Menu

Artistic Pursuits questions...

hsmom

Now is each book designed to be used one per year? Or do you use books 1-3 in one year? Are the books set up so that you use them in order or can you use the books in the oder you please?

Also what is your personal on this program? Did you and your child find it fun? Did your child learn what you felt they needed to by using this program?

We are using K-3 book one. There are 32 lessons and we do about one per week. We'll go onto book two in the fall.

I like the lessons. I like how it teaches what artists do along with a picture study and then onto creating their own art. I will definitely continue on with the series.

ETA: My son likes is ok. He enjoys learning about what artists do and he really enjoys the picture study. He does not really enjoy creating his own art. He feels that he's not good at it. I just tell him to try his best.

I agree that it does tend to stay on one medium for too long in book 1. I don't have other books so I can't comment on them, but the first book stays on watercolor crayons for far too many lessons. After a while DD was like, "Watercolor crayons again?" Maybe I should get book 2 so I could mix it up some. What I've chosen to do instead is use it along with How to Teach Art to Children. I've found that this book covers more of the basic concepts like contrasting colors, the color wheel, negative space, etc., that I'm not seeing in Artistic Pursuits book 1.

Overall, we've really enjoyed AP, even though it perhaps doesn't sound that way from this post, lol. Even if DD was a little tired of watercolor crayons, she's always said, "Yay! Art!" every time she knew we'd do it that day.

We are using K-3 book one. There are 32 lessons and we do about one per week. We'll go onto book two in the fall.

I like the lessons. I like how it teaches what artists do along with a picture study and then onto creating their own art. I will definitely continue on with the series.

:iagree:I really like how AP is set up. We have had it for a while now but started it this year because I wanted my son's drawing skill to improve before we started. I like the slow pace (although we started a few weeks ago) because it is currently teaching them how to think like artists and how artists work and get inspiration. Using the same medium for a long time does not bother me. My focus is on improving skill and my son loves the program :). I also have Drawing With Children, which I want to use along side my son to improve my skill also, but so far we do intent to continue with the AP series also. We do art twice a week but use this for the second day. My son loves checking out the Internet links. Anyway, my goal is to add Drawing With Children after we are done with the Usborne book so we will hopefully be doing one day AP and one day DWC. We shall see but for now the plan is to definitely continue with AP and buy more from the series, using one a year.

Now is each book designed to be used one per year? Or do you use books 1-3 in one year? Are the books set up so that you use them in order or can you use the books in the oder you please?

This should answer some of your other questions. I am not sure about the order but if you look in their site you should find the answer or perhaps you could e-mail them. I am looking at using the books in order because I am kinda OC that way :tongue_smilie:.