliness.

Again, sorry.

Yes ladies, my life is crazy. So is my DH...and the roller coaster continues. Big prayers and tears and lots of texts since my last post. DH is out of state right now and I mentioned some things you ladies said about a curriculum change not being the answer, etc. Asked him to tell me what real issue is and that I want to know what he expects changing curriculum to help (or public school). How are those the solutions...and why can't we use what we know works already?

Well, miraculously....drum roll please.....my kids are staying home.:D Not only that, we are HODies once again! This ride is officially over and we've landed on totally solid ground.

I appreciate your thoughts you posted here...without them, I wouldn't have had them in my head to share with DH! And I know some of you have been praying and I so appreciate that! God worked fast on this one folks...amazing! I can sleep now!

Oh, I bet you're wondering what the actual issue is, right? DD9's bad attitude towards some of school...math and gramar...surprised? LOL. The seemingly unstructed days at our house (okay, really unstructed right now), and he wants desks in the school room for them both to sit to do work there instead of sending them to their rooms to do indpendent work...they dawdle and he's right...they need more oversight.

The solutions? Two desks, stay on my general schedule (more of a routine with vague times for the most part, except fixed starting times for school, meals, and ?), Start and STICK TO my motivated moms chore plan so the house stays cleaner.

My requests of him? Support me FULLY in homeschooling, learn more about our curriculum choice with HOD, and find a way that he isn't a distraction to our day when he's at home and make himself involved, but not in the way--- like taking the 4yo outside or what have you.

I'm a happy homeschooling mama now!

Great!!

I think those are great requests of him. Him learning more about HOD could help. Maybe he could be hands on in some of those activities and field trips. Doing things with N and J while the rest of you are working is a great idea too.

Then you can provide more structure time (sit at your desk and work on ABC) and keep up the house with MM. I think your house is always neat! I think part of that is his unrealistic expectations with 4 kids. I'd find out what rooms or areas are most important to him. Like living room and kitchen, or bedroom and hallways, etc.

Good luck!

~me ;)

Oh, I bet you're wondering what the actual issue is, right? DD9's bad attitude towards some of school...math and gramar...surprised? LOL. The seemingly unstructed days at our house (okay, really unstructed right now), and he wants desks in the school room for them both to sit to do work there instead of sending them to their rooms to do indpendent work...they dawdle and he's right...they need more oversight.

The solutions? Two desks, stay on my general schedule (more of a routine with vague times for the most part, except fixed starting times for school, meals, and ?), Start and STICK TO my motivated moms chore plan so the house stays cleaner.

My requests of him? Support me FULLY in homeschooling, learn more about our curriculum choice with HOD, and find a way that he isn't a distraction to our day when he's at home and make himself involved, but not in the way--- like taking the 4yo outside or what have you.

I'm a happy homeschooling mama now!

I'm glad things worked out for you! HSing requires buy-in and commitment from both parents, so hopefully dh will be able to get there. My dh works 3 days a week, and I've found that having a clear POSTED schedule helps immensely -- before that dh would decide to put a dvd on for the kids...in the middle of our school day. :banghead: Putting dh in charge of set projects (like a science or craft) also works well for us (as in, "Honey, here's a couple pullies and some string and some weights. Go teach them something."). :lol:

Until you find desks, you might just try having them sit at the kitchen table, or choosing a "reading spot" on a couch. That way you can oversee, but still get the kitchen clean, for example. :D Your kids are also old enough to be doing more of the home cleaning -- put 'em to work! Good luck!

Great!!

I think those are great requests of him. Him learning more about HOD could help. Maybe he could be hands on in some of those activities and field trips. Doing things with N and J while the rest of you are working is a great idea too.

Then you can provide more structure time (sit at your desk and work on ABC) and keep up the house with MM. I think your house is always neat! I think part of that is his unrealistic expectations with 4 kids. I'd find out what rooms or areas are most important to him. Like living room and kitchen, or bedroom and hallways, etc.

Good luck!

~me ;)

:iagree: Focus on his greatest pet peeves. Here, dh wouldn't notice how nasty a kitchen sink or toilet got, as long as the floor isn't covered with stuff. FOr us, a 10 minute toys->bins before dh gets home helps dh's mood immensely, even if the dishwasher hasn't gotten unloaded or...

My kids went to bed thinking they would be getting their own (super basic, cheap) computers and doing fun online school. They both woke up asking if they could go to school this morning! WHAT?! I give up. Lol. Especially after dad heard, they are going, one semester. I'll love on my babies more with my extra time, work with my 4yo more, and set us up with more structure and get some good habits going. Home in the fall with a prepared and better rested mama, a dad well-versed in HOD, and a good, solid structure and routine.

They were assessed today and aced it all pretty much. Hehehe. So they were placed in the appropriate grade. They do use TERC Investigations (new math) so that's a downer. It's just one semester and no more roller coaster bc they are IN. Now to go make the best of it and look forward to fall!

Great!!

Good luck!

~me ;)

Ha! Panicked me for a minute! How does this stranger know my kids?! Haha! Will see you Friday!