Menu

For fun: What are your earliest memories?

My earliest memories are before I was 2 I was in the back yard, and a leaf started walking. I ran into the house screaming. I realized about 5 years ago that it was probably a katydid.

I was about 2 when my mum put me on the bench (counter-top ) and told me to yell out when the popcorn started popping. I don't know where she went, but when it started popping, it popped all over the floor. I didn't yell out, I jumped down to the floor and started eating it.

I also remember at around 2, my mum having am incinerator going in the back yard, and telling me to throw my bottle in. I didn't want to ,so she said if she was brave enough to throw in her hula hoop, than I should be brave enough to throw in my bottle. somehow this seemed logical to me, so I threw it in.

2 and 3-4 months (@ the time my sister was born)

I have memories of trying to walk in my cast. My mother 'dropped' me (really she was helping me off her 9 month pregnant lap and I landed funny) a few days before my sister was born. I held on to the mesh in the playpen or I crawled.

I also have memories of the end of potty training. My mother trained me the week she got back from the hospital so she wouldn't have 3 children in cloth diapers. I remember sitting on the potty chair and watching her change my new sister's diaper.

I also got into the diaper rash cream. It looked so cool and squinchy. My next brother and I squinched it when my mother wasn't there, but when we tried to wash off the evidence it wouldn't come off. I remember panicking. I did not use a towel because I knew they would find out. They did. At least my dad thought it was funny and scraped that stuff off our hands and sent us to play quietly.

Those are the youngest ones I can date.

It's been fun reading this because I've never met anyone who had specific memories before the ages of 4-6. My mother can barely remember when I was that age, let alone my siblings. Most of my friends have memories after 5 or so. Some after 8!

Three years old. Begging to attend my uncle's murderer's trial with my mom, aunts, and grandma because I did not like the relative who was supposed to babysit me. They relented, and my youngest aunt sat with me while I played on courthouse lawn. All of us walked across river bridge to drugstore soda fountain for lunch.

I remember the day when my brother was brought home from the hospital. I had just turned three. I was staying with my aunt down the road and she gave me bean soup for lunch. My younger cousin was sitting in her highchair and put a Weeble in her soup. Then we went to my house and I saw my brother for the first time. I remember talking about how tiny his fingers and toes were. My mother also claims that I tried to push him off her lap (though I have no memory of this).