Menu

U.S. history suggestions for 3rd grader

anabelneri

No doubt this topic has been talked to death at other times, but it's impossible to search for. What are good books/resources for covering U.S. history with a 3rd grader? We're also doing SOTW, and will continue using it through 3rd grade also. Is there anything like SOTW for U.S. history?

Thanks!

Anabel

-Oak Meadow History and English 5 is American History and I think it can easily be used with younger students

-Complete Book of US History

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-U-S-History/dp/1561896799/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293993321&sr=8-1

-This one seems interesting but I haven't seen in person

http://www.amazon.com/American-Story-True-Tales-History/dp/0375812563/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293993577&sr=1-2

You could look at Mara Pratt's books, American History Stories. They are available for free at the Baldwin Project. Here's a direct link to her series...

American History Stories

I'm using these with a 2nd grader and a 4th grader, and they seem to enjoy them as well as learn. The stories are fairly short. Some are a bit outdated, but I simply explain as I go, and they make a good spine for American history.

I am putting together my own US history 1 for my DS (3rd) and DD (1st) next year. I will likely chose a spine from one of these two:

"A History of the United States and Its People"

or

"A First Book in American History"

both by Edward Eggleston, although I haven't made any hard decision on this. I am going to get the D'Aulaire pack from Beautiful Feet and a few other read alouds and readers, mostly chosen from Sonlight 3 and the Guest Hollow lists. I am using Guest Hollow's catagories/subject areas and book lists as my organizing principle and whichever spine I chose as a safety net, lest I miss something important.

I plan to liven things up with Homeschool in the Woods' Time Traveler series, maybe Colonial Life and the American Revolution and The Early 19th Century, if the budget allows.

Despite what seems like years of searching, I have yet to find something as good, easy, and fun as SOTW that focuses solely on US History. The best I have come up with is to use GuestHollows great, free!!!, curriculum and tweak as I see fit. (It is great all by itself, BTW. Well laid out, well organized and high quality. I am just an inveterate tweaker and must change everything...:D I highly reccomend it, especially if you have access to a great library--you can do history practically free then. )

I am putting together my own US history 1 for my DS (3rd) and DD (1st) next year. I will likely chose a spine from one of these two:

"A History of the United States and Its People"

or

"A First Book in American History"

both by Edward Eggleston, although I haven't made any hard decision on this. I am going to get the D'Aulaire pack from Beautiful Feet and a few other read alouds and readers, mostly chosen from Sonlight 3 and the Guest Hollow lists. I am using Guest Hollow's catagories/subject areas and book lists as my organizing principle and whichever spine I chose as a safety net, lest I miss something important.

I plan to liven things up with Homeschool in the Woods' Time Traveler series, maybe Colonial Life and the American Revolution and The Early 19th Century, if the budget allows.

Despite what seems like years of searching, I have yet to find something as good, easy, and fun as SOTW that focuses solely on US History. The best I have come up with is to use GuestHollows great, free!!!, curriculum and tweak as I see fit. (It is great all by itself, BTW. Well laid out, well organized and high quality. I am just an inveterate tweaker and must change everything...:D I highly reccomend it, especially if you have access to a great library--you can do history practically free then. )

I am doing the same thing. Using Guesthollow as a guide and adding in some fun stuff!!