Menu

Story of the World (volumes 3 & 4) problem?

motherdear

We loved SOTW 1 and 2. Not so much with 3. I think my kids still like it, but I'm not as pleased with it as I was with the first two volumes. To me there seems to be a big jump in the density of the information, and the book is just not as interesting. There is less "story" in it, fewer fun little tidbits, etc. There is a lot of political focus that my kids don't really care about and don't remember much about. We're halfway through and plan to finish, but I will not be continuing with volume 4 next year. I have read through the table of contents, read a few sample chapters, and talked to other parents, and imo volume 4 is basically war, war, and more war. There is so much interesting modern history that revolves around people and the way they lived that I see no need to study a bunch of wars with my (then) nine and eight year olds.

Tara

I enjoyed using SOTW 3 and 4. We took three years to get through them as I added more American History but our kids were 10 and 12 when we finished.

IF I remember correctly, SOTW 3 lent itself quite well to geography. That year we did a lot of work on different countries as they were introduced in the book.

SOTW 4 could be overwhelming as far as violence, but I think it's very easy to work with or around. We briefly touched on things that might have been too much for the kids at that age (i.e. concentration camps). On the other hand, it's a great time to study what was going on in the US and the world during those years. We had great fun studying the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and so on. A lot of interesting (not just bad) things happened during modern history too. the Roaring 20s, Civil Rights, the Space Race, the Berlin Wall coming down, changes for women, how Britain became the empire the sun never set on, and so much more!

We've been using it with MFW (4th and 5th grade). I find it perfect for my oldest. As a matter of fact, We're really enjoying SOTW 4! I think SWB does an excellent job of explaining the facts at the 5th and up age level.

We did SOTW 4 when the boys were 3rd and 4th and I think it would have been fine for 5th or 6th, in fact for my next kid I am planning on doing SOTW 1-4 from 3rd grade to 6th and I think it will be perfect!

So yes I didn't really answer your question but for us it isn't that I couldn't see it working, it just wasn't for my boys at 8 and 9yo.

I wouldn't say that 3&4 were a problem for us. It wasn't the material covered that we had issues with. It was just that after being completely engaged with volumes 1&2, 3&4 had longer chapters (too long for me to read aloud and keep their interest), and denser material with more names, dates, and places. It was just too much material for my then-fourth grader.

My daughter is now in sixth grade, and I think it would be perfect for her...